Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal wedding called off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Let's kick Harlequins, the Coronas, and any non-Limerick runners who think they're taking part in the Great Limerick Run out of town too while we're at it, what do they have to do with Limerick afterall?

I hate to bring it up, but that rugby game, fierce foreign sport altogether....

(Yes, I know it's closely related to the old Gaelic game of Caid, the precursor (and superior game) to Gaelic football).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Let's kick Harlequins, the Coronas, and any non-Limerick runners who think they're taking part in the Great Limerick Run out of town too while we're at it, what do they have to do with Limerick afterall?

Sports events and paid gigs do not compare in the least to the wedding, no matter how hard you try to equate them to being the same thing they are not.

At this stage it matters little....they have wed, the shallow brigade put it on...it is done. Not one cent of my money will be spent in Limerick this weekend as a personal protest and the organisers of this event will never have any event they organise attended by me and mine. That is my right to choose as citizen of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'm sure they're gutted.

fact is there was Plenty of new faces in the market this morning, so if your one wasnt one of them, they care not. Its a numbers game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

To be honest Rango I didn't understand the logic you were using in one of your posts. You were saying that the Royal Wedding shouldn't be shown during Riverfest because it has nothing to do with Limerick.

There are plenty of other events taking place over Riverfest in Limerick where the events themselves or the participants have nothing to do with Limerick.
    • Athletics? Sure many Limerick people run, but the sport isn't limited to Limerick.
    • The Coronas? Not from Limerick.
    • Harlequins Rugby Club? What does a Guinness Premiership rugby team have to do with Limerick?
    • The French Market? Limerick's not in France.
    • Fireworks? A Chinese invention.
    • Currach racing? Connemara maybe, Limerick - not really.

If these events only have tenuous events to Limerick, then why are they being hosted at all during Riverfest, an event designed to showcase what Limerick has to offer? Well perhaps because the public and participants enjoy these events, in a similar way to how attendees at a fashion show might enjoys watching the Royal Wedding.

Rango555 wrote: »
    Sports events and paid gigs do not compare in the least to the wedding, no matter how hard you try to equate them to being the same thing they are not.

At this stage it matters little....they have wed, the shallow brigade put it on...it is done. Not one cent of my money will be spent in Limerick this weekend as a personal protest and the organisers of this event will never have any event they organise attended by me and mine. That is my right to choose as citizen of Ireland.

It would be far, far more proactive to arrange something yourself in Limerick and try and get people behind that than to start a boycott. Little things can make a difference.

If you want to celebrate Irish or Limerick culture why not find an aspect of it and make an event out of it? Doesn't have to be something massive, for example, there's a plaque on Thomas street that's often overlooked. Iirc it's where an Irish man, Michael Scanlon (?) was shot in the war of Independence/Civil war (as you can see I'm ignorant myself of it). Why not get a group together to get that plaque polished etc. Tiny gesture but far more proactive than a boycott. There's a similar one on Barrington street to do with a Limerickman involved with the Fenians.

I'd love to see a park dedicated to Det. Garda Jerry McCabe and have actually contacted a councillor about it as it's coming up to the 15th anniversary of his murder by the IRA. If you want to get behind that idea it'd be great to have you on board. Wouldn't it be a great way to remember that brave man?

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=gaf1983;71951461

[*]Currach racing? Connemara maybe, Limerick - not really.
    [/QUOTE]

There used to be a type of Currach native to Limerick called a brecaun, was a flatter bottomed boat that the west of Ireland currachs, you still see a few of them out by UL. I've asked a descendant of the last of the Abbey fisherman about them before, must get back onto him about them. (Think you might be a mutual friend of the guy btw).

• Athletics? Sure many Limerick people run, but the sport isn't limited to Limerick.
    • The Coronas? Not from Limerick.
    • Harlequins Rugby Club? What does a Guinness Premiership rugby team have to do with Limerick?
    • The French Market? Limerick's not in France.
    • Fireworks? A Chinese invention.
    • Currach racing? Connemara maybe, Limerick - not really.

[/QUOTE]

Athletics....Limerick athlethes
    The Coronas....A paid gig organised by Dolans
    Harlequins.....playing against Munster rugby club
    The Continental Market (as it is now known)....Overpriced produce that is mainly available through our own Market traders, I support local traders over that anyday.
    Fireworks...."a Chinese invention" Are you seriously grasping at straws that much that you want to compare that to hosting a British Royal Wedding on a big screen? I am sure that Limerick people are employed somewhere along the line in the show
    Currach racing....There are Limerick people involved in all aspects of the race.

You are seriously grasping at straws there mate.

It would be far, far more proactive to arrange something yourself in Limerick and try and get people behind that than to start a boycott. Little things can make a difference.

If you want to celebrate Irish or Limerick culture why not find an aspect of it and make an event out of it? Doesn't have to be something massive, for example, there's a plaque on Thomas street that's often overlooked. Iirc it's where an Irish man, Michael Scanlon (?) was shot in the war of Independence/Civil war (as you can see I'm ignorant myself of it). Why not get a group together to get that plaque polished etc. Tiny gesture but far more proactive than a boycott. There's a similar one on Barrington street to do with a Limerickman involved with the Fenians.

I'd love to see a park dedicated to Det. Garda Jerry McCabe and have actually contacted a councillor about it as it's coming up to the 15th anniversary of his murder by the IRA. If you want to get behind that idea it'd be great to have you on board. Wouldn't it be a great way to remember that brave man?

Oh lordy...bringing Jerry McCabe and all into this? That is some serious grasping at straws and trolling there bubs.

and those limerick people employed to facilitate the showing of the wedding? not as limerick as those hired to do the fireworks? The event was part of a bigger fashion show to promote and boost business for local limerick shops. And everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Live and let live rango. and let bygones be bygones.

also, harlequins arent playing young munster :p

Oh lordy...bringing Jerry McCabe and all into this? That is some serious grasping at straws and trolling there bubs.

how so? He suggested getting involved in local events and amenities, and talked of one he has suggested. who's trolling?

• Advertisement

I'm not, I'm giving an example of how you can get involved.

I could give a (better) example of how Zuroph is going off and arranging Zombiefestival.

Tbh, you can't accuse someone of trolling just because they say things you disagree with.

zuroph wrote: »
    how so? He suggested getting involved in local events and amenities, and talked of one he has suggested. who's trolling?

Why on earth would Jerry McCabe be brought into this discussion, and in such a manner? It is not as if I have mentioned anything even relating to the Gardaí, let alone the murder of Det McCabe.

~~If you cannot see how it is trolling then you are not worthy of your moderator status.~~This was my personal opinion and I will remove it if it really offended.

Why on earth would Jerry McCabe be brought into this discussion, and in such a manner? It is not as if I have mentioned anything even relating to the Gardaí, let alone the murder of Det McCabe. If you cannot see how it is trolling then you are not worthy of your moderator status.

I'm not a moderator here. I moderate a magic forum.

He just gave an example of people in the community doing stuff to benefit the community, instead of just giving out about the place.

I could give a (better) example of how Zuroph is going off and arranging Zombiefestival.

Kudos to Zuroph for organising his festival.

Me having an opinion on the hire of Big Screens to show a British Royal wedding has absolutely nothing to do with whatever my opinion may be on the murder of Jerry McCabe....bringing him into this discussion completely unsolicited and in an accusatory manner is not disagreeing with someone..it is trolling trying to take this discussion waaaay off topic.

I'm not a moderator here. I moderate a magic forum.

He just gave an example of people in the community doing stuff to benefit the community, instead of just giving out about the place.

And he is not involved in any of the activities himself.

You do not know if I do work in the community or not and it is not relevant to this discussion in any way.

It matters little which forum you moderate, my opinion still stands.

Why on earth would Jerry McCabe be brought into this discussion, and in such a manner? It is not as if I have mentioned anything even relating to the Gardaí, let alone the murder of Det McCabe. If you cannot see how it is trolling then you are not worthy of your moderator status.

I was pointing out how you can get involved. I even gave examples from the war of Independence and from the Fenians to avoid any sort of bias.

My point isn't about taking sides, it's about getting involved.

I was pointing out how you can get involved. I even gave examples from the war of Independence and from the Fenians to avoid any sort of bias.

My point isn't about taking sides, it's about getting involved.

It is completely off topic, if I wish to talk to you about my activities in the community I will do so in a relevant thread. Apologies if I am reading you wrong but it seems that you brought it in to this topic assuming that I am a die hard 'ra head...I am not.

Kudos to Zuroph for organising his festival.

Me having an opinion on the hire of Big Screens to show a British Royal wedding has absolutely nothing to do with whatever my opinion may be on the murder of Jerry McCabe....bringing him into this discussion completely unsolicited and in an accusatory manner is not disagreeing with someone..it is trolling trying to take this discussion waaaay off topic.

Accusatory manner? I asked if you wanted to help me. I already told you I got in contact with a councillor about it.

Again, I'm pointing out how people can make little differences.

whatever my opinion may be on the murder of Jerry McCabe...

nobody asked for your opinion on his murder.

nobody asked for your opinion on his murder.

Read my previous reply to Amazo apologising if I was reading him wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There used to be a type of Currach native to Limerick called a brecaun, was a flatter bottomed boat that the west of Ireland currachs, you still see a few of them out by UL. I've asked a descendant of the last of the Abbey fisherman about them before, must get back onto him about them. (Think you might be a mutual friend of the guy btw).

Still a few on Lough Derg as well, and a couple in use between O Brien's Bridge and Castleconnell.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Still a few on Lough Derg as well, and a couple in use between O Brien's Bridge and Castleconnell.

Yeah, seemingly there was different currachs for different parts of the river, there's a separate type used in Athlone too, iirc. It's the same on the coast, there's different currachs depending on what part of the coast you're at, Kerry ones are different to Clare ones for example.

I suppose, unlike coastal currachs, they mightn't be great for racing but it'd be cool to a have river currach race if we're going to have a currach race at all.

Yeah, seemingly there was different currachs for different parts of the river, there's a separate type used in Athlone too, iirc. It's the same on the coast, there's different currachs depending on what part of the coast you're at, Kerry ones are different to Clare ones for example.

I suppose, unlike coastal currachs, they mightn't be great for racing but it'd be cool to a have river currach race if we're going to have a currach race at all.

You can get a decent head of speed in one actually. Two men used to one can cover a lot of water.

Not the most agile due to length, but grand in a straight line.

The Lough Derg ones are the same as the Limerick ones. Flat bottomed and quite long. Ideal nowadays for slow moving or still waters and for fishing the shallows. They tend not to be used out in open water in the lake as the flat bottom can be a disadvantage at that point. In the olden days that flat bottom and lack of rips was very important as it meant that there was nothing underneath that could snag a working net.

But if you are looking for racing currachs then Kerry (called naomhogs there) or Cork made ones are for you.

The Limerick brecaun is actually based more on the Severn Long net boat or Severn Punt as it is more often referred to, than it was on a currach.

The modern day brecaun (along with older ones) are the spit of the punts and uses the same pole and paddle system for propulsion.

And like the Severn punts, the Limerick brecaun was most used for eel fishing (using eel traps) or salmon fishing (using long nets) .

As you might gather I have a bit of a gra for them and have spent a fair bit of time on a few between Ireland and the UK, although my experiences on them where to allow me to troll near river banks for pike rather than the traditional use.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You can get a decent head of speed in one actually. Two men used to one can cover a lot of water.

Not the most agile due to length, but grand in a straight line.

The Lough Derg ones are the same as the Limerick ones. Flat bottomed and quite long. Ideal nowadays for slow moving or still waters and for fishing the shallows. They tend not to be used out in open water in the lake as the flat bottom can be a disadvantage at that point. In the olden days that flat bottom and lack of rips was very important as it meant that there was nothing underneath that could snag a working net.

But if you are looking for racing currachs then Kerry (called naomhogs there) or Cork made ones are for you.

The Limerick brecaun is actually based more on the Severn Long net boat or Severn Punt as it is more often referred to, than it was on a currach.

The modern day brecaun (along with older ones) are the spit of the punts and uses the same pole and paddle system for propulsion.

And like the Severn punts, the Limerick brecaun was most used for eel fishing (using eel traps) or salmon fishing (using long nets) .

As you might gather I have a bit of a gra for them and have spent a fair bit of time on a few between Ireland and the UK, although my experiences on them where to allow me to troll near river banks for pike rather than the traditional use.

Interesting stuff Kess, this time next year I fully expect you to arrange a brecaun race. I'm happy to be an oarsman or whatever the Irish word for that is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Me having an opinion on the hire of Big Screens to show a British Royal wedding

The must have spent a fortune on those big screens :rolleyes:

3741750852.jpg

From the Leader.

Ms Holman Lee said the event, ‘Fashion Friday’, was scheduled before the date of the Royal wedding was announced and they were anxious that people might stay at home to watch the wedding if the market didn’t host a screening of the widely televised event.
    “It would have been a pity to have missed out on it, people would have stayed at home. That was the reason we did it,” she said.
    The screens remained on in the background with the volume turned down, as the first fashion show of the day kicked off at 11.30am.
    Full article http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/hundreds_watch_royal_wedding_at_limerick_s_milk_market_1_2639192

So Celia got in a 50inch flatscreen TV and put on Sky news on mute. The words mountain and molehill come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

storm_in_a_teacup.jpg

foinse wrote: »
    storm_in_a_teacup.jpg

Surrealist Art? You mean to tell me I've been taking part in a surrealist art project all this time? Explains the melting clocks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Surrealist Art? You mean to tell me I've been taking part in a surrealist art project all this time? Explains the melting clocks anyway.

Nah the melting clock has nothing to do with it, that's just your mind messing with ya.

This on the other hand:
    roadtonowhere_large.jpg

The must have spent a fortune on those big screens :rolleyes:

3741750852.jpg

From the Leader.

Ms Holman Lee said the event, ‘Fashion Friday’, was scheduled before the date of the Royal wedding was announced and they were anxious that people might stay at home to watch the wedding if the market didn’t host a screening of the widely televised event.
    “It would have been a pity to have missed out on it, people would have stayed at home. That was the reason we did it,” she said.
    The screens remained on in the background with the volume turned down, as the first fashion show of the day kicked off at 11.30am.
    Full article http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/hundreds_watch_royal_wedding_at_limerick_s_milk_market_1_2639192

So Celia got in a 50inch flatscreen TV and put on Sky news on mute. The words mountain and molehill come to mind

Smacks of a load of back tracking horse manure to me.

I reckon a proper screen was never sourced in time, and all the waffle from the councillors about being wary of potential protests was just bluster to cover their own cock up which was contradicted by another councillor saying that they were still trying to source an available screen.

And Holman Lee on about how the television was put in place to make sure people did not stay at home reeks of crap as well. As the screening of the wedding was advertised as being part of the event.

And the reason I say that I think it is just bull by the councillors and spin by Holman Lee is because a proper big screen event was advertised in the Evening Echo in Cork well before all the talk of problems with the screen/no screen.

A 50 inch tv tuned to Sky News whilst being on mute was a joke. They could have just switched to one of the channels showing the wedding live.

Small time planning by small time people with delusions of being big time planners and clelebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

It would have been too awkward for Logistics to get a huge screen in there anyway.

Advertisement