Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal wedding called off

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Kess73 wrote: »
    A 50 inch tv tuned to Sky News whilst being on mute was a joke. They could have just switched to one of the channels showing the wedding live.

Sky News showed the wedding live... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It would have been too awkward for Logistics to get a huge screen in there anyway.

Well they should not have advertised a giant screen showing the wedding if they were not able to provide it then.

A tv on mute is pretty much a joke token effort.

For Riverfest to become a major success they really have to start becoming consistant in putting on three days of good to excellent events each and every year it is on.

I can think of one really good Riverfest over the last 6 to 9 years. This year looks like it could be good, but the lack of consistency and the overhyping of events that turn out to be nothing like they claimed only hurt the festival.

Just say some people turned up for the giant screen showing of that wedding yesterday after having read about it in the Evening Echo a couple weeks ago. In that paper it was spoken off as a massive screen being in place for watching the wedding with the fashion show and the stalls being mentioned.

Then those folk get there and all they find is a television on mute :D, and a "fashion show" by a wannabee celeb.

Granted there were people who were mouthing off about the wedding being shown in Ireland, and there would be people like myself who would have no interest in watching it but who had no problem with it being shown, but I reckon if they had followed through on their advertised giant screen showing, and it was advertised as a big event that was part of Riverfest, that there would have been a surprisingly large amount of people that wouyld have shown up to watch it that would then buy stuff from the stalls or get lunch in the nearby pubs etc.

I just think it was a lost opportunity to draw in extra people to the city centre yesterday.

I am critical of it today, but only because it could have been far more than it was.

Today should be much better for Riverfest, thanks in no small part to the Munster game being on so early. That will draw in thousands of extra people to the city centre, and while there are some good events on today, if I was an organiser for the event, as soon as I knes there was a big Munster game with lots of travelling support for the other team, I would have done everything to push out the boat to encourage bigger musical acts, and maybe tried to have something like a big outdoor comedy event to compliment the other things going on.

Sky News showed the wedding live... :confused:

Sorry I meant switch it to one of the Irish channels that were showing it live. I was not sure if it was just RTE or if TV3 were also showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Where did read they were going to be giant screens, Kess?

The organiser on Joe Duffy made the point that they'd be tv screens and that's about 10/11 days ago now.

Where did read they were going to be giant screens, Kess?

The organiser on Joe Duffy made the point that they'd be tv screens and that's about 10/11 days ago now.

The Evening Echo ( chance it was the Cork Examiner/Irish examiner) in Cork had a run down of events for Riverfest and it was listed as being a giant/big screen, and that was before the kerfuffle from the council from the 20th April onwards about whether it would happen or not.

I think it the Dublin media in which the festival was advertised also had a mention of the wedding on a big screen.

Pretty sure that at some point it was described as a big screen showing on Live 95FM a few weeks back on one of the morning shows as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Nearly 100 years after independence and some folk still have a bee in their bonnet about anything British :rolleyes:

Britain is our most important trading partner, our nearest neighbour, the country with which we have most ethnic and cultural ties with and more important an important ally. If people want to watch the royal wedding on a big screen then let them. If this wedding was in Holland or Spain i don't think there would be as much controversy.

Let it go people....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Evening Echo ( chance it was the Cork Examiner/Irish examiner) in Cork had a run down of events for Riverfest and it was listed as being a giant/big screen, and that was before the kerfuffle from the council from the 20th April onwards about whether it would happen or not.

I think it the Dublin media in which the festival was advertised also had a mention of the wedding on a big screen.

Pretty sure that at some point it was described as a big screen showing on Live 95FM a few weeks back on one of the morning shows as well.

It's ok to point out what the media reported, I'm going on what the organiser actually said. Imo, the media overplayed this to make a few waves as a few tv's isn't as big a story. Could be wrong but I don't think I've seen anything official suggesting massive screens were ever an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

. Could be wrong but I don't think I've seen anything official suggesting massive screens were ever an option.

Ahem...Watch the Royal wedding on the Big Screen!!! and a link I have already posted twice on this thread in reply to your posts Watch the Royal Wedding LIVE on the big screen!
    So Celia got in a 50inch flatscreen TV and put on Sky news on mute. The words mountain and molehill come to mind.

There is some serious back tracking from Celia and co and some very selective propoganda from yourself...you cannot even quote the screen size correctly from the link you provided :rolleyes:
    grenache wrote: »
    Nearly 100 years after independence and some folk still have a bee in their bonnet about anything British rolleyes.gif

Limericks Riverfest...it just ain't cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

grenache wrote: »
    Nearly 100 years after independence and some folk still have a bee in their bonnet about anything British :rolleyes:

Britain is our most important trading partner, our nearest neighbour, the country with which we have most ethnic and cultural ties with and more important an important ally. If people want to watch the royal wedding on a big screen then let them. If this wedding was in Holland or Spain i don't think there would be as much controversy.

Let it go people....

We all have to move on, I agree, but having a big screen (or the plan was to...) in a public place in Limerick was out of order imo. You can agree or disagree with my reasons or call them crazy..

What does the Royal family stand for?

How did it acquire its wealth?

What did the Royal institution do in Ireland throughout history that really benefitted us? I can't think of any of my head...

Now, today they are just ceremonial and have no influence like they had, but they did at one stage, and made decisions in this country that contributed negatively to a large number of people in Ireland. Yes, all the decisions made in the recent past have been by the Irish, but at least we made them ourselves!

We all move on, but we should not forget either.

This is why I think we should not be fawning over royalty, and most definitely not putting it on a big screen in Limerick. The people who were fawning over it should have a think about what they were fawning over.

I think if we are going to show the Brit royal wedding on tv, we should show any future royal weddings from Holland,Denmark, Norway etc, and any other celeb weddings as well, just to pander for the Hello/Closer/Heat reading public and the general dumbing down of society..........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

seachto7 wrote: »
    This is why I think we should not be fawning over royalty, and most definitely not putting it on a big screen in Limerick. The people who were fawning over it should have a think about what they were fawning over.

Like hats, dresses and shoes? I reckon they were fawning over/thinking about those during their fashion show alright. :pac:

• Advertisement

Like hats, dresses and shoes? I reckon they were fawning over/thinking about those during their fashion show alright. :pac:

The people who were wearing those dresses and hats.....:o:o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah yeah, I know what you mean. :)

There was a lot of symbolic meaning to the event. The legacy of what British royalty used to stand for won't be forgotten for another few generations at least.

I have to admit though, some of the quotes going around on Facebook made me smile. Some people just like the fairy-tale image of a happy prince and princess. It's easier sometimes to ignore skeletons in the cupboard and just enjoy the frills, the splendour, the big show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

IMO the 50" screen was damn big! Well, compared to the 22" that I have.:rolleyes:

Some people just like the fairy-tale image of a happy prince and princess. It's easier sometimes to ignore skeletons in the cupboard and just enjoy the frills, the splendour, the big show.

This is it. I have no problem moving on from those skeletons, but they are still there rattling around in the not too distant past as well. But when I mentioned those skeletons I was told to "get over it, and move on".

I am in no way a chest beating nationalist, but you can't just conveniently cover up the closet to play fairytales for a day with royalty.....

Advertisement