Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mountain - Timelapse

• 20-04-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if it's already been posted. Very impressive...

http://vimeo.com/22439234
    This was filmed between 4th and 11th April 2011. I had the pleasure of visiting El Teide.

Spain´s highest mountain @(3718m) is one of the best places in the world to photograph the stars and is also the location of Teide Observatories, considered to be one of the world´s best observatories.

The goal was to capture the beautiful Milky Way galaxy along with one of the most amazing mountains I know El Teide. I have to say this was one of the most exhausting trips I have done. There was a lot of hiking at high altitudes and probably less than 10 hours of sleep in total for the whole week. Having been here 10-11 times before I had a long list of must-see locations I wanted to capture for this movie, but I am still not 100% used to carrying around so much gear required for time-lapse movies.

A large sandstorm hit the Sahara Desert on the 9th April (bit.ly/​g3tsDW) and at approx 3am in the night the sandstorm hit me, making it nearly impossible to see the sky with my own eyes.

Interestingly enough my camera was set for a 5 hour sequence of the milky way during this time and I was sure my whole scene was ruined. To my surprise, my camera had managed to capture the sandstorm which was backlit by Grand Canary Island making it look like golden clouds. The Milky Way was shining through the clouds, making the stars sparkle in an interesting way. So if you ever wondered how the Milky Way would look through a Sahara sandstorm, look at 00:32.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the colours are so garish it's painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Go make a better one yourself then showing the level of detail he's captured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

steve06 wrote: »

That's a pretty stupid response.

steve06: Gigli is a brilliant movie.

me: It left a lot to be desired, Also, Ben Affleck really really can't act.

steve06 (stroppily): Go make a movie yourself then portraying the same moving depth of character development and feeling as in Gigli. BTW, I love Ben Affleck.

me: :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sorry; i'll refrain from critique in future until i am able to replicate and beat what i'm critiquing.

That's a pretty stupid response.

Hardly a stupid response given the time and effort that was put into it, and also considering photography is very subjective. To dismiss all of that and say "the colours are so garish it's painful." is a silly response.

• Advertisement

Hardly a stupid response given the time and effort that was put into it
    i couldn't care less if he's a paraplegic and spent 20 hours climbing the mountain and his granny's pension getting the shots - the colours are completely overblown and ruin it for me.
    and it's precisely because photography is subjective that i'm able to say that.

he gets judged on the output, not the input. end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hardly a stupid response given the time and effort that was put into it, and also considering photography is very subjective. To dismiss all of that and say "the colours are so garish it's painful." is a silly response.

It's a stupid response because, as MB suggests above, you're maintaining that in order to critique something you have to make something equivalent. Hence my comment about Gigli. A lot of time and effort was put into that, along with a whopping 54 million dollars, and it's a steaming turkey. An unwatchable pile of crap. Now, see how I can say that despite not having almost 60 million dollars handy ?

Forget it lads, thread is obviously going nowhere. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Steve ... what are you trying to do ... push your opinion/view of the video on others ?

its a video clip - one person commented their opinion on the clip - they didn't enjoy it and they gave a reason why...its not for you to judge their opinion, others may like the video (like yourself).

there's no need to attack the poster because they have a different opinion to your own - just accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I'll try and comment on the video rather than comment on the comments :rolleyes:

I think the colours are badly over-saturated in many parts, and there is a softness to some of the sequences that suggests over-cropping or lack of focus. However, I still think it's beautiful. It's a shame the photographer felt the need to sexy it up. He really didn't need to.

On a related note, I'm really tempted to give time-lapses with a dolly a try. They really give a sense of depth to a scene even though they're actually moving very little. It just goes to show how good our eyes are at using a little bit of parallax to sense depth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement