Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert as an external candidate

Options
  • 20-04-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

If applying to do the leaving cert as an external candidate, are there any compulsory subjects, or can you choose what/how many you want to do? (i.e. what will be useful when applying for the college course you want, e.g. choosing only scientific subjects if applying for a science based course etc) Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

There are no compulsary subjects if you are applying as an external candidate.

This year, I'm am sitting Irish only.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lplates

Thanks, also, do you know what you can do about practical and experiments etc. in a subject like biology if you are doing the study for it at home without attending a course? do you actually have to do an experiment or just know the theory?

I would say OP that for the likes of Biology, you will get away without actually doing the experiments. If you get yourself a good revision book it would cover the experiments and all you would have to do is learn them off. The fact is that many schools simply do not have the funding for resources to cover Leaving Cert students to do the experiments, I remember (many years ago, mind !) my biology teacher giving us experiments to learn off, as though we had done it !! Obviously for subjects such as art, woodwork etc you would have practicals to submit, but for the laboratory science subjects while they're all for having students in schools doing the experiements, they can get asked LC questions about them without ever actually doing them, if you get me !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lplates

ok thanks that makes things a bit easier.
    do external candidates do the mocks as well, like ordinary students?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

lmwell wrote: »
    There are no compulsary subjects if you are applying as an external candidate.

This year, I'm am sitting Irish only.

Hey lmwell, im doing tha same as yourself, repeating the irish, how you finding it? Much done?:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement