Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY - pebbles in garden?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

I've got a small back yard that is currently filled with rather ugly concrete. The ground is a good foot below the back door so i was thinking of putting a layer of pebbles, about 8-10cm i guess. What i'm wondering is how do i protect the drains from pebbles getting in without inhibiting their function of taking water from gutters and excess surface water from the garden.

Also i'm hoping to put the pebbles directly on to the concrete - is this ok/advisable?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Hi Dara,

I already answered your question in your original thread :)

I put a fair few pics up also with suggestions for your courtyard.

Anyway the following is a copy and paste of what I wrote in the other thread about the gravel/pebbles and drains:

gravel/pebbles - please choose a colour of stone that goes with the house..ie if your house is granite go for gray gravel, don't go for the illuminous yellow gravel.. it doesn't match any natural stone..

You can probably get "proper" drain covers in a builder's suppliers - or alternatively just make them with a bit of wire - like chicken wire but small enough that stones don't get through.. You could mark the drains by having a particular pot over them.. I wouldn't be too worried about them..you'll find them if you really have to..

I'd just throw the gravel right onto the concrete.. 5cm as said above is plenty - shop around and haggle for price of gravel.. get it by the tonne bag rather than buying it in a shop in small bags!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

why the need for a brand new thread when u already had this from 11/04/2011
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71633180

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

dararyder wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've got a small back yard that is currently filled with rather ugly concrete. The ground is a good foot below the back door so i was thinking of putting a layer of pebbles, about 8-10cm i guess. What i'm wondering is how do i protect the drains from pebbles getting in without inhibiting their function of taking water from gutters and excess surface water from the garden.

Also i'm hoping to put the pebbles directly on to the concrete - is this ok/advisable?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dara

For starters 30-50mm should be plenty deep for a layer of decorative pebbles. Gulleys can be easily protected and levels adjusted by inserting a gulley riser. You'll need to cut riser to match new level. Gulley risers are available from your local Builders Providers. Ensure that each gulley has it's own grille to prevent pebbles falling in and potentially causing a blockage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dararyder

Thanks for all the info guys and apologies for the repost. I'm not very technically minded and couldn't find the thread.

Dara

Advertisement