Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zelda 3:A link to the past VS Secret of Mana

• 20-04-2011 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Tough one I know but my vote goes to Zelda 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 buttersbrady

A Link To The Past definitely. The puzzles, the music, the charm. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Not a tough one at all

Link to the past is the best Zelda of all time

End of discussion

also it was never called Zelda 3 it was Legend of Zelda Link to the Past

zelda3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Well I have played and completed both and think both are great, Zelda shades it for the puzzles though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Zelda craps on Secret of mana, Miyamoto is the best square isn't its that simple

Let the flame wars begin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Gonna break the trend and say secret of mana, if only because it's easy and I can beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

megaten wrote: »
    Gonna break the trend and say secret of mana, if only because it's easy and I can beat it.

They are both not that difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Secret of Mana. I never liked the combat in LttP.

Plus SoM has some kind of magic in it that lets me excuse all its minor failings (glitches, cut content, missing orbs, nonsense plot, etc.)

LttP just... eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

They are both not that difficult

I have this problem with zelda games where I reach the second to last dungeon and just stop playing. I don't know why. Only one I've ever beaten is wind waker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Both amazing games but the music on Mana is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

Love both. SoM was the first game I got from the US and had to buy an adapter for it.

I'm going with ALttP though just for the puzzles. I think I've replayed it pretty much every year.

Recently replayed SoM and while I love the game world and the music (oh that music.....) it gets really hack/slashy. Hit switch, doors open, switch weapons, axe-whip.

God I loved the SNES: ALttP, SOM, FF3/6, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun :-)

• Advertisement

The worst bits about SoM were when trying to level all your weapons to Lv.8.99, iirc the Claw and Axe (and maybe others), didn't have enough weapon orbs.
    The only way to get them was with a RANDOM drop from any monster in Mana Fortress, and you had to analyze the box beforehand, AND it was still very rare.
    And then you had to fight your way back out! :pac:

Very messy. All those missing bits are a legacy of the original planned SNES-CD release (which of course never came out, see Sony PS1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The worst bits about SoM were when trying to level all your weapons to Lv.8.99, iirc the Claw and Axe (and maybe others), didn't have enough weapon orbs.

Oh yes, I spent many an hour away grinding in the Ice Forest and Wind Palace.

I'm tempted to just play it again with some cheat code that gives me everything at max level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both completely different games. Ones an RPG the other is an action metroid type game. I'd pick LttP for single player but Secret of Mana is great for 3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Both completely different games. Ones an RPG the other is an action metroid type game. I'd pick LttP for single player but Secret of Mana is great for 3 players.

Having played through both again in the last 4 months, I wouldn't say they're COMPLETELY different. Gameplay wise, Secret of Mana feels like the middle point between LTTP and Chrono Trigger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LttP is more structured and tight in it's design while Secret of Mana for me is far more open ended in it's combat and exploration like an RPG. They're top down but the combat and progression are just completely different for me.

SoM art > LttP art

sample_62e137b86518f4f1b547097e6320cb90.jpg?1149489

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Not a tough one at all

Link to the past is the best Zelda of all time

End of discussion

That or Majora's Mask is my favourite.

If this had been between LTTP and Chrono Trigger, I'm not sure which way i'd go..

Advertisement