Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech Delay and Learning Difficulties - Advice

Options
  • 20-04-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi All

My Daughter is 3yrs and 8 mths old. She was a late talker which we put down to having to have Grommets fitted at 19 mths old. I took her to her GP at 2 yrs old to discuss her unresolved Speech delay and other temper and behaviour issues which i felt were stemming from her speech delay.

We both agreed that she should be referred to the Early Intervention Childhood Services - I waited for approx 4 mths without an appointment and then I began calling them to see how long more we should expect to wait. I eventually got a phonecall fr them and they asked me lots of questions about my daughter. I answered all her questions and was told there on the spot that it didn't sound like she needed their help and to continue with S&L therapy which we did. As I wasn't happy with this I asked her to be referred to Child Psychology which she began seeing in Jan this year.

I have just come from our final appointment with her and she has said that although she is unable to diagnose or "label" my Child she does feel that there is more of a problem than just speech and that in her opinion there is some sort of learning difficulty present as she is scoring for a Child around 2 years old in some areas. She wouldn't commit to a diagnosis of Autism or Aspergers as she feels my daughter is too affectionate to fall into this category.

Her suggestion is to refer her to Early Childhood Intervention servies again which makes me so mad because had she been seen in the first instance we would now be a full year into her treatment. She also told me that there is no longer an S&L therapist covering our area and that she cannot be seen in any other area! When asked what I can do about this she could only suggest I write to my local Councillor to complain about the situation!

I am so upset and worried about this I literally dont know where to turn, I have no real idea as to my rights and that of my Daughter in this situation and really find it hard to accept what has been told to me. I do not have anything near the money it would take to seek Private Speech Therapy so really just wondered if any other parents have been in similar situations and have any advice as to what I can do to get my daughter the help she really needs.

Sorry about the long - winded post but I am really at my wits end here! Any advice would be most greatfully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

HI, im in the same situation.

my fella has/had same issues as your lady but he was put into the early intervention services at 2 years and 2 months under the assessment for need 2005.

he has recieved speech therapy, early intervention educator both group and one to one, wait listed for psychology and for asd assessment.

he got the asd assessment 3 weeks ago age 4 and 2 months as he starts school in September. because he is affectionate he does not fit into an asd category.

his non verbal iq is 98 (has potential to reach that with s&l therapy)
    his verbal IQ is 65
    could not do processing

possible ADHD wont send him for that assessment for another year as they still think behavior is linked to his speech and language difficulties. this time next year he has to have another assessment and then they will see where to go from there. (i hate the waiting ive been waiting 2 years so far for answers and have nothing)

2 days ago i got his speech and language assessment his scores were rock bottom, he is in the first percentile for expressive/receptive and phonological speech. it was put this way, out of 100 children 99 would do better than Ryan.

They recommended resource hours and an SNA for school, now is a waiting game to see if he will get an sna and resource hours. The early intervention services are keeping my son as he needs help in 2 areas they are psychology and speech and language therapy aslo early education.

Your best bet is to get help from the early intervention services if you have not applied through the assessment of need 2005 then do it that way, your public health nurse can refer you. if you have a report from the assessment of need already what does it say/recommend?

AS long as your daughter is struggling in 2 disciplines (i.e. speech and language/behavior) she should be seen by the early intervention services, children who are are struggling in 1 area say speech are referred to SLP only.

best of luck......

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

I feel your pain! Will he get 1 to 1 in school? My psychologist said they will not give my daughter 1 to 1 in pre school so she'll be without it for a while as she doesn't start big school til 2012 when she will be 5 and 1 mth.

I find it hard to believe that the "affectionate" issue excludes kids fr asd diagnosis - is it not remotely possible that a child can have some type of ASD and still be affectionate???

if this was in america they would have a diagnoses of PDD-NOS they dont diagnose that in ireland.....

Ive added more above... my fella is in preschool and got an SNA for 2 days a week. he goes 4 days thy wont take him 5 day, the 2 extra days he does they ave extra staff on...

I live in co clare are you anywhere near also there are face book pages that might offer you some help, one is the special needs parents association..

LINK

https://www.facebook.com/#!/SpecialNeedsParentsAssociation

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

Thanks Grindelwald!

I'm in Co Galway and it seems to be a whole slower process here. After seeing what you posted Im looking forward to her getting stuck into the Early Intervention services. At least you have some concrete figures to work off - I have nothing like that- so mad that had she been seen initially we could be at that stage now.

Still find it v hard to believe that because the S&L therapist for my area has left the HSE they cannot replace her and therfore all kids in my area have to go without!!! Sounds tantamount to discrimination in my book. If I was from a minority group I could take a case against the HSE on those grounds!

Anyway good to know Im not alone - keep me posted on your wee mans progress or any developments and I'll do the same - oh and I checked out the link too - Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

if this was in america they would have a diagnoses of PDD-NOS they dont diagnose that in ireland.....

Ive added more above... my fella is in preschool and got an SNA for 2 days a week. he goes 4 days thy wont take him 5 day, the 2 extra days he does they ave extra staff on...

I live in co clare are you anywhere near also there are face book pages that might offer you some help, one is the special needs parents association..

LINK

https://www.facebook.com/#!/SpecialNeedsParentsAssociation

Sorry to butt in......PDD-NOS is diagnosed in Ireland. My son is in group therapy with 2 children with PDD-NOS.

• Advertisement

funny i was told by the early intervention services (c.e.i.s.) that they dont diagnose pdd-nos and that if i wanted that diagnoses i would have to go to Dublin and go privately to get the pdd - nos diagnoses.

Just to say that the a psychologist left c.e.i.s and that was over 18 months ago and only got replaced 2 weeks ago, they had to hire in some one to do the school assessments because there wasnt anyone. ( they do have 2 part time psychologist but their books were full, my son had been dropped in to a black hole and forgotten about).

My lad only has 1 year left at C.E.I.S and then he will be transfered where too i couldnt tell you, one bridge at a time. Were on the right track now.

seabre best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orlaeryn

Hi Seabre,

You are entitled to apply for the 'assesment of need' , through the HSE.This is under the disability act 2005, and is a for any parent of a child under 5 to apply for, if they feel their child has any developmental problems.

It is meant to take up to 6 months in total to complete, and will consist of whatever assesments the team feel are appropriate for your child, usually Speech and language assesment, Occupational therapy assesment, Psychology are the basics plus whatever else is needed. At the end you will be given a detailed report outlining what your child needs.

I myself have been throuh this process with my 3 1/2 year old daughter. She presented with quite a severe speech and language delay, as well as general social and communication delays form about 15 months of age. Aged 2, and through the HSE, she was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, which is an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I know many families in Ireland who have had children diagnosed with PDD-NOS both through the public system and privately.

My daughter is extremely affectionate and loves the company of adults and children alike. i feel , unfortunately, a lot of our psychologists are just very inexperienced with Autism, and fail to understand that it really is a spectrum, and no two people with the condition will ever present the same They still expect rain man to walk in, and believe in the myth that no autistic child could ever want affection.

Anyway, follow your gut feeling, get your child assesed, either through the act, or privately. Regardless of what is diagnosed early intervention is crutial.Unfortunately be prepared that you will most likely pay privately for services, as those offeres through the HSE are limited.

Goodluck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

It is worth looking and contacting the attached link, for Irish Autism Action, they can give advise on what you are entitled to both public and private help

www.autismireland.ie

Advertisement