Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is love for retro games just nostalgia

• 20-04-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Firstly I want to ask are there people here that actually prefer retro games over todays games or do you just like them but still prefer todays games and do you only like retro games because of nostalgic reasons and secondly are there any younger gamers here that were either not born or too young when the likes of super metroid or zelda a link to the past came out and are only discovering these games now and actually prefer these retro games over todays modern ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 powpow

IMO it's mainly nostalgia, although many retro-heads claim its because the storyline of most modern games are shallow in comparison.

I see their arguement, but It depends if you play games for their gameplay or for their storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Retro is just more Goodness in the honey pot, plus i think they are better because they were less Business oriented and the developers had a bit more freedom while now its 250 people making one game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, its not nostalgia, any more than watching and loving The Maltese Falcon or BenHur is just nostalgia.
    Just because something is old does not make it irrelevant, just because it's not current gen does not make it obsolete.
    Sonic, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Thunder Force IV, DuckHunt, Wonderboy in Monsterland or Tetris, these games are as enjoyable now as they were when launched.

Many of those here who are playing these games were not even born when the NES was launched, nor old enough to buy their own games for the Megadrive.
    So nostalgia is not a feature.
    I was about for the lot, playing games since the 70's, and so there is some sort of nostalgia wrapped up in it all, but is not all about nostalgia, not at all.

Far sadder is the desire to wrap yourself in the latest software and hardware to the exclusion of everything else, ignoring what has gone before as irrelevant.
    What a pity!
    So, no Super Mario Bros 3, no Sonic 2, no Zelda OoT, no Virtual Boy, no GameboyPocket, what a colourless world to live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

a bit of both for me anyway.

i found that the older platforms(c64 etc)are just pure nostaglia but the consoles and most arcade games are still playable even if they are 8 bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's definitely not nostalgia, a good game will always be a good game. I think some games however are a product of their time and looking back weren't as good as you remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Totally agree, im mean Zelda, Mario etc are all still highly playable games

but look at Goldeneye. It was great when it game out, but i swear i played it a few weeks ago and could not got the hang of the gun flying everywhere, i felt sick after a few minutes from it and the game itself isnt as good as i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Nostalgia for the most part here, love reminiscing about games I used to/wanted to play back in the day, and don't really go out of my way to find or play new release games.

But love when I finally get around to playing a new game like 5 years after it's release and loving it!

Advertisement