Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name of Old Flight Simulator on PC?

• 20-04-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I remember playing this old flight simulator game on my friends PC in the early 1990s. I was amazed by it. I guess it was a DOS game. It had polygon graphics. I remember it had game saves and you started off on a aircraft carrier and had dog fights.

I'd love to play that game again, maybe it is now abandonware. Does anyone know the name of it?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Try looking at microprose titles from the era, typically named after the headline fighter, a carrier launched one so it might me f/a 18 hornet something or other, f 14 Tomcat that sort of thing.
    Digital Integrations made a lot of sims then as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Microsoft Flight Simulator? I think you can grab it on Abandonia or one of those at this stage.

microsoft-flight-simulator-4-pc-game-dosbox-1.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looked up one and it was called Falcon 3.0

falcon3_007.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

wouldn't happen to be carrier command by any chance ? or F117a Stealth fighter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Flight of the Intruder perhaps?

Abandonware sites have loads of these sims listed, might be better off browsing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

A-10 Cuba?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

A-10 Cuba?

No, that was from 1996. The game I refer to was 1993 or earlier.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jhegarty wrote: »

The game I am thinking of had graphics that were more polygon like graphics. The part with the take off from the aircraft carrier is what I remember the most as I kept overshooting and crashing into the sea. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

F16 Combat Pilot?

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    F16 Combat Pilot?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Also remember playing this in the early 90's...

Jetfighter II?

BlueDrax wrote: »
    Also remember playing this in the early 90's...

Jetfighter II?

I don't think that is the one. This is gonna be touch to find that particular game that I'm thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Is it any of the games on this list?

http://www.listal.com/list/evolution-combat-flight-simulators

Might be one of them from 1991-1994, maybe "TFX: Tactical Fighter Experiment" as that was very much a polygon game.

Steve SI wrote: »

F/A-18 Interceptor - Amiga 500 looks like a good bet (maybe it was on an Amiga?).

Advertisement