Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Politics

Options
  • 20-04-2011 6:39pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

I was banned from Politics a long time ago, without sufficient explanation. The harshness of the ban, ie Permanent, was not given justification.

I would like to return to the politics forum if that is possible, I do not believe any previous posts warrant such a punishment, and alot of extremist posters in there are given free reign.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you since PM'd the mod who banned you to see if you can sort this out over PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dades wrote: »
    Have you since PM'd the mod who banned you to see if you can sort this out over PM?

He hasn't, but re-reading his posting record in Politics, I wouldn't really be inclined to revisit his ban. Looking at his record since that ban doesn't do anything to alter my views that letting him back on the forum would be a mistake. If I were to be unkind, I would suggest that DB10 is looking for access to Politics after 4 months because 4 days ago he was banned from Soccer for 6 months.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Scofflaw wrote: »
    He hasn't, but re-reading his posting record in Politics, I wouldn't really be inclined to revisit his ban. Looking at his record since that ban doesn't do anything to alter my views that letting him back on the forum would be a mistake. If I were to be unkind, I would suggest that DB10 is looking for access to Politics after 4 months because 4 days ago he was banned from Soccer for 6 months.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

I'm not sure where you can see that, but that was a mistake by a moderator I think, it's a 14 day ban.

Anyway I'm not sure about your first point, but your second point isn't exactly correct , because I actually only regained access to the soccer forum after a previous 6 month ban last year. So it's not as if I've been banned from there and so want to return to politics, I've been banned from both for ages.

And I can't remember why I was banned, but I tended to gain small infractions although alot of which in both forums I thought were very unfair, but again you can't really get them overturned. The point I'm trying to make is I've never had any severe charter breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

DB10 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you can see that, but that was a mistake by a moderator I think, it's a 14 day ban.

Anyway I'm not sure about your first point, but your second point isn't exactly correct , because I actually only regained access to the soccer forum after a previous 6 month ban last year. So it's not as if I've been banned from there and so want to return to politics, I've been banned from both for ages.

And I can't remember why I was banned, but I tended to gain small infractions although alot of which in both forums I thought were very unfair, but again you can't really get them overturned. The point I'm trying to make is I've never had any severe charter breaches.

I'm only commenting on Dades' question as to whether you'd contacted me by PM - I have to leave the issue itself to Dades or nesf, who can read your user history for himself.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Your user history leads me to believe that you have not altered your behaviour since the ban, as such it stays in place.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Your user history leads me to believe that you have not altered your behaviour since the ban, as such it stays in place.
    How so?

My user history has been very clean, and once again I have never been told why I was permanently banned from the forum? Once again I see a moderator using his powers behind close doors to make sure I can't get back in.

I don't see how false accusations from the moderator above are in anyway relevant to now, a discussion about a ban a long time ago in the politics forum for a small number of infractions.

Claims that I am banned from the soccer forum for 6 months, are false and I don't believe this comment below is very fair either, both of which are clearly a part of this judgement.
    I have to leave the issue itself to Dades or nesf, who can read your user history for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Your User Record states a 14 day ban from Soccer and a 6 month ban from Soccer. A Permanent ban from Hip Hop (lifted a month later) and a 3 month ban from After Hours since January.

Really, this is not anything like a clean record and the record of a persistent troublemaker meaning that I am not going to argue this further with you, I've made my position clear.

Dades may or may not deign to argue this further with you.

The Hip Hop ban, as one of the others mentioned is irrelevant as it was later quashed because it was a massive mistake. I don't even post in Hip Hop.

A 6 month ban in soccer which I served, my ban from politics has not be justified, I've already served 6 months and that is surely enough , I missed out on all the general election stuff because of it and never tried to get back in. If I truely was a troll as some think then I would have desperately tried to get back in at that time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You'd need a good reason to reopen a permanent ban, and I'm not seeing one.

It's not as if you have a clean record in other forums to suggest you might not be the same poster that was banned. In fact there is nothing to suggest you've changed the posting style that got you banned in the first place.

I don't know the background to your original ban but it seems a bit late in the day to be challenging it.

I don't see why it's late to be challenging it, it wasn't justified at the beginning and I still don't think it has been.

I also don't see why a ban from soccer last year is relevant now.

• Advertisement

Can this be taken to an admin? I want to push this as far as I can because I feel I don't deserve the length of punishment, either way should get this finished soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Can this be taken to an admin? I want to push this as far as I can because I feel I don't deserve the length of punishment, either way should get this finished soon enough.

Sorry for the delay.

I'll take a look at this for you.

I need to dig around a bit first, to see what I can find about why you were given a perma-ban in the first place, so please bear with me. I'll get through it as quickly as I can manage.

If I have any questions for you, the CMods or the Politics Mods, I'll air them here and PM the relevant parties.

bonkey wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay.

I'll take a look at this for you.

I need to dig around a bit first, to see what I can find about why you were given a perma-ban in the first place, so please bear with me. I'll get through it as quickly as I can manage.

If I have any questions for you, the CMods or the Politics Mods, I'll air them here and PM the relevant parties.
    Thanks. I'm in no rush anyway, just didn't want it to fall off the page or be forgotten.

Any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Any updates.

OK...here's where I'm at...

I can see where you're coming from. Your Politics ban, taken entirely in isolation from anything other then the Politics forum, is harsh.

The thing is, that I'm not sure its reasonable for it to be taken entirely in isolation.

As far as I can see from events at the time, your behaviour (as opposed to your views) merited a ban. From how I read things, your history on boards in general suggested to the mods that it was highly unlikely that a ban was likely to cause you to change your ways...so rather than having to go through a series of escalating bans, they just cut to the chase.

You were banned from Politics in mid-December, 2010. Since then, you have amassed 12 assorted cards (reds and yellows) and 5 bans. Roughly speaking, thats a yellow or red a fortnight, and a ban a month. (Since beginning this appeal, you've been quite busy in this regard.)

It also seems that you tried to get around (at least) one of your bans during this time by registering an "alt" account.

Your total collection of bans also "clusters" around a small number of forums.

So...here's the problem I have...

While I can agree in principle that you were harshly treated by the Politics mods, I find it difficult to agree in practice.

The only reason that I can see for suggesting that the mods of Politics were wrong in "cutting corners" would be that there is some reason to believe that you would behave differently on Politics to how you are behaving on other forums....that you wouldn't be a repeat-offender causing a lot of work. That, however, would in turn suggest that you are deliberately being disruptive across those other forums...that you'd be capable of behaving yourself, but choose not to. In other words...letting you back in would be rewarding you for agreeing not to troll this one forum.

The other option that I see is that we accept that you are the way you are, and that this simply doesn't gel so well with the site, or at least certain forums therein. If thats the case, then its hard to see the flaw in the Politics mods reasoning.

Of course, I could be missing something...

So...

If you can convince me that you're worth another chance, I will - in turn - ask the Politics mods to do similarly...and give you one more chance....turn your permaban into "one step out of line and its a permaban".

Just so we're clear...I'm not interested in hearing some rules-lawyering about how they were wrong to do what they did. I'm interested in hearing what reasons there are to believe that you're worth a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi bonkey,

This DRP may need to be put on hold as I've sitebanned the OP for 2 weeks for a separate incident, see this thread for more info.

FYI I hadn't seen this DRP thread before issuing the temp siteban, but I'm letting it stand as this user seems exceptionally talented at wasting boards volunteers time. If you disagree with the siteban and would rather implement alternative justice, feel free to lift it.

Cheers,
    Al.

Advertisement