Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux DAW's

Options
  • 20-04-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys I'm new to linux and Boards aswell actually as it is :P , but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using Linux for electronic music production. I'm just starting out with the Linux Multimedia Studio ( Linux's answer to FL studio ) and It seems like a solid programme but so far all of the minute long attempts at electro end up sounding they're being played on a Gameboy Color :pac:
    So anybody that has any tips or opinions on Linux as an OS for music production or LMMS itself I'd be happy to hear them !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Ardour is another one, possibly the best for Linux. Not exactly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

none of them come close to the DAWs on OS X/win imo.

is there any reason you want to produce in linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caffman

Dl'd Ardour and it seems pretty powerful...if I knew what I was doing with it !

Yeah I was guessing that. Na there's no particular reason I want to produce in Linux other than converting my computer over :o I've used FL and Ableton in the past and found them great but I had to change my computers OS because it's getting old and slow on XP and Linux sped it up !
    starting to pick things up In LMMS in bits and pieces though but I'm sorta confused as to where to start off with the whole electro production thing when I'm stuck with Linux :p
    Appreciate the suggestions though, thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Pd, SuperCollider and CSound are all supported on Linux, they're all super-powerful, enough to do whatever you could ever want to, once you're willing to get really involved with it... Not really DAWs, I guess, but very very powerful and flexible audio programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caffman

Just reading up on the programs you mentioned they seem pretty code heavy but I'll try 'em out for a while and see how I get on !

• Advertisement

Caffman wrote: »
    Just reading up on the programs you mentioned they seem pretty code heavy but I'll try 'em out for a while and see how I get on !

SuperCollider and CSound definitely are, but Pd is pretty easy to pick up! I'd recomment starting there... I started learning it before I really understood how signals and control messages should flow within a synth or anything, so I found it pretty hard to pick up, but if you're into this stuff it should be fine! I've learned a lot more from working with Ableton Live and my guitar pedal boards, and I'm learning Pd much faster now.

I'd recommend reading a bit of this too;

http://www.pd-tutorial.com/english/index.html

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

if you dont like code, you wont like linux.
    it uses a command line to start up services.

Quiggers wrote: »
    if you dont like code, you wont like linux.
    it uses a command line to start up services.

Depends on the distribution doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Ubuntu these days is just like using Windows really.

But others yeah, you probably still need the terminal at least a little bit.

Anima wrote: »
    Ubuntu these days is just like using Windows really.

But others yeah, you probably still need the terminal at least a little bit.

I use Xfce a good bit and can get by without the command line, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

download the windows demo version of reaper and install it to a usb stick then drag the folder into your linux os and run it via wine. im currently using it on mint but was using it on ubuntu and it worked fine on both. was able to use midi keyboard and vsts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Heres another to throw into the pot...

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

Never used it TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

LMMS lets you mix up your soundfonts, and allows you to use VSTs.. But it can be cumbersome, particularly the fact that it doesnt inherently record audio.. (audio has to be recorded in Audacity)... Wont let you export to MIDI, or let you export the audio as MP3 (only WAV)

Rosegarden is completely basic the last I saw of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

energy xt seems to be recommended too but havent tried it myself

Advertisement