Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child missing Dublin Zoo

Options
  • 20-04-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Just back from a day in the Zoo with my wife and son, while we where there a boy went missing and was still not accounted for when we where leaving. The zoo staff where doing a full scale search and Gardai where there with helicopter overhead. Just wondering if anyone knows if the child was located ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chellemyra

The little boy was still missing when we left the zoo. We stayed in park until about 6.45 and he still was not found by then

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TangoVictor 31

Chellemyra wrote: »
    The little boy was still missing when we left the zoo. We stayed in park until about 6.45 and he still was not found by then

Oh thats terrible, parents must be frantic because i think he was missing about 2 hours when we left and that was at 5 ish. I thought the Zoo was very lax at the gate considering how long he was missing, i would have thought they would have been screening people coming and going. We left through the gate and there was no one around.

We had seen staff looking in compounds and bushes all around and we joked that maybe an animal had escaped but it wasn't until about an hour later staff started showing photos to everybody that we knew what was happening. Would have thought they would have had a tannoy system or something to address all public areas for situations like this and a strict procedure on the gate like a lockdown that would be used in the first few mins of child being reported missing. I know kids have a habit of wandering off but normally they are found mins later.

I hope as i write this he's back safe at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

every parent's worst nightmare, hope he is found safe and sound

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

The garda heli was flying over the clondalkin area at around 8 o'clock this evening - hope they werent still looking for the child!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 michelle79

Oh god I hope he was found. We were there too. He was missing about three hours when we heard. We were stopped and showed his photo 3 times before we got out. Seen a lot of squad cars, and the helicopter. Was there anything on the news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Nothing on TV3s late news so hopefully things worked out.....

Fingers crossed.....

He was found in Stephens green, he followed some other group there, they think he got on the 46 bus undetected!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In all fairness you cant expect the zoo to go in lock down mode for every child that goes missing on its parents, Zoo be locked down 24x7 then.

Kids regularly go missing in places like this and are usually found within 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

for a child to wander off like that ,

what on earth where the parents doing so they coudnt watch ther kid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

antocann wrote: »

Obviously you have no kids of you own and were (are?) a model child who never got separated from your parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Laney xox

antocann wrote: »

Hi, I was at the zoo yesterday with my extended family and my 2 daughters aged 4 and 5. I have a family membership and I have NEVER seen the zoo so busy. My nerves were gone trying to watch my daughters and my cousins young child, you would seriously need to have eyes in the back of your head watching them running around.
    When I saw the zoo keepers on alert and talking to each other on their walkie talkies it was simply terrifying. My hairs stood up everywhere, it must have been a terrifying experience for the family. Apparently the child had a fascination with water and the zoo keeers put a boat on the lake in an effort to search for him. I dont think the zoo were quick enough though in how they handled the search, at least 20 minutes had passed before the boat was put on the lake and in my opinion the entrances and exits to the zoo should have been put on a lock down and people leaving should have been stopped and questioned and every child identified in efforts to find him. Pain staking I know. Wen your child is lost many things must race through your head and at the front of your mind must obviously be the Madeline Mc Cann story. Apparently the boy had been found in St Stephens Green and I hope this is so, I spent my night worrying about him. The Zoo being so large should prepare for all eventualities. Maybe wrist bands given at the gates on the way in would be a good idea and an emergency plan put in place if this was to happen again. I do think parents should alwys be prepared for a lost child situation. When my 5 year old when on a school tour to the zoo lastyear, she wore her school tracksuit amd myself and a few other mothers put our names and phone numbers in the childrens pockets. I instructed my child not to panick and to look out for a zoo keeper, shop keeper or a mammy with a buggy and ask them to help her. I never thought to put my number in their pockets yesterday but after witnessing what i did I certainly wont forget again.

Putting numbers in pockets is a great idea! We have a name tag that hangs around the child's neck, got it in disneyworld. Never thought about bringing it. I certainly will in future! I hope the child was not too traumatised after his zoo incident :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey folks

We heard from Dublin Zoo this morning:
    Statement on behalf of Dublin Zoo
    Dublin Zoo is pleased to report that the child was found safe and unharmed. He had become separated from his two adult minders. Dublin Zoo immediately notified the Gardaí who successfully located the child later that afternoon in the city centre.

So all is well :)

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know alls well that ends well but how does a missing child actually get to leave the zoo in the first place... if I were that kids mother and father I'd be standing at any exit screening every child that left the place to make sure my kid didn't get out whether he escaped on his own or as part of a group... poor child and poor parents must have been terrified.

January wrote: »
    I know alls well that ends well but how does a missing child actually get to leave the zoo in the first place... if I were that kids mother and father I'd be standing at any exit screening every child that left the place to make sure my kid didn't get out whether he escaped on his own or as part of a group... poor child and poor parents must have been terrified.

Hi, that is my point exactly. You could see that Dublin zoo did everything that they could, every staff member was involved in the search, the gardai were there and photos were printed of the child, but in saying that you could tell there was most probably was,nt an action plan put in place in the event of a missing child going missing because in my opinion steps that were taken, which were done pretty quickly should have been done immediately. I think the laws in Ireland are pretty lax where missing children are concerned. A fire drill would be a legal requirement in public family places so I think a missing child protocol should be equally as important. In other countries The Amber Alert is in place.... It is no surprise that our little country is behind regarding situations like this. In saying all that I think the primary repsonsibilty lies with the parent or carer to make sure we do our upmost best to prevent such a thing happening to our own children before we even leave the house. Drill addresses and phone numbers into our kids, provide younnger children with phone numbers. Put ID wrist bands on where possible and teach them to approach someone they think they can trust if lost. Point out the type of people to appraoch as as soon as you have arrived to where you are going to whether it is to the zoo, cinema, adventure centre, swiiming pool etc.. I think something like a wristband would be very important especially if a child had a special need or a speech difficulty. Thankfully the child was found safe and well, and I learned a valuable lesson myself.

IT can happen that your child wanders off. We where talking to the Zoo keepers yesterday and they said that 60 children d from their parents and he got seperated from parents yesterday. The only way to make sure it doesnt happen is the child strapped to you at all time which lets face it is totally impractical. Even if you are the most careful parent in the world it can happen to you eps in zoo when kids get distracted by their favourite animal and dont realise that their parents have started moving on

Chellemyra wrote: »
    IT can happen that your child wanders off. We where talking to the Zoo keepers yesterday and they said that 60 children d from their parents and he got seperated from parents yesterday. The only way to make sure it doesnt happen is the child strapped to you at all time which lets face it is totally impractical. Even if you are the most careful parent in the world it can happen to you eps in zoo when kids get distracted by their favourite animal and dont realise that their parents have started moving on

Oh it's normal for a kid to get separated from their parents for a few minutes but how that child even got out of the zoo undetected and into the city centre is a mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The group of people the child left with have a few questions to answer too!

We where there yesterday and it was black even the exits we busy with one security gaurd on it. If he thought he was part of the group he followed it can be explained but to get on the bus i dont get.

We where three adults with five kids one aged 2 and it was so difficult making sure we had them all it was that busy. Constantly doing head counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Laney xox wrote: »
    Hi, that is my point exactly. You could see that Dublin zoo did everything that they could, every staff member was involved in the search, the gardai were there and photos were printed of the child, but in saying that you could tell there was most probably was,nt an action plan put in place in the event of a missing child going missing because in my opinion steps that were taken, which were done pretty quickly should have been done immediately. I think the laws in Ireland are pretty lax where missing children are concerned. A fire drill would be a legal requirement in public family places so I think a missing child protocol should be equally as important. In other countries The Amber Alert is in place.... It is no surprise that our little country is behind regarding situations like this. In saying all that I think the primary repsonsibilty lies with the parent or carer to make sure we do our upmost best to prevent such a thing happening to our own children before we even leave the house. Drill addresses and phone numbers into our kids, provide younnger children with phone numbers. Put ID wrist bands on where possible and teach them to approach someone they think they can trust if lost. Point out the type of people to appraoch as as soon as you have arrived to where you are going to whether it is to the zoo, cinema, adventure centre, swiiming pool etc.. I think something like a wristband would be very important especially if a child had a special need or a speech difficulty. Thankfully the child was found safe and well, and I learned a valuable lesson myself.

I think you are being unduly harsh on the zoo staff. You don't know how long it was until they were alerted. There is a protocol and system in place in the zoo. If a child is missing they should report to a member of staff or the 2 St. John Ambulance first posts so radio contact can be made. Parents are advised to make their kids aware of this. Both of those huts have "First aid and lost children" emblazoned across them.

I dont know the age of the child but the fact that they made a journey of about 2 miles into the city centre would indicate the child hadn't gone missing per se, they had done a runner. If there is loads of people around exits its easy enough for a child to blend into a group.

Its the responsibility of a parent to tell a kid what to do if they get lost. Most kids that are lost usually end up bawling crying so are easily spotted and are brought to the attention of staff by another parent or someone else in the zoo.

The idea of amber alerts and lockdowns is a bit excessive I think and is overly paranoid and suggest a sinister element to kids going missing which is very very rare.

I think you are being unduly harsh on the zoo staff. You don't know how long it was until they were alerted. There is a protocol and system in place in the zoo. If a child is missing they should report to a member of staff or the 2 St. John Ambulance first posts so radio contact can be made. Parents are advised to make their kids aware of this. Both of those huts have "First aid and lost children" emblazoned across them.

I dont know the age of the child but the fact that they made a journey of about 2 miles into the city centre would indicate the child hadn't gone missing per se, they had done a runner. If there is loads of people around exits its easy enough for a child to blend into a group.

Its the responsibility of a parent to tell a kid what to do if they get lost. Most kids that are lost usually end up bawling crying so are easily spotted and are brought to the attention of staff by another parent or someone else in the zoo.

The idea of amber alerts and lockdowns is a bit excessive I think and is overly paranoid and suggest a sinister element to kids going missing which is very very rare.

Not excessive at all as a mother of two I'd expect it if I were to be separated from either of my children. Yes, parents have to teach their kids responsibility but sometimes it happens and the child panics and forgets everything they were told.

the little boy is bout 8 or 9 with special needs so i wouldnt say that he did a runner. I think that the zoo staff where doing a great job in trying to find him yesterday. They all had his picture and where calling his name. The got on to the guards and rangers in the park to get them involved.

The little fellas mother must have been so so worried about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I just glanced at it but It said in the paper that the kid was under the care of the HSE :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I saw a junkie girl yesterday in Westmoreland St frantic that she had lost her kid. Fortunately a security guard from Carrolls saw the kid wandering into the shop and put 2+2 together. But my jaysus you wonder how some people are allowed have kids. She was pregnant with another too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

michelle79 wrote: »
    Putting numbers in pockets is a great idea! We have a name tag that hangs around the child's neck, got it in disneyworld. Never thought about bringing it. I certainly will in future! I hope the child was not too traumatised after his zoo incident :(

What does this look like ?

My daughter (5) knows my number off by heart & is under instructions what to do if she gets separated, but I also write the number on her arm (covered up) if we're going anywhere where there's loads of people.

Also, as a tip for anyone going on holiday, bring a recent photo of your child (one for each adult going) with you, that way if they get lost, you have it to hand immediately.

My little lad wouldnt stay in his buggy was so terrified i would lose him as he only two and small for his age
    :o

I dont think Im being harsh at all, they did well in an event that they obviously were not prepared for. The zoo staff are only human too and Im sure felt a sense of panic just like everyone else. The FACT is though that it was at least 10 minutes before they got into the water to search for the child after they were first originally taken from their duties. IT was heard through the walkie talkies that the child had an obsession with water. If a child gets into difficulty in water, the damage is done in a lot less than 10 minutes. So surely time is precious?
    Another unfortunate FACT is that family places like the zoo, entertainment parks etc ARE playgrounds for sexual predators. It is a very sad thing to say but as parents we can never be paranoid enough. We cant lock our children up and hide them away forever either, so I would prefer to be paranoid to be honest. How often would a situation like that happen anyway? Hopefully never, but if one child was to be saved would it not make it all worthwhile? When something happens a child, so many other lives are affected and affected for life. This particular child had special needs and most probably was,nt even aware of the upset that was caused. Surely, if there was a protocol in place this poor little man would,nt have made it past the gates?
    Im not blaming the zoo at all, if you read my previous comments you will notice I said that its the parents primary responsibilty to put a safety drill in place with their children if something like this should occur. I am not a perfect parent and I learn from my mistakes everyday....Yesterday I forgot to go through my safety code with my children, again another lesson learned. Im thankful it was,nt one of mine that got lost and I wont make the same mistake again.
    How often do homes, businesses or schools go on fire? Obviously a lot more than child abductions happen, but the reality is these places would not be allowed to open if precautions and rules were not put in place. I am sorry if I have offended anybody, but Im just simply expressing my opinion just like everyone else here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Oh thats terrible, parents must be frantic because i think he was missing about 2 hours when we left and that was at 5 ish. I thought the Zoo was very lax at the gate considering how long he was missing, i would have thought they would have been screening people coming and going. We left through the gate and there was no one around.

We had seen staff looking in compounds and bushes all around and we joked that maybe an animal had escaped but it wasn't until about an hour later staff started showing photos to everybody that we knew what was happening. Would have thought they would have had a tannoy system or something to address all public areas for situations like this and a strict procedure on the gate like a lockdown that would be used in the first few mins of child being reported missing. I know kids have a habit of wandering off but normally they are found mins later.

I hope as i write this he's back safe at home.

While I'm all for child safety, I'm not too sure what the legal situation is with imposing a "lock down", on any location. I'm fairly sure that this is really holding people against their will in a given place, if they object to not being allowed go about their own business while they are at liberty, notwitstanding the fact that this sounds like a good idea on the face of it when a child goes missing.

It's certainly not something I'd be inclined to tolerate if I found myself being confronted with it, whatever about on the instructions of a Garda who I am duty bound to obey when given a lawful instruction, but some gobsh*te security person running around with a walkie talkie, not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Roaster wrote: »
    But my jaysus you wonder how some people are allowed have kids.
    Abortion is illegal here.

Advertisement