Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child missing Dublin Zoo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

In all fairness you cant expect the zoo to go in lock down mode for every child that goes missing on its parents, Zoo be locked down 24x7 then.

Kids regularly go missing in places like this and are usually found within 30 mins.
    obviously they wait a bit longer than 30mins before it becomes a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Laney xox

obviously they wait a bit longer than 30mins before it becomes a big deal
    Seriously, if my child was missing for more than 5 minutes it would be a big deal! ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN! Even in those short few minutes....so, okay kids go missing regularly, but waiting 30 minutes before it is considered a big deal is ridiculous....I can see how locking up such a large place would prove very difficult but surely it would,nt be too much to contact the main gate as soon as a child is reported missing so as security could be immediately tightened and alerted. Patrons of the zoo or any other public place could be asked to exit through one gate only and be asked to remain patient while staff quickly rule out the child in question by comparing the description of the missing child with that of the children leaving. Im sure If children are usually located very quickly, then it would,nt be a for very long or cause a very big deal. It would also be very good practice in the event of anything serious ever happening. I would would consider the fact that a child with special needs went missing, left the zoo and got on a bus to be quite serious indeed. I certainly would not mind having to leave anywhere in an orderly fashion if I knew it was to secure the safety of a child. I would very much appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot, I know I would also be moritified that my child caused such a fuss, but it would be better to have them safe and sound in the long run. If a sytem like this was practiced then Im sure that boy would not have gotten ouside the perimeter of the zoo.The main aim of this thread was a person who took the time to post on here and enquire about the safety of the child. That was the reason I got on here also. To have been in the zoo yesterday, hear the conversations, see the gardai and see the sheer panic was enough to make your hairs stand on end. We are not here to criticise people but love and care for our children enough to understand the panic that would have being going through the little boys parents/ carers minds and feel some compassion for them. Surely after a scare like that, things have to change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So if I find a kid alone, I should route through their pockets or look for writing on their body? I'm sure that'll go down well...
    Also, putting the zoo on amber alert every time a kid gets separated? Like 60 Times yesterday?

SHould all parks and family places do this? Doesn't sound terribly practical but I guess we gotta think of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Laney xox wrote: »
    I am sorry if I have offended anybody, but Im just simply expressing my opinion just like everyone else here.

You seem confused about the meaning of the word FACT then.

Here's a fact. No public venue will lock down within 10 minutes of you reporting your child missing.

You claim it's a fact that the zoo had no plan for an occurance like this. It seems clear to me that they do. Your expectation of how fast this should happen is simply unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

WindSock wrote: »
    So if I find a kid alone, I should route through their pockets or look for writing on their body? I'm sure that'll go down well...
    Also, putting the zoo on amber alert every time a kid gets separated? Like 60 Times yesterday?

SHould all parks and family places do this? Doesn't sound terribly practical but I guess we gotta think of children.

Let's think of the practicalities here. Let's say on average each "missing" kid is gone 5-10 minutes considering the length was long enough that a employee had to be told. So if the Zoo was locked down on every occasion for 5-10 minutes for 60 kids, you're looking at the Zoo being locked down for 6-12 hours yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

1966 wrote: »
    Nothing on TV3s late news so hopefully things worked out.....

World War III could break out between TV3'a early and late news and they'd still stick with stories from their evening bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 briandublin21

I think everyone is being very unfair to the Zoo staff. They have a lot of other duties to take care of, especially when it is super busy with good weather and the schools being on holidays. It is quite apparent from people's other posts that management at the zoo diverted a lot of staff to assist in finding this missing boy, leaving lots of other essential tasks undone. All this talk of locking down the zoo is totally unpractical. Parents should really take responsibility for their children and not be putting the blame on an overworked zoo! Why don't we implant all our children and ourselves with micro chips? Scan everyone as they leave and only allow adults to leave with the children they arrived with?
    I think the suggestions of parents about writing numbers on kids arms or pieces of paper in their kids pockets are excellent, common sense ideas, when coupled with teaching your kids the type of people to approach. And as to the poster who said how dodgy it would look to go rooting through a kids pockets, obviously this would be done in a responsible manner, ensuring the child felt safe and there were other adults present also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nolanger wrote: »
    Abortion is illegal here.

Condoms, the pill, etc... aren't!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Condoms, the pill, etc... aren't!

Precautions like eat into thier drinking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Laney xox wrote: »
    Another unfortunate FACT is that family places like the zoo, entertainment parks etc ARE playgrounds for sexual predators. It is a very sad thing to say but as parents we can never be paranoid enough. We cant lock our children up and hide them away forever either, so I would prefer to be paranoid to be honest. How often would a situation like that happen anyway? Hopefully never, but if one child was to be saved would it not make it all worthwhile?

That's a "FACT" is it? People spout such rubbish, if you actually lived your life worrying about real facts or statistics instead of ones you've made up then presumably you wouldn't let your child near a school, church or their uncles house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement