Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with landlord, moving out now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldnt be running out by Monday if I were you tbh. I would stay put until the date you have given him, I doubt you can sort your things out in 2 days including sorting somewhere else to live, its a pretty ridiculous expectation of him. Him sue you? That would be fun.... You move out when you are ready, if he turns up at your door call the Gardai for harrassment and as mentioned call the Revenue asap if you have not already done so. Too many arse****s getting away with not paying their taxes and treating tenants like crap.

Correct. You can also take him to the small claims court if he refuses to reimburse you for damage to you're property. It only costs about 15 euro and all you have to do is call into an court-clerk's office to start proceedings. He won't like that. The Tax man will be interested in him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Agreed.

You think, with the whole "let's pull together" mood the country was in recently that LLs and people of their position would do their best to accomodate people but no. He's very much stuck in his ways so at the end of the day we're getting out with our health, our security deposit and nothing hanging over us so we'll move on whereas, he won't - ever.

I'll do my work in the meantime to make sure that MASSIVE landrover he's driving is...should I say...downgraded with the help of revenue ;)

I'll be doing my best to ensure he doesn't pull this with anyone else and as mentioned before, I'll keep an eye on this place and forward the would-be tennants a letter in a few months time basically explaining our position and what they *could* do if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Naming the landlord ain't allowed, but any chance of naming the estate, and/or if it was up the hill in Confey, or down the hill in the rest of Leixlip? Or just PM me -.-

Sending PM

the more people aware of this kinda' thing the better

Moving out today :D

'Suppose I might as well ask - has anyone any experience in letting Revenue know about LLs like mine?

How should I go about it? Formally? With letters? Or just simply a phonecall?

What's most effective?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    PRTB are notorious for not being up todate so you don't know he isn't registered.

Not just slow. A guy who I work with has a few apartments that he rents. We were messing one day and looked him up and didnt find him, so we ripped the p1ss out of him.
    He told us he is registered, but he threatened the PRTB with the data protection act and told them to remove his name from their public database.
    We still didnt believe him and he showed us the emails with the PRTB.

The PRTB wouldnt argue, because they didnt want others quoting the DPA, so they just removed him.

It does beg the question though, are many doing this. Does the DPA even apply to the PRTB.?

'Suppose I might as well ask - has anyone any experience in letting Revenue know about LLs like mine?

What's most effective?

Just ring them. They'll be only too happy to talk to you if he is not paying tax he is supposed to be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Agreed.

You think, with the whole "let's pull together" mood the country was in recently that LLs and people of their position would do their best to accomodate people but no. He's very much stuck in his ways so at the end of the day we're getting out with our health, our security deposit and nothing hanging over us so we'll move on whereas, he won't - ever.
    That is a seriously strange statement. Nobody owes you anything in this life so resenting people with more than you is your problem. In order to be a landlord most people took a loan out at personal risk to their own processions and then have to deal with people who often blame you for their own failings. A LL is in no "position" a small shop owner is in no position either but do you resent them making money?

I am still amazed how if I buy the same appliances for my own home how they only last about 2 years in a rented place yet I still have mine after 10 years no problem. Post a picture of this mold so we can see how bad it is.
    I'll do my work in the meantime to make sure that MASSIVE landrover he's driving is...should I say...downgraded with the help of revenue ;)

You still don't know whether he is paying taxes or not and again you just sound resentful and jealous.

Post a picture of this mold so we can see how bad it is.
    At a rough guess, the house is probably one of the oldest houses in Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That is a seriously strange statement. Nobody owes you anything in this life so resenting people with more than you is your problem. In order to be a landlord most people took a loan out at personal risk to their own processions and then have to deal with people who often blame you for their own failings. A LL is in no "position" a small shop owner is in no position either but do you resent them making money?

Ahh the poor landlords who are only trying to make a few quid.
    No I think OP is probably angry at the fact that he sees the person who takes his money, doesn't offer a proper agreed product in return and even worse treats him like sh** driving around in a flash car.

If you or any other landlord take out loans at personal risk to your own possesions then that is your own fault.
    Just because landlords got themselves into hock upto their eyeballs to become property millionaires is there own fault and no one elses.

Let me guess you would also like the taxpayers to help with landlords' investments by giving things like section23/50 grant aid. :rolleyes:
    I am still amazed how if I buy the same appliances for my own home how they only last about 2 years in a rented place yet I still have mine after 10 years no problem.

And I am still amazed how some people who are landlords think they can walk on people.
    Post a picture of this mold so we can see how bad it is.

Are you calling into question the honesty of the OP ?
    You still don't know whether he is paying taxes or not and again you just sound resentful and jealous.

Do you condone the way the landlord has dealt with this tenant ?
    Would you tell one of your tenants go **** themselves ?
    Would you then threaten them ?

Yes you can have cr** tenants, but dear God you can have some right dodgy landlords.
    What bugs the cr** out of me is that some landlords treat ordinary decent tenants, who by the sounds of it the OP is, like cr**.

I have had some good landlords, but I have had a couple of dodgy ones, including one who first tried to up rent, then tried to force us out with couple of weeks notice way before end of year's lease, even though we had always paid our rent on time and then resorted to threatening stalker phonecalls to female tenants.

But I guess that landlord was only trying to make a few quid and has his many properties part funded by his personal home. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

I am still amazed how if I buy the same appliances for my own home how they only last about 2 years in a rented place yet I still have mine after 10 years no problem. Post a picture of this mold so we can see how bad it is.

Hold on one second. You're right, nobody owes me anything but I'm not resentful - did you actually read anything from the thread?

What I meant was, you think that someone, in his position (dealing with people, issues with homes and more) would be more considerate. Like, where the hell are standards gone with some people? I really don't get it. And you'd think, with this country up the ****ter than HE as a person in a position of, say some power, would be slightly more considerate to the issues considering I was never rude and put up with his abuse over the phone so it wasn't justified.

I think you have a slightly warped opionion. It's never a bad thing to speak your mind but to rant on about "immportal appliances" and to call me out on the mould issue when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about tells me you have a very heavy chip on your shoulder.

Feel sorry for you man.

Anyways, i'm out now, keys are handed back and my hands are clean of the place. LL got back the place cleaned and in order.

jmayo wrote: »
    Ahh the poor landlords who are only trying to make a few quid.
    No I think OP is probably angry at the fact that he sees the person who takes his money, doesn't offer a proper agreed product in return and even worse treats him like sh** driving around in a flash car.
    But he is taring every landlord. I have had mold problems in property I own and what is shocking is that it isn't a problem for years then a new tenant moves in and it is. What is the cause? Personal habits.
    If you or any other landlord take out loans at personal risk to your own possesions then that is your own fault.
    Just because landlords got themselves into hock upto their eyeballs to become property millionaires is there own fault and no one elses.
    I was just pointing out it is no "position" personal finances are up to the individual tenant or landlord. I am doing quite well thank you:P Why a LL should take care of somebody else s financial situation was suggested by what was said. I don't see why they should any more than the tenant should take care of the LL.
    Let me guess you would also like the taxpayers to help with landlords' investments by giving things like section23/50 grant aid. :rolleyes:
    Don't really care those aids were for a reason for set areas. I don't think any extra tax should be added to an income that is the result of the income I already paid tax on.
    Are you calling into question the honesty of the OP ?
    No and maybe you should think about why that is what you assumed about me. I just want to see what the mold is like and where it appears.

AS for the rest of your rant. I don't think the LL appears to have acted correctly. I would also think that the tenant may not have been polite about it either. All things being normal nobody would stay calm if they assume the worst.

So to recap my view is the tenant was likely not very polite and the LL reacted badly. The LL may not have responded quickly the first time. Mold issue probably overblown. LL should have fixed the minor issues within 2 weeks any thing like non functioning essential shower, cooker, washing machine etc.. done within a week vitals such as water, toilet, etc.. aim for a day. Mold is 9 times out of ten due to ventilation easy fix is to clean the area with mild bleach before tracing cause.

Following human nature I doubt either reacted calmly and was most of the problem leading it to here.

So to recap my view is the tenant was likely not very polite and the LL reacted badly. The LL may not have responded quickly the first time. Mold issue probably overblown. LL should have fixed the minor issues within 2 weeks any thing like non functioning essential shower, cooker, washing machine etc.. done within a week vitals such as water, toilet, etc.. aim for a day. Mold is 9 times out of ten due to ventilation easy fix is to clean the area with mild bleach before tracing cause.

Following human nature I doubt either reacted calmly and was most of the problem leading it to here.

Classic, you defend yourself by claiming "maybe you should think about why that is what you assumed about me" yet you have decided, in your mind, that I reacted badly.

If you actually read the thread you'll read that I spend money to buy agents that would help me remove the mould. I scrubbed the place top to bottom yet the smell of damp and the mould came back - I think it's a much deeper issue (in the walls/foundation).

I contacted him about it and he lost it. I didn't.

Classic, you defend yourself by claiming "maybe you should think about why that is what you assumed about me" yet you have decided, in your mind, that I reacted badly.

If you actually read the thread you'll read that I spend money to buy agents that would help me remove the mould. I scrubbed the place top to bottom yet the smell of damp and the mould came back - I think it's a much deeper issue (in the walls/foundation).

I contacted him about it and he lost it. I didn't.
    What I know is how you have reacted here and that it is your side of the story you are stating. If the problem is as bad as you say now it would be next to impossible to hide and would have cause very noticeable damage.

All things being equal the most logical thing is after your repeated phone calls when you finally got through to him you were not polite. He should not have ignored you but judging on how you spoke of what I said you don't come across as patient calm person. Yes I do know more about mold than you and more about letting property and don't have a chip on my shoulder about it.
    You certainly come off as resentful about what you expect of people and what they have. You wish ill will on him as a result of your actions. Look up the word and you see what you said matches.

Mold is 9 times out of ten due to ventilation easy fix is to clean the area with mild bleach before tracing cause.
    So you missed the part where the OP wrote:
    I purchsed a dehumidifier and mould removing agents to try slow the process down
    Sending PM
    LoL. Just checked OSI.ie - that house is ooold! It comes up on the 25" view...

What I know is how you have reacted here and that it is your side of the story you are stating. If the problem is as bad as you say now it would be next to impossible to hide and would have cause very noticeable damage.

All things being equal the most logical thing is after your repeated phone calls when you finally got through to him you were not polite. He should not have ignored you but judging on how you spoke of what I said you don't come across as patient calm person. Yes I do know more about mold than you and more about letting property and don't have a chip on my shoulder about it.
    You certainly come off as resentful about what you expect of people and what they have. You wish ill will on him as a result of your actions. Look up the word and you see what you said matches.

You see I rang him several times and after his digusting manner, he told me to use the contact in Remax as the port of call so I did.

I am actually quite patient, in fact, I sent one letter to him asking him to work with me in resolving the issue and waited a whole month (during which I had kidney surgery) before delaing with him again - I was patient.

I think you've a major chip buddy and in fact, it's you that is coming in a weird way.

I actually wish ill on him due to the manner in which he spoke to me, the threatening language he used and how he made my other half feel.

Like I said, at the end of the day he won't change, so i'll just have to try my best to make sure the next tennants going in don't have to deal with a LL like him, a bully.

Yeah man it's an old house, I remember the old woman/family that used to be standing in the dorrway chatting to people.

And like I said before, I spent nearly 50 on a dehumidifier, bleach and a mould remover agent. At least I still have them If I come across it again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Tbh Op I wouldn't take any notice of Ray's posts - he's clearly out to defend all landlords being one himself and is just interested in making tenants out to be minor irritants in the way of his climb up the property ladder. :rolleyes:

Kimia wrote: »
    Tbh Op I wouldn't take any notice of Ray's posts - he's clearly out to defend all landlords being one himself and is just interested in making tenants out to be minor irritants in the way of his climb up the property ladder. :rolleyes:

Well if anything, this post might help someone that was/is bullied by LLs who think they are above the law JUST because they rent out places.

As mentioned before, they should be sitting exams on customer service tbh! Honestly, although not practical, they should face inspections and something like what happens in retail with mystery shoppers.

If their standards drop and complaints rise they should be written off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Well if anything, this post might help someone that was/is bullied by LLs who think they are above the law JUST because they rent out places.

As mentioned before, they should be sitting exams on customer service tbh! Honestly, although not practical, they should face inspections and something like what happens in retail with mystery shoppers.

If their standards drop and complaints rise they should be written off

Great idea, pity half of them aren't declaring that they are renting. Its a small minority who are a disgrace in fairness. You seem to have got a real bozo.

Good luck in the future.

• Advertisement

Great idea, pity half of them aren't declaring that they are renting. Its a small minority who are a disgrace in fairness. You seem to have got a real bozo.

Good luck in the future.

Funny this is I was looking at a place the other day, and although a little small, the LL was amazing. Very polite and all. Shame it didn't suit us.

Kimia wrote: »
    LOL
    Couldn't careless about buying more property.

Missing a major point here. I am not defending the LL I just doubt it is a clear cut as being stated. A dehumidifier and cleaning agents are no use if you don't use them properly and stop the source of moisture.
    You would really need to be blind and unable to smell, to not notice the type of damp he is suggested was there by the time he left. Possible no damp proof course if the house is very old but you would notice this as an issue on first viewing. Hindsight is one thing but being oblivious is another thing. There are some terrible hell holes rented out and I wouldn't do it myself.

How much water was the dehumidifier collecting?

If this LL is as bad as you say I am sure somebody reported him to the taxman more than once. Very doubtful he has acted so badly and not had a "clever" tenant report him. It is the standard threat and most people assume the LL avoid tax if they don't do something how they believe it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

What's most effective?

A lot of people here are saying ring Revenue without giving much thought to it.

For Revenue to act you will need to provide the Landlords name, date of birth and address or his PPS number. Do you have any of these?

Revenue cannot look at the owner of the house as through data protection laws the PRA cannot release that information.

Im sure as your were paying cash in hand there is noway you have all his details so Revenue will not do a thing as they will not be able to find him on their system :(

For Revenue to act you will need to provide the Landlords name, date of birth and address or his PPS number. Do you have any of these?

Revenue cannot look at the owner of the house as through data protection laws the PRA cannot release that information.

Im sure as your were paying cash in hand there is noway you have all his details so Revenue will not do a thing as they will not be able to find him on their system :(

Hmmm that's a very good point. I have some of them but not them all. I think it'll be something I'll have to look into really as, what I'm missing, current tennants (who I know), might have

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Hmmm that's a very good point. I have some of them but not them all. I think it'll be something I'll have to look into really as, what I'm missing, current tennants (who I know), might have

Thanks for the input

Definitely contact them with the LL's name though as you never know.

Definitely contact them with the LL's name though as you never know.

Well i'll be in touch with them with his name, the residents, the numbers of tennants in the building and crucially how much each brings in each month

He will have paid stamp duty to revenue. Also he will be listed in Thomms directory. They will easily track him down.
    If in doubt, pick up the phone, ring them, and ask them if you should ring them. :D

Bens wrote: »
    He will have paid stamp duty to revenue. Also he will be listed in Thomms directory. They will easily track him down.
    If in doubt, pick up the phone, ring them, and ask them if you should ring them. :D

Will do ;) Might as well try anyways, could save someone a real headache

Another small update:

I am moved out now but noticed the apt. went back up on daft.ie within a few hours.

It now reads the following (which is a lie):
    1. LUXURIOUS 1 BED APARTMENT ON LEIXLIP MAIN STREET !!!
    2. *Recently redecorated to a very high standard

AND the rent is gone up 50 euro....classy eh? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Found it, looks actually very nice doesnt it! It is listed twice, once as 600 and once as 650, I dont understant why people do that tbh.

Advertisement