Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

robbery in briar hill

• 20-04-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

anyone hear anything about an armed robbery in the bookies in briar hill today? went to dunnes after work and the place was swarming with cops.

Some were inside the bookies and others around the back taking photos. Overheard someone in dunnes saying something about an armed robbery.

Anyone else see the commotion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Yeah heard they robbed bar one. Had guns, no other info. Was around half four or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

was in there at 3.30. :eek:
    hope no one was hurt

Rob bookies> Head for the motorway just beside it> Laugh as the cops have to come from different directions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

Rob bookies> Head for the motorway just beside it> Laugh as the cops have to come from different directions
    how come you know so much about how to rob this bookies? very fishy!!!
    hope you got away safely!!!:D

samdeman wrote: »
    how come you know so much about how to rob this bookies? very fishy!!!
    hope you got away safely!!!:D

It just seems like that's why that particular place was chosen, you're so close to it.

In theory once you head off the roundabout you could go 100mph+ and no-one would take any notice.

Considering the car probably wasn't spotted they could have took the motorway the whole way back or else jumped off at any of the various sideroads off it before the first toll(if they were wary of being spotted)

You'd have to imagine they were Dubs though if they had guns so heading back in that direction seems the most logical option.

You'd think with technology these days that getting away with something like that would be nigh on impossible.

Hope they catch them... Dublin gangsters trying to take money out of the local economy :mad:

• Advertisement

You'd have to imagine they were Dubs though if they had guns

LOL!!!! thats the best thing i have ever seen written on this site! priceless!!!! :D:D:D

You'd have to imagine they were Dubs though if they had guns

LOL!!!! thats the best thing i have ever seen written on this site! priceless!!!! :D:D:D

Meaning there isn't much gun crime in Galway within the criminal world.

Considering they had a gun, there's not much chance they were a small timer chancing their arm.

And it's the closest place to the Motorway back.

And lastly because most times a bookies have been robbed in Galway, they have been down from Dublin.

So I don't get what's so funny about the comment.... it's more then likely true, so what makes it funny :confused:

EDIT: Last fella caught http://www.galwaynews.ie/17847-man-jailed-robbing-city-bookmaker
    A Dublin man has been jailed for three years for a robbery at a city bookmaker.

41-year-old Kenneth Mooney of 22 Plunkett Drive, Finglas pleaded guilty to the robbery at Ladbrokes, High Street on June 22nd 2009.

The court heard that Kenneth Mooney was the only customer in Ladbrokes at around 2pm on the day of the robbery.

So ease off the patronising laughing, maybe I'm wrong but to say it's the funniest thing you read on here, makes it sound like you're saying I'm talking through my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Place I worked in Briarhill Business Park had something stolen last year, in broad daylight, while I was alone in the shop. They people who did it were walking, not even bloody driving, and by the time they reached the entrance of Briarhill Business Park the cctv had lost them, good one lads. Never caught them even though they even came back into the shop a few weeks later, so if they catch guys who were in a car and right beside the motorway I'll be amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Meaning there isn't much gun crime in Galway within the criminal world.

Considering they had a gun, there's not much chance they were a small timer chancing their arm.

And it's the closest place to the Motorway back.

And lastly because most times a bookies have been robbed in Galway, they have been down from Dublin.

So I don't get what's so funny about the comment.... it's more then likely true, so what makes it funny :confused:

EDIT: Last fella caught http://www.galwaynews.ie/17847-man-jailed-robbing-city-bookmaker

So ease off the patronising laughing, maybe I'm wrong but to say it's the funniest thing you read on here, makes it sound like you're saying I'm talking through my hat.

Ah come on, the way you wrote it made it sound like Dublin criminals are the only ones in the country with guns.

It certainly was funny.

Have you heard of Limerick, you know, that city just an hour south of us where loads of people have been, eh, shot?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Please let him be from Dublin...PLEASE!! ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah come on, the way you wrote it made it sound like Dublin criminals are the only ones in the country with guns. It certainly was funny. Have you heard of Limerick, you know, that city just an hour south of us where loads of people have been, eh, shot?

Yes I have heard from Limerick but historically Dublin criminals have targeted the city.

The possession of a gun and close proximity to the motor way gave the impression they were Dubs.

Have you ever heard of, ehhh, a paragraph?... I think that's funny too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes I have heard from Limerick but historically Dublin criminals have targeted the city.

The possession of a gun and close proximity to the motor way gave the impression they were Dubs.

Have you ever heard of, ehhh, a paragraph?... I think that's funny too. :rolleyes:

Touche. Well played Sir! At least I can see the funny side... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Please let him be from Dublin...PLEASE!! ;)
    The man being questioned IS NOT from Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Tedole wrote: »
    The man being questioned IS NOT from Dublin

I am sure if we went through his family tree we will find some Dublin connection... In future all Gardai west of the shannon should have to conduct interviews with suspects in a "Who do you think you are" type format :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Mike... wrote: »
    I am sure if we went through his family tree we will find some Dublin connection... In future all Gardai west of the shannon should have to conduct interviews with suspects in a "Who do you think you are" type format :rolleyes:

Ireland's a small place. If they did that, the garda and robber would just discover they're 3rd cousins and he'd let him off with a warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

My mate was in the bar one bookies when it got robbed.
    He said your man was not a dub and was off his head on something.He dropped half the cash outside the shop and didn't seem to know what he was at more a spur of the moment thing.
    Cops took 30 mins to come to bookies but they caught him v fast infairness.

beagle001 wrote: »
    My mate was in the bar one bookies when it got robbed.
    He said your man was not a dub and was off his head on something.He dropped half the cash outside the shop and didn't seem to know what he was at more a spur of the moment thing.
    Cops took 30 mins to come to bookies but they caught him v fast infairness.
    spur of the moment? i hope not. i doubt he goes about his daily business with a sawn off shotgun down his trousers!! and if he does, and goes around off his head i hope they print his picture in the papers cos i dont want to accidently bump into him in the street, and he is having an bad day!:eek:

Mike... wrote: »
    i hope the government take this seriously. its about time they introduced border patrols around dublin like they have in the usa around the mexican border. im sick and tired of these gun totting dubs being allowed to travel outside the capital without having to go through security checks. its like juarez, mexico up there. everyone walking around with a gun like us galwegians walk around with mobile phones. imagine this weekend is a bank holiday. that means hundreds of dubs in the county. thats means hundreds of guns are in the county this weekend. feck it, im going to the bronx for the weekend, not safe around here.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

i hope the government take this seriously. its about time they introduced border patrols around dublin like they have in the usa around the mexican border. im sick and tired of these gun totting dubs being allowed to travel outside the capital without having to go through security checks. its like juarez, mexico up there. everyone walking around with a gun like us galwegians walk around with mobile phones. imagine this weekend is a bank holiday. that means hundreds of dubs in the county. thats means hundreds of guns are in the county this weekend. feck it, im going to the bronx for the weekend, not safe around here.:)

what an idiotic statement

• Advertisement

Some people on here are all smart hiding behind a username and keyboard.

Someone posted the story, it's a discussion board, if we wait for the actual details to filter through then there's no point of posting it(RTE and papers will report).

I posted my take on it, as over the years Dublin gangs have targeted the city in this way before.

Couple that with the location to the motorway and the use of a firearm which is rare in Galway.

Certain keyboard jockeys though, with next to no obvious social skills think it hilarious

Some people on here are all smart hiding behind a username and keyboard.

Someone posted the story, it's a discussion board, if we wait for the actual details to filter through then there's no point of posting it(RTE and papers will report).

I posted my take on it, as over the years Dublin gangs have targeted the city in this way before.

Couple that with the location to the motorway and the use of a firearm which is rare in Galway.

Certain keyboard jockeys though, with next to no obvious social skills think it hilarious
    i find how wound up you are getting to be hilarious!

yours sincerely
    sam walsh
    keyboard jockey (apprentice)

i find how wound up you are getting to be hilarious!

yours sincerely
    sam walsh
    keyboard jockey (apprentice)

You think an immature user with bad jokes wind's me up?

I don't care for the opinion of someone like you, you've shown your lack of intellect already in this thread.

''OMG LOL'S... THIS IS LIKE SO FUNNIES''

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Re:^^^

sar·casm
    (särprime.gifkabreve.gifzlprime.gifschwa.gifm)n.1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
    3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

[Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Anyway..........Well done to An Garda Siochana.

Damie wrote: »
    Re:^^^

sar·casm
    (särprime.gifkabreve.gifzlprime.gifschwa.gifm)n.1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
    3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

[Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.]

Fair play to ya... I see you can reference a dictionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

What an idiotic reaction to obvious sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is it just me or are most threads in the Galway Forum ending up like this?

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I'm sorry for my responses but I engaged in this topic with all seriousness(to begin with).

To have some dweebs patronizing my posts just pissed me off tbh.

I've never engaged in a thread to poke fun by twisting the words of a poster.

I don't see why posters can enter threads as such and get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

ronnie3585 wrote: »

What? discussing whether Dubs or Limerick people rob us more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement