Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's the job situation for students?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm considering going to UL next year but aside from grants I'll be supporting myself- books, accommodation, food, etc. So getting a job will be pretty important. I'll be studying Law which apparently isn't a crazy amount of hours per week so I'd have plenty of time to work, And I've got plenty of experience with the kind of menial jobs students get.

Unfortunately I've heard some bad stories about students in UL who found it impossible to find any part time work in Limerick so travel to Cork every weekend and holiday to work in supermarkets etc. So can anyone here confirm or deny that? Obviously jobs are relatively scarce everywhere nowadays but is Limerick in particularly bad shape compared to Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

njd2010 wrote: »
    I'm considering going to UL next year but aside from grants I'll be supporting myself- books, accommodation, food, etc. So getting a job will be pretty important. I'll be studying Law which apparently isn't a crazy amount of hours per week so I'd have plenty of time to work, And I've got plenty of experience with the kind of menial jobs students get.

Unfortunately I've heard some bad stories about students in UL who found it impossible to find any part time work in Limerick so travel to Cork every weekend and holiday to work in supermarkets etc. So can anyone here confirm or deny that? Obviously jobs are relatively scarce everywhere nowadays but is Limerick in particularly bad shape compared to Cork?

i find it hard to believe that a job in cork would be worth it. that means getting two apartments?
    i kept saying to myself that i was going to get a job but never did in the end.
    you could try the stables bar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

garv123 wrote: »
    you could try the stables bar

Stables probably already have people for next year. People ask months in advance. Try somewhere in town like Molly's and Icon. You might wanna start looking in August before/during freshers week before like minded people snap up all the jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

garv123 wrote: »
    i find it hard to believe that a job in cork would be worth it. that means getting two apartments?

Their parents lived in cork so they stayed with them on weekends.

I asked this same question in the UCC forum and the advice seems to be to try and find work in a bar, I would have thought a supermarket or shop would be easier to get work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Where are you from yourself, OP?

Keep on eye on the Limerick City Forum, there's a jobs thread that's updated any time people see jobs going. Keep an eye on the Limerick Post too, they publish their paper online digitally.

I have a job in the city myself atm, but unfortunately, jobs are very scarce here. Limerick the city is very economically depressed at the minute.

Good places to try would be out closer to UL given the high turnover of student staff. Go into the ULSU and drop in a CV for next year, likewise the shops on campus, and in the area.

Best of luck!

I'm living in Cork at the moment. I want to study Law in either Cork or Limerick. Even if I stay in Cork I'm moving out (no choice in the matter anyway), so there's pros and cons for both colleges- UL has much cheaper accomodation, lower points requirement, and I'd get a much higher grant. Cork has (from what I've heard) a better law course, and I think it'd be easier to get a job here especially since I have the whole summer to look around.

Anyway thanks for the info, didn't realise there was a Limerick City forum. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Their parents lived in cork so they stayed with them on weekends.

I asked this same question in the UCC forum and the advice seems to be to try and find work in a bar, I would have thought a supermarket or shop would be easier to get work in.

ah wel that makes alot more sense since the majority of students go home every weekend unless their in 3rd or 4th year maybe where they're studying alot.
    the way i read it was in you were saying you were living somewhere else ans on about travelling to cork for a job and then limerick to college. ive a job the weekends here but id stil like one up in limerick during the week.
    all near enough to the college theres a dunnes, lidl, aldi and supequin and 3 spars so might as wel chance them with cv's if your looking for a job like that

I'm living in Cork at the moment. I want to study Law in either Cork or Limerick. Even if I stay in Cork I'm moving out (no choice in the matter anyway), so there's pros and cons for both colleges- UL has much cheaper accomodation, lower points requirement, and I'd get a much higher grant. Cork has (from what I've heard) a better law course, and I think it'd be easier to get a job here especially since I have the whole summer to look around.

Anyway thanks for the info, didn't realise there was a Limerick City forum. I'll keep an eye on it.

There's a forum for every city and county around!

CiaranMT wrote: »
    There's a forum for every city and county around!

This place has a forum for everything. It's amazing.... Should have joined years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I put CV's in nearly everywhere around college, parkway etc aswell, and never even got a call. Same story with good few friends. Very difficult to get a job around.

This place has a forum for everything. It's amazing.... Should have joined years ago.

There's one for Mustard. Seriously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement