Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

silverfast vs. vuescan

• 20-04-2011 9:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭

anyone any opinions?

i'm very much in two minds about upgrading my scanner (currently have a canoscan 9900f) to an epson perfection V500 or V700. i have to replace my computer, but a car, etc. etc., and these things have an annoying habit of eating into my shekels.
    however, very much the weak link on the canon is the bundled software. it's so bad it's actually surprising, for a company so embedded in the digital imaging market. sample scans below.
    does vuescan offer the same benefits as silverfast? is silverfast AI worth the extra money? and if i do change scanners, how easily can i switch the silverfast software to a new scanner?

also, one thing which is worth considering is that silverfast does not appear to be win7 compatible for the 9900f, and i've to buy a new computer soon.

canon:

canon1.jpg

silverfast:

sf1.jpg

and a 100% crop (scanned at 1600dpi)
    canon:
    http://stroma.org/kevin/links/canon2.jpg
    silverfast:
    http://stroma.org/kevin/links/sf2.jpg

oddly, the silverfast scan is of noticeably higher quality, despite being *much* quicker to execute.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I use vuescan exclusively nowadays, tried silverfast and wasn't really a fan. From other peoples experiences though I reckon you can do pretty much the same stuff with either of them, so pick either of the rather esoteric interfaces that you hate the least and just get used to it :-)

Vuescan has a couple of advantages though. I use mine for my canonscan and for my nikon. AFAIK you have to buy a new license for SF for each scanner you want to use with it. VS is also cheaper for the equivalent functionality, and if you get the pro license you can just keep on upgrading for ever. Plus Ed Hamrick i pretty snappy generally with replies to support requests or issues you discover with the software. There's a new version seemingly every month or so.

Vuescans big weakness that other people have complained about is its lack of up to date film profiles, SF has them I think I remember reading. That makes colour balancing negatives occasionally tricky. I never use the profiles anyway, I scan to raw 64bit RGBI negative, then process to a 48bit RGB un-colour-corrected positive in VS, then do the rest of the colour adjustment elsewhere.

And yeah, no hardware manufacturer should be allowed write the software that comes with their gear. Shockingly bad for the most part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the issue with the OS compatibility is the scanner driver rather than the scanning software.

must get a demo vuescan install. i have the silverfast AI demo, which in some ways is unnecessarily complicated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i'll wait till a night when i'm not trying out a new whiskey, my senses are slightly impaired.

Advertisement