Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA shooting ranges with blanks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Without speaking for the other States, here in CA no license of any sort is requied to own a rifle. (Though I will use my driver's license for the proof of residency requirement, other forms of proof like utility bills are acceptable).

NTM

But forget owning remotly anything evilll black gun looking out in the Left Coast.That is anything with a muzzle break/flash hider,pistol grip or detachable magazine,which cant hold more than 10 rounds, or can mount a bayonet:eek:.
    Wait 14 days for your rifle/shotgun and 21 days for a handgun.Despite the Brady instant check system. Forget 50 cals,banned by Gov Schwazenegger:rolleyes::mad:.[People mite get terminated!!]

Of course,if you are a young gentleman of African American or Hispanic extraction,belonging to certain areas of Los Angeles and Mexico.. Please feel free to ignore all of the above. Please feel free to export them to your colleuges in Mexico who will gladly use them to dispose of any competition on either side of the law.You will be willingly be assisted by the US BATFE in this matter,thru sheer incompetance and stupidity![ATF's latest FCUK up... Operation Fast&Furious..One US border patrol agent killed because of it..sofar!]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wait 14 days for your rifle/shotgun and 21 days for a handgun.
    Only 14 days for a rifle and only 21 for a handgun? From decision to purchase to first shot? Compared to here... you could almost call that 'instant'!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

But forget owning remotly anything evilll black gun looking out in the Left Coast.

You have seen some of my rifles, right?

sig556a.jpg

grnaxr2.jpg

I've an FAL (Well, South African Army R1 rebuilt onto a DS arms receiver) as well

We have some bloody quirky and annoying laws, but once you learn how to work within them...
    Wait 14 days for your rifle/shotgun and 21 days for a handgun

Ten for both, here.
    Forget 50 cals,banned by Gov Schwazenegger:rolleyes::mad:.[People mite get terminated!!]

True, that one was irritating. That said, only .50BMG is banned. Other .50 calibres or equivalents like the .510 are OK.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Is that a sig? Very nice. Like an hk556?

If you buy a CA "pre-ban" weapon does that mean you can still have a detachable magazine?

I've never bought in the US but the little woman has been getting paranoid after the japan quake and the whole "ring of fire" thing and we're considering a mossberg (very basic) in the emergency supplies. (we're in a quake zone so everyones encouraged to have 72hrs of supplies stashed away).

FISMA wrote: »
    InTheTrees,
    Are you referring to a specific state? This comment is not true in general across the states.

I knew NY city was very restricted, and CA has some technical regulations but no, I didnt know about those eastern states.

Out west CA is the exception isnt it? In Arizona you can do an 8 hour course and openly carry your handgun. Texas is pretty liberal as well. Utah just adopted the browning as the state gun. Nevada they're allowing tourists to shoot machine guns. Most of the western states give out "concealed carry permits" for handguns pretty easily.

• Advertisement

@Manic,
    Im glad to see you got those...:D:D
    BUT HTF???Especially the AUG considering that it was one of the specifically listed as well as any derivatives of it in the CA AWB from 1989? or thereabouts when I was living out there :eek::eek:[92 to 94?].Unless it is a straight pull?
    The SIG proably as it is a US derivative??
    Glad to see they changed the waiting period down,finally to both types for ten days.Was kicking my heels for three weeks for the glock when I bought it first.:(

@Sparks
    Was from money on the counter and paperwork filling to first shot.Faster than the speed of light compared to here.Snail pace in the USA!! Glad to see they
    "speeded it up":rolleyes: in CA abit to ten days even with the Brady instant check.
    In AZ[State next door] it was put the money down and walk out the door with ID shown and instant check there and then.

Only lot who are any slower ,[like continental plate drift speed for the US] are the Feds when it comes to your Class three application[EG machine guns,silencers ,sawn off shotguns,40mm bofors,miniguns etc.:D] They can take up to three months!!:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They can take up to three months!!:eek:

Jaysus, that sounds awful familiar. :p

BUT HTF???Especially the AUG considering that it was one of the specifically listed as well as any derivatives of it in the CA AWB from 1989? or thereabouts when I was living out there :eek::eek:[92 to 94?].

Remember, the people who think guns are evil and set about making laws banning them have absolutely no idea about guns whatsoever. So the laws are, for their purposes, absolutely terrible.

It is true that the AUG is banned by name in California. My rifle is an AXR, made in Washington, and it's 100% compatible with AUG parts (Though most of the parts actually are AUG parts made by Steyr). However, because the engraving says "AXR" and not "AUG" it's legal. Same with the FAL. It's banned by name. The DS Arms rifle, which is 100% identical except for the name, is legal. And so on for every rifle on that list. Want an AR15? Buy a Stag Arms (or whatever) receiver, and build it up with Bushmaster everything else.
    Unless it is a straight pull?

Nope, semi auto. Another interesting little glitch in the law as intended is that the law prohibits 'evil features' in company with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine. You want a detachable magazine, you can't have a pistol grip, flash hider, whatever. (These are known in CA as 'Featureless' rifles, and are usually quite ugly). The law is silent, however, on the capacity to accept an attachable magazine. Some clever engineering later, and hey presto. (And usually the change is simple enough that it's a five minute fix when you go over the State line). The only catch is that you're restricted to 10-round magazines. For aesthetics, quick magazine changes, and people who like to monopod, there are 10/30 magazines. Basically 30-round bodies but with a stopper to only accept 10 rounds.
    The SIG proably as it is a US derivative??

It is made in the US, courtesy of the federal 1986 law. But otherwise, it doesn't trigger any of the prohibitions in California law and is good to go. Only catch is that you can't use the side-folder stock as it becomes too short.
    In AZ[State next door] it was put the money down and walk out the door with ID shown and instant check there and then.

True. Same as when I was in Kentucky.
    Is that a sig? Very nice. Like an hk556?

I have not actually played with a HK556. The SIG is basically a precision-made AK-47 in 5.56mm. And has a wonderful trigger. A tad front-heavy though.
    If you buy a CA "pre-ban" weapon does that mean you can still have a detachable magazine?

You cannot buy a pre-ban in CA at this time. If you had one before the ban and registered it, you're good to go. Otherwise, you need to go 'featureless'.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Geez Grizzly, what the heck is the rush if ten days isn't fast enough for you?

Sparks wrote: »

It's an American thing Sparks...You wouldnt understand!:D:D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

More a matter of the stupidity of the delay. The background check can be done on the ' phone. What is the purpose of me, already owning a half dozen firearms, being forced to wait ten days for # 7?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'd say a full 60% of the people standing in line at the las vegas place when I was there were brits. And there were other europeans too.

I cant imagine why the nevada atf would decide to close or curtail that business.

They won't because that place is licensed to operate with Class III weapons.

Heck this was me overseas in the USA with a battle rifle when I was working there:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Right...I got a reply. And, typically, it's as clear as mud.

Once again, here is my email to the ATF:
    Could you clarify this point for me please: I sometimes travel to the US from Ireland on the Visa Waiver Program. When I do that, I am not admitted into the country on a non immigrant visa, - there is no visa at all required. Does this mean that I am not prohibited from possession of firearms and ammunition under 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(b) - since that specifically refers to people "admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa". I would in fact be a legal nonimmigrant, but would not have been admitted under any type of visa.

My understanding of this is that I would therefore be able to visit a shooting range, as a tourist, and rent firearms for use at that range without having to meet any of the exemptions listed in your FAQ http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/noni...ant-possession

I'd appreciate it if you could confirm this.

I'm at a loss to figure out how I could have made my question clearer - nevertheless, this is all I got from them: a copy & paste job from the link which I sent them in my email...:mad:
    Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). This is in response to your email dated April 22, 2011, in which you inquired about a nonimmigrant alien purchasing or possessing firearms while in the United States.

Q: May nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?

Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

1. nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;

2. nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;

3. certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;

4. officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;

5. foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and

6. persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.

Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien cannot purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Department of Homeland Security (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) and (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 consecutive days immediately prior to the firearms transaction.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(b) and 922(y), 27 CFR 478.124, ATF Rul. 2004-1]

Examples of appropriate documents to establish State residency are utility bills from each of the last 3 months immediately prior to the sale or a lease agreement that demonstrates 90 days of residency immediately prior to the sale. Acceptable documentation to prove 90-day continuous residency must be original documentation (e.g., utility bills, current bank statements, rent receipts, mortgage payments, lease agreements, personal property tax bills, documents issued by Federal, State, or local government agencies, first-class mail issued by government agency, insurance policies, or bill with current address or major credit card bill).

Additional questions and answers regarding nonimmigrant aliens can be found at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html.

In addition, ATF does not have any jurisdiction over State laws. You should forward all inquiries as to State law to your State Attorney General’s Office. They will be able to answer any and all questions regarding firearms laws in your State.

We trust this correspondence has been responsive to your inquiry. Any further questions should be addressed to your local ATF office. A listing of ATF office phone numbers can be found here: http://www.atf.gov/field.

Thank you,

ATF, Firearms Industry Programs Branch

So we are back to square one it seems. I don't know what to advise at this point!

I would say as Manic Moran pointed out you are probably covered by item (2) "other sporting use of firearms" in the event that anyone starts asking questions (which is extremely unlikely anyway). If you happen to have a non immigrant visa however, you'll need the hunting license.

They thought you were pulling their leg.

:)

Advertisement