Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family boat trips in Co Wexford ?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just had a look at previous threads, and got great info on what to do with a young family for a few days in Wexford.
    We're heading off on Friday in a campervan, and the kids are 3 and 5.

One thing I have found difficult to get precise info about on the internet are boat trips. We all love to head off on a boat for a family scenic trip, and if there are dolphins or seals to be seen it's even better. Anything going in the area ? I know Kilmore Quay do the trips to the Saltees but kids are a bit young for that I'd say, we just want a little look around a harbour + little bit of coast then back, same length as the Fungy experience down in Dingle.

We're basically going to follow the coastline from Duncannon to that big famous beach North of Wexford in 3/4 days. We're coming from West Waterford so not much travelling :).

If there's nothing on the way to Wexford, we're planning to stop in New Ross on the way back to take a look at the Dunbrody "pirate ship" ;), anything going up river without the dinner on board in New Ross ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hi all, just had a look at previous threads, and got great info on what to do with a young family for a few days in Wexford.
    We're heading off on Friday in a campervan, and the kids are 3 and 5.

One thing I have found difficult to get precise info about on the internet are boat trips. We all love to head off on a boat for a family scenic trip, and if there are dolphins or seals to be seen it's even better. Anything going in the area ? I know Kilmore Quay do the trips to the Saltees but kids are a bit young for that I'd say, we just want a little look around a harbour + little bit of coast then back, same length as the Fungy experience down in Dingle.

We're basically going to follow the coastline from Duncannon to that big famous beach North of Wexford in 3/4 days. We're coming from West Waterford so not much travelling :).

If there's nothing on the way to Wexford, we're planning to stop in New Ross on the way back to take a look at the Dunbrody "pirate ship" ;), anything going up river without the dinner on board in New Ross ?

Thanks !

I think there's Wexford harbour boat trips,but if the weather is calm the best bet is The Saltees trip (don't forget sunscreen)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

there are boat trips form wexford quayfront any time the weather is good..no doubt theyll be there for this weekend... its about 18 euro per adult and they bring you off for 30 mins or more to see the seals on the sandbar just off the coastline in wexford town.

you can get a family ticket for 4 but may cost you around 60 euro or so i think .... but meant to be a great little trip ...out and back ... no more than an hour i think ...chance to get pics and will be great for the kids to see the seals !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

yeah, screw the Dolphins, Smug gits that they are, Seals is where its at :pac:

Would the Passage East ferry count as a boat trip? :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

The Galley cruising restaurant is just off the bridge in new ross, never been on it but they do a good trade so cat be all bad. There's a crowd renting cruisers in the marina, you could do a half day on the river by yourselves, no dolphins but plenty of turds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks all.
    We changed plans and headed from Wexford to West Cork and Kerry actually, were pretty disappointed I must say.

We did visit the Dunbrody famine ship, this was a great visit, actors on board and guide were super, kids enjoyed it at their level, and us at ours.

We drove to a campsite I had spotted and rung, and were so disappointed we didn't even stay the night (campervan) and we headed to Tramore instead.

I think Wexford seems to have great spots to visit, and we will return for day trips, but I won't attempt to plan a trip with the camper there again. Oodles of potential, awful shame amenities/facilities are just not there.
    We breathed a sigh of relief on reaching West Cork where we knew we would find everything we might need as tourists.

I really don't mean to offend anyone from Wexford with this post, I just think it is, like a lot of other areas in Ireland, not making the most of its tourism potential. Beautiful spots, nowhere to stay, not many places to eat (for a tourist), not enough tours of key attractions to the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

Where was the campsite? What was wrong with it?

I don't like to give names very much, I could be putting off people who might like it... we just didn't get a very good feel for it on arrival, and to us this first approach usually proves to be pretty indicative of what the experience will be. There was no one at reception, which looked run down and abandonned, and the place seemed mostly populated with mobile home owners who while perfectly entitled to enjoy their usual campsite, do not really create a welcoming atmosphere when you come in with the camper. There was no camper's pitch in sight, no tents, just rows of mobile homes. To us campers that says : mobile home place only.

There are only what, 5, maybe 6 campsites listed for Wexford on the campsites of Ireland guide... 2 (the closest to Wexford) were booked out, this one looked to be geared more towards regular mobile home users, and 2/3 other places were not answering their phone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't like to give names very much, I could be putting off people who might like it... we just didn't get a very good feel for it on arrival, and to us this first approach usually proves to be pretty indicative of what the experience will be. There was no one at reception, which looked run down and abandonned, and the place seemed mostly populated with mobile home owners who while perfectly entitled to enjoy their usual campsite, do not really create a welcoming atmosphere when you come in with the camper. There was no camper's pitch in sight, no tents, just rows of mobile homes. To us campers that says : mobile home place only.

There are only what, 5, maybe 6 campsites listed for Wexford on the campsites of Ireland guide... 2 (the closest to Wexford) were booked out, this one looked to be geared more towards regular mobile home users, and 2/3 other places were not answering their phone at all.

That's the problem in Wexford,the sites are geared towards static mobile homes which are nearly all privately owned and there's very little available for the likes of campervans or caravanners.
    Friends of mine have started taking these holidays and have to travel outside the county to find proper facilities although I think there's a place in Carne.
    Considering the amount of beaches we have it's a shame we don't have facilities to match.
    I hope Mountainsandh that this experience hasn't put you off returning to the county.

Exactly Zerks. The 2 places near Wexford town seem great, but if they don't have the capacity to accommodate campers/touring units, that's a lot of business lost...

I'm French myself, have been living here in Ireland about 15 years, but we've only had the camper the last 3 years. I would love to see Ireland developing some kind of aire's set up, or a "camping municipal" sort of thing, whereby every small town, and even villages, would have a designated area for campers. There is just so much to discover, and nothing to facilitate people discovering it.
    A lot of places in France have these little areas designated, and to make sure these places are not taken over/abused by undesirables, they would have a gate, and a key to be obtained on registration at the local shop/church/mayorplace/community/sports centre.

Anyway, it hasn't put me off discovering Wexford, in fact there are lots of things I want to check out, but we're lucky we are in Co Waterford and can make a day trip of it. Pity though, it's not the same when you can stay on the spot.

Advertisement