Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant cry

Options
  • 20-04-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

it seems lately i just cant cry no matter how hard i try or want to its so frustrating :( anybody else ever felt this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Maybe you're...not sad? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

^ You can be sad but not be able to cry. Annoying because after a crying session you do usually feel a lot calmer. Know what you mean anyway OP - maybe try watching a really sad movie? That tends to help things along.

A laughing session has the same effect tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

jumpguy wrote: »
    A laughing session has the same effect tbh.

Not really, when you feel like you want to cry you probably wouldn't laugh anyway.

Sad movies/sad music/thinking about really sad things would normally do the trick, I'd imagine. Can't say I've experienced it myself, I don't really cry a lot but when I do it comes pretty easily. :o Hope it helps, everything feels a little better after. Mhmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

it seems lately i just cant cry no matter how hard i try or want to its so frustrating :( anybody else ever felt this?

Tbh, i dont know why you'd want to, but thats your business...

I cried for the first time in nearly 5 years the last night... :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I find chopping onions helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xlegallyblondex

i dont perticulary want to but when something really sad happens 2 me and i feel like i need 2 i cant :( it frustrates me and makes me more upset but still no tears and i never cry at sad movies etc but thanks for the thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Try The Notebook or The Time Travellers Wife....stronger men than me have been broken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Cut up some onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

sesna wrote: »
    I find chopping onions helps.
    Cut up some onions.

i don't cry when I'm chopping onions.

hL0OMG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Chop enough red onions to make a few jars of marmalade (about 6 or 7 of them) and you'll be blind for the rest of the evening. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

OP speaking as someone who has the ability to cry in any situation and when wind/sun/strong smells/allergies/anything starts my eyes weeping why would you want to cry? :confused: It sucksss, like I can barely watch any film coz the point of them is something sad happens at some point and being the only one sobbing watching a film is never good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Yeah, I've certainly felt like that before... where I'm actively aware that I'm feeling really down, but my body won't do anything to make it better. It's extremely frustrating, because the thoughts weigh more heavily on your mind with each day of leaving them unexpressed. I can totally understand why you would want to cry, crying is helpful! I don't know if the physiological mechanisms are understood or even proved to exist, but it does seem to make you feel a whole lot better afterwards.

As other people have said, watching a sad movie could help. I find that music helps a lot, especially if you pick something that resonates with your mood. Maybe it could be something with sad lyrics that you can relate to, or something lyric-less and ambient that could help coax out your reasons for feeling bad, or even something happy to put your emotions in perspective! You might be looking for catharsis, rather than just the ability to cry - so try to do or discover something that gives that to you.

One time I was about to sneeze and my eyes got all teary, and then I ended up crying about various other things. Killing a few birds with one stone, y'know, said I might as well get it all over with in one go. So yeah, maybe go out and smell some flowers or something? :)

If you REALLY wanna cry, and are immune to the power of onions, get get some Vicks Vaporub, fire it into some boiling water, open your eyes into the vapour, job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Watch these with Vicks Vaporub under your eyes. Unless you enjoy sad old people and dead dolphins...

Have you ever read Go ask Alice OP??

It's definately get your tear ducts pumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm usually immune to crying; films, music, sad stories etc. have never done anything for me. I think I've cried twice in the past year, and no more than 5 times in the past 5 years.

Last time, however, was this morning. :o Got no sleep last night because my skin was so itchy and my throat was killing me, felt really miserable all morning and stupidly allowed myself reminisce on bad things that happened in the past that I generally try not to think about. While simultaneously contemplating final year exams and how I'm too sick to study at the moment. Just got overwhelmed by everything. Gah. :(

Not sure why I'm even sharing that tbh....

Awh Knifey! *cuddles* <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I wish I could stop crying. It'd be alright if it was only when I was sad, but getting angry or frustrated tends to set me off as well. I'm that girl who cries during arguments and exams. I'm such a baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I normally never ever cry, it's something about myself that I've always kind of liked tbh. Lately, however, I've been a bit of a mess. I cried in public a couple of weeks ago, oh the horrors...

Moral of the story: Don't worry, I consider myself to be fairly normal, and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

This one time at band camp.. I cried

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I cry all the time. At everything. When I'm tired, I end up crying. When I hurt myself, I cry. When I'm angry, I cry. When I'm watching movies, I cry. When I'm watching TV programmes, I cry. When I'm sad, I cry. When my Mum asks me how I am in a certain way, I cry. When I'm reading a book, I cry. When I watch anything that involves dogs dying, I cry. It's really not all it's made out to be, I hate that I end up crying so much and half the time I don't even know why.

Also this is the ultimate tear jerker of a movie.

kateos2 wrote: »
    When my Mum asks me how I am in a certain way, I cry.

Ha, if I'm feeling pretty down, and someone asks, 'are you ok?'...I end up in bits. This is still a recent thing, I used to be invincible dammit. I blame hormones, soon I'll end up wanting kids. And I'm the least maternal person ever. Bleh, I'm turning into such a giiiiiirl. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xlegallyblondex

awwww thanks for all the replys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Redlion wrote: »
    No matter what I tried, it just doesn't happen for me. I'm a guy by the way. That being said, most girls I know have said that they cry regularly, on average about once a week. The reasons they gave were significant and insignificant. Don't know if it's just a guy thing or not.
    I would guess that in general men are less inclined toward crying as an emotional response. I don't think crying is an appropriate response for anything less than a person's death, extreme mental anguish or something similar to those two.

Of course some men are complete softies who cry over everything like a bunch of sissies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why do you want to cry so badly? You musn't have much to cry over then, smile a little :)

If you're that desperate to get upset, watch this. I'm serious though, that video is not for the faint hearted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

seanbmc wrote: »

My God. Why did I watch that? That's extremely heart rending.

I've never cried watching a movie or anything. The closest I came to was Bambi. I'm not really someone who cries a lot. That was hard, though. Poor guy. :(

Advertisement