Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating pizza politely?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

apparently the italians eat Pizza like you do/did :D

i'd go with them they've been eating it for bajillions of years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caffman

As far as I know the most polite way is just like folding the pizza slice in half, that's what I do anyway. It stops the toppings from going everywhere !
    could be one of them things though like trying the eat barbeque ribs without making a mess (or maybe that's just me :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The notion that eating with your hands is unpolite is nonsense. Some food are simply made for eating with your hands. Far enough, eat chips and such with a knife and fork but sandwichs, burgers and pizza you pick up to bite.

If you are qworried about it, order something else
    Caffman wrote: »
    As far as I know the most polite way is just like folding the pizza slice in half, that's what I do anyway. It stops the toppings from going everywhere !

I do this, not out of politeness but just because its stays rigid and it easier to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use the three-finger fold.
    Outside fingers push the edges up and the middle folds the slice.
    The slice is curved inwards so topping slippage is only likely to result in a the topping sliding to the middle of the slice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samtod66

To eat pizza this way is Great when you have enough time.It is a good method to enjoy every bite of pizza.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I always eat pizza out of hand - it's by far the most enjoyable way. It's not a fork & knife friendly food.

If the pizza is a bit sloppy (or inclined to run) then I fold it appropriately and I tuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Frankly, I don't understand people who eat pizza with a knife and fork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ryandublin

Plowman wrote: »

I have never understood why they don't slice the pizza before serving it in Europe. If the argument is the presentation value, that I can understand. However the should provide you with a pizza cutter.

In my experience pizza over here tends to be sub par and to make you slice it yourself is a pretentious lazy way of lending 'authenticity' to it. I had terrible pizza the other day from Milano and it is hard to cut and tedious to eat.

I generally can make better pizza at home and always slice it. Which is an advantage of you want to share. I guess in Europe the sizes are small so pizza is looked at as a personal dish but where I i am from the pies are huge and meant to normally be shared.

It seems to be the preference here so I will leave it at that.

Should have read further if it came sliced and you used your hands to eat it that is the proper way. I just assumed it was served unsliced as is the norm this side of the pond. I should learn to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I use the three-finger fold.
    Outside fingers push the edges up and the middle folds the slice.
    The slice is curved inwards so topping slippage is only likely to result in a the topping sliding to the middle of the slice.
    em, we still talking bout pizza...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

ryandublin wrote: »
    I have never understood why they don't slice the pizza before serving it in Europe.

They don't slice it, particularly if you're getting take away, because once you cut into it, it loses a lot of its heat.

But, to get back on track, I always eat pizza with my hands. Don't under stand the knife and fork thing either. Even if you are in the bestests of restaurants, as long as you have your napkin tucked into your necklace/collar it's all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ryandublin

If it is sliced and packaged properly it won't lose much heat. In fact it will lose more heat in the time it takes struggling to cut it. It also gets messy if you try to cut pizza before it cools down and congeals allowing it to be properly cut with an ordinary knife. Yty cutting into a molten hot pizza or one that has stood for a few minutes. The difference is obvious.

Take away might be different because it is already a tad bit cold when it arrives but even then it should be cut. I have a proper pizza cutter at my house so it doesn't much matter but if the pizza comes too hot I leave it a couple minutes for the same reason that many dishes are advisable to live sit for 5 minutes after ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Eating pizza with a knife and fork takes all the pleasure out of it. Yay for food that you eat with your hands.
    ryandublin wrote: »
    I had terrible pizza the other day from
    Milano and it is hard to cut and tedious to eat.

There's a place in Ranelagh that does the best pizza in Dublin. We're contemplating driving across the city just to re-visit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ArtSmart wrote: »
    em, we still talking bout pizza...?
    This is the food and drink forum no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The only place i eat pizza with a knife and fork is pizza hut... i have no idea why....

could do with some cheesy bites now...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I always use a knife and a fork to eat pizza but it might be jsut me. I generally don't like to eat with my fingers. I've been to Italy many times and everyone had their own way to eat pizza. Someone used a knife and a fork, somene used their fingers and noone was blaming anyone.
    By the way, they serve really big pizzas in Italy and in Europe. Well, that's what I have seen myself till now.

Advertisement