Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much exercise for 14yr old terrier?

• 20-04-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I took in a 14yr old terrier,Elsie in January. She is mostly in great health apart from a slight flare up of stiffness every now and again in her back legs. I have a German Shepherd (1.5yr old), a Labarador (3yr old), and a terrier (3yr old). All the dogs love their walks and heaven forbid I leave the old girl at home - she loves getting out after spending her whole life being ignored and effectively locked up. We have tried walking her separately but she is only happy when out with the pack.

We usually go for an hour walk, off lead, but I fear this is far too much for Elsie so just looking for some advice. I have been offered a dog trolley type thing that I could bring so when she gets tired, I could put her in it and allow the other dogs extra time walking because at the moment, their walks are cut short because of the fear we are overdoing it with the terrier!

Elsie doesn't stop walking, she potters and toddles behind us, stopping to smell the grass and explore, she hasn't reached a point of being too tired to walk, but I am not sure that she is just being stubborn and is too afraid to stop walking in case we leave her (or maybe I am over-thinking this).

So if anyone has any words of wisdom in this area or if you think I am overwalking her, please let me know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I don't have any expertise in dog exercise but I have a 6 year old rottweiler and he has run since the day he was born and he is the most active dog still However a rottweiler and terrier are very different. I personally think that an hour is fine dogs love walks and believe me if the terrier or any dog didn't want to walk they wouldn't hence the bulldog:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I had a 14 year old terrier that would do an hour just fine, she half moved next door and would happily do an hour with me and an hour with next door. Just build it up gradually so you're happy yourself and maybe bring the trolly/buggy with you so if she is struggling you can pop her in.

Signs of her struggling would be excessive panting, not lifting her feet properly so you hear nails scraping off the path, really lagging behind but not stopping to smell stuff, limping, head hanging.

I currently have a 13 year old collie x who runs an hour a day and would turn around when we get home and do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

I had a 14 year old terrier that would do an hour just fine, she half moved next door and would happily do an hour with me and an hour with next door. Just build it up gradually so you're happy yourself and maybe bring the trolly/buggy with you so if she is struggling you can pop her in.

Signs of her struggling would be excessive panting, not lifting her feet properly so you hear nails scraping off the path, really lagging behind but not stopping to smell stuff, limping, head hanging.

I currently have a 13 year old collie x who runs an hour a day and would turn around when we get home and do it again.

thank you very much for that information. When we go out, she does lag behind, but the other three are so fast she hasn't a hope of keeping up. She stops constantly to sniff and pee but never stops to rest as such. We will be getting the trolley in the coming days so will see what she makes of it before we consider using it!

Advertisement