Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overreacted? what is the correct response?

• 21-04-2011 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

There's a small dog in the estate though I don't know the breed.
    Vicious little thing and while it doesn't bite me it grabs my pants/tracksuit or whatever I'm wearing.

Does it to others too, the owners always wave and apologize. And me being the quiet type let it go and say "yeah it's grand" and walk on

Even if it's chained up it barks and strains and to get at you.
    But happened every time I pass the house so today after getting my tracksuit bottom gripped yet again I lost my temper and went to hit it with my sportsbag. Didn't even connect but it went away whimpering in fear. Got a shock I suppose.

Well, I wish I hadn't :eek:
    The owners who were sitting in the sun pushed me around, followed me to the door and was told a host of insults and "me fella" would sort me out.
    Being a lad I can't realy hit back a women but I did deflect a push and was told I hit her. I hit women now appearantly :rolleyes:

I like animals as much as the next person, grew up on a farm even. Doubt I'm the first with rough neighbors and a runt of a dog?

What is the response? I've never been bitten so doubt the gardai even care and they'd probably be told I pushed this one in the estate

I threatened the owners with the dog warden and got laughed at and sure, they know it's me, retaliation :(
    I'm not afraid of the dog, I'll continue to walk past but it's damn annoying and it'll be a child in shorts one day who gets a bite

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The dog is being obnoxious, and so is the owner. You're in the right here. And honestly I don't blame you for losing your temper.

(As an aside, buy a cheap-ass packet of cat kibble. Have a handful of it. The next time the dog has a go at you, take the handful of kibble out of your pocket and scatter it on the ground. Hopefully the dog will lose most interest in you and start nosing about for the kibble. Liver treats may also work, as will any small dog-relatd treat.)

I'd call the gardai if I were you, and discuss it with them. Ask them for advice. You might be amazed at what happens if you call the gardai and say 'This has happened, what do you think I should do?' as opposed you 'This happened, you have to do something about it'.

I can absolutely imagine the dog is an unlikeable little bollix, but if you can, try to feel sorry for it for a second - it has that behaviour because it's learned that it's allowed have it, and you've seen how feral his owners are. The dog doesn't have a chance.

I personally think it'd be hilarious if their dog ended up sitting and wagging its tail every time it saw you because it associated you with treats and good things. I'm sure that'd piss its owners off no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I agree,give it treats as you pass and make friends.Sick for the owners :D
    Really annoys me about people like that.
    I once had two big labrador crosses living near me.They were a menace.Once they got one of the kids dolls snapped it right out of her hand.The kids were terrified.They wandered the area like a pack of wolves.Except there were only two.They barked at everything that moved and watched it like prey.I got even to the stage i crossed over to avoid them,they growled at me once and that was enough.
    I ofc went down to the owners and told them,and i was told oh we will keep them in.But they didnt and on it went.They were reported for the dogs roaming alone free,but nothing came of it.And i moved so never saw them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

soumds like these losers cant even look after a dog considering that it walks around wherever it wants to go unless its tied with a chain:mad:
    treats is a good idea :) give the owner a treat too and see if she waggs her tail:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah, Explain the situaton to the Gardai, at least they will have your account of things well before any stories are made up about you.

Advertisement