Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another politics related issue...

Options
  • 21-04-2011 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Earlier I was permabanned from the poltics forum. I PM'd the mod in question hours ago but since he didn't reply, I've decided to start this thread. The vague reason of "trolling" was given for my ban. I'm saddened because politics is one of about only three forums I visit on boards and is a major interest of mine.

The thread topic was the unprecedented success of the anti-immigrant True Finns party in Finland and the discussion turned to the issue of immigrant crime in neighbouring Scandinavia as a possible reason for their success. I always link to stats and evidence to back up my arguments. I present facts. How facts can be interpreted as trolling, I don't know. I find it frustrating when other posters dismiss arguments with their own subjective opinion with no evidence to back their claim. Surely this can be construed as trolling.

I can only guess that certain posters are too fond of the report button, especially when they see an opinion or set of facts that they don't like. A mod can therefore feel under pressure to act, resulting in an unwarranted ban. There is one poster in particular, notorious for his outrageously left-wing views and support for Republicans, who never actually particiapted in the debate but slyly thanked every post attempting to counter my arguments. I suppose today was a victory for him. His constant complaining has paid off and now there is one less dissenting voice on the forum.

It should also be noted that several posters have carried on my side of the argument, with even more stats and evidence, yet they aren't being banned. The mind boggles. I ask that the ban be reversed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Give the mod a day or two to respond. We're busy, have lives etc and can't be expected to be able to reply within a few hours every time.
    Fo Real wrote: »
    I can only guess that certain posters are too fond of the report button, especially when they see an opinion or set of facts that they don't like. A mod can therefore feel under pressure to act, resulting in an unwarranted ban.

Actually we just ignore said reported posts if they are not actionable. We feel under no obligation to respond when someone reports a post and in fact in the past have told people to cool off if they report stuff that is not actionable too often.

Regardless, this is the wrong forum for this, and you have not given the mod sufficient time to reply so you should wait for the mod to get back to you before taking it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as NESF says, this is a DR issue and not feedback. He is also correct about the timeframe. Give the mod a chance to respond before publicly denouncing him/her , perhaps there is a very valid reason for your ban that you dont realise yet and the mod will explain it properly to you by pm, if not, the cmod will look into it for you.

closing thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement