Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade?

Options
  • 21-04-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hi, got a letter in the post saying my eircom bb was being upgraded from 3mb to 8mb free of charge, just wondering do i have to contact eircom about it or is it just going to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

You will be automatically upgraded within a month. You can however call sales on 1800503303 and request it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

funkyouup wrote: »
    Hi, got a letter in the post saying my eircom bb was being upgraded from 3mb to 8mb free of charge, just wondering do i have to contact eircom about it or is it just going to happen?

Hi funkyouup,

poisonedstream is spot on again :) The migration to NGB wil occur within a month of the letter being sent.

When the broadband is migrated to NGB no new contract will be applied.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

No new contract is applied but you will be charged for every gigabyte over your allowed usage.

and the maximum download speed is 8MB but you may not get it.

Mine is hovering around 3 at the moment and I've been upgraded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

garbeth wrote: »
    No new contract is applied but you will be charged for every gigabyte over your allowed usage.

and the maximum download speed is 8MB but you may not get it.

Mine is hovering around 3 at the moment and I've been upgraded
    Hi garbeth
    if you would like me to test your line for speed capacity just PM me your line no. Cannot promise faster speed but can try. :)
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Good stuff, thanks for the replies lads:)

• Advertisement

Hi, this upgrade still hasnt happened yet, rang eircom about a week and a half ago andno one seemed to know when or if my broadband is getting upgraded.

Hi, this upgrade still hasnt happened yet, rang eircom about a week and a half ago andno one seemed to know when or if my broadband is getting upgraded.

Hi funkyouup,

Can you PM your telephone number or account number and I can check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

Same Story, rang again and no one had a clue what i was talking about, for an upgrade that was meant to happen inside of a month!

Same Story, rang again and no one had a clue what i was talking about, for an upgrade that was meant to happen inside of a month!

Hi funkyouup,

Sorry to hear the upgrade order has not issued as yet, however I attempted a NGB mock order and it will go through ok.

So if you place the order either through.

http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

And enter your details, or you can call 1800 503 303 and they can arrange that for you.

It will complete in 24/48 hours.

Thanks, Mark

Hi again, my upgrade happened sometime last week, it went from 3mb to 4.5mb. Got another letter today from you guys saying as a valued customer im getting upgraded to 24mb, i rang the number above and was told that i wasnt getting 24mb because i was on a different package(sorry cant remember exactly what he said), and when asked why i was sent this letter he didnt know and gave me the eircom complaints number:confused:.
    So i rang that and complaints were closed but a more helpful eircom guy told me that ill be getting 17mb and that its going through within 24 hours which is great, im just wondering how is it even possible to get 17 or 24 if i cant even get 8?

• Advertisement

Hi again, my upgrade happened sometime last week, it went from 3mb to 4.5mb. Got another letter today from you guys saying as a valued customer im getting upgraded to 24mb, i rang the number above and was told that i wasnt getting 24mb because i was on a different package(sorry cant remember exactly what he said), and when asked why i was sent this letter he didnt know and gave me the eircom complaints number:confused:.
    So i rang that and complaints were closed but a more helpful eircom guy told me that ill be getting 17mb and that its going through within 24 hours which is great, im just wondering how is it even possible to get 17 or 24 if i cant even get 8?

Hi funkyouup,

Your telephone line is showing a bandwith capacity of between 14-17MB so eircom wil send out an ADSL 2 Zyxel modem to avail of the "up to 24MB package". When your have got and set up the new modem and are getting below the 14Mb.

Let me know and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

My bandwith capacity is no where near 14-17mb, the standard eircom netopia modem im using is capable of better than 4.3mb, but your saying a new Zyxel one can give up to 17?
    Also, thats the 3rd time since i got this letter yesterday ive asked asked an eircom rep that question -
    first response was i dont know why you were sent that letter, ignore it or ring complaints; second was to wait 24 hours and my line will be upgraded to 24mb automatically; and now i need a new modem to avail, really hope this is the end of this.

My bandwith capacity is no where near 14-17mb, the standard eircom netopia modem im using is capable of better than 4.3mb, but your saying a new Zyxel one can give up to 17?
    Also, thats the 3rd time since i got this letter yesterday ive asked asked an eircom rep that question -
    first response was i dont know why you were sent that letter, ignore it or ring complaints; second was to wait 24 hours and my line will be upgraded to 24mb automatically; and now i need a new modem to avail, really hope this is the end of this.

Hi funkyouup,

It is best to go through all the tests when your get the modem and thenwe can go through your set up and sync.

Thanks, Mark

Can you elaborate on these tests Mark? As my line was tested already for 8mb which i was told yup that line is fine for 8mb, yet here we are and its a little over half that.

Can you elaborate on these tests Mark? As my line was tested already for 8mb which i was told yup that line is fine for 8mb, yet here we are and its a little over half that.

Hi funkyouup,

Your line is as I said, the line is showing a bandwith capacity of between 14 - 17MB. The DSL is synced at 8MB at the moment so I am surprised your getting less than 5MB.

However as the order is being processed at the moment to switch to the NGB unlimate. There is no no point going through the connection / set up until you get the new modem.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Hey sorry for hijacking the thread. I got the letter yesterday saying I was getting a free upgrade to NGB ultimate because I was on 7mb home advanced product. I know that im not on the 7mb product im only on the 3mb so what sort of NGB service will I get?

kojack wrote: »
    Hey sorry for hijacking the thread. I got the letter yesterday saying I was getting a free upgrade to NGB ultimate because I was on 7mb home advanced product. I know that im not on the 7mb product im only on the 3mb so what sort of NGB service will I get?

Hi kojack,

Can you send on your telephone number and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

PM sent thanks

PM sent thanks

Hi kojack,

I PM you back, let me know if you have any follow up queries.

Thanks, Mark

New router arrived today and has been set up, speeds still the sames so whats the next step?

• Advertisement

New router arrived today and has been set up, speeds still the sames so whats the next step?

Hi funkyouup,

Can you try:

http://bit.ly/eircomSupport1 - Broadband Checklist

And get back to me.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, went through that checklist 1 by 1 and speed is still the same

Hi Mark, went through that checklist 1 by 1 and speed is still the same

Hi funkyouup,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I will get back to you tomorrow with an update.

Mark

Ok thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hi Mark

I got the same letter today, despite only also being on the 3mb product (and only getting 1.7mb most of the time)

So 2 questions here

1. Why is there a discrepancy between what I'm on and what the letter says
    2. Will the line actually handle the new speed ? eircom had offered me this a few months back and I had to tell them that I didn't think the line would handle it......they initially reassured me that yes, it would, and then they rang back to say "oops, no it won't"

Is it too much to hope for that I will actually get it this time around ?

Fingers crossed!

Ok thanks.

Hi funkyouup,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you I have checked your broadband sync and there is an problem. I have escalated it and I will let you know as soon as I have any updates.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, i had an eircom engineer at my house this morning also, the speed is now gone back down to 3.3mb and pings are pretty high to as of now

Hi Mark, i had an eircom engineer at my house this morning also, the speed is now gone back down to 3.3mb and pings are pretty high to as of now

Hi funkyouup,

Thanks for letting me know, leave it with me and I will let you know as soon as I have an update.

Thanks, Mark

Speeds gone back up to 4.5 ish again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Speeds gone back up to 4.5 ish again.

Hi funkyyouup
    I can see tech was out and reports internal wiring issue, Mark has escalated this to broadband tech support manager and is awaiting their response, will be back to you soon.
    Tony

Advertisement