Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about getting a scooter

• 21-04-2011 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently been forced out of employment due to health issues, and the running costs of my car are unfortunately too much, especially with the prices of petrol these days. I was considering getting a scooter, something like the new models based on the old Vespa Design. (Neco 125 or the LML.

I have a full license for a car for a few years now, and I'm 28. Would I be able to drive a 125 scooter with this license (both scooters come in 125 flavours), or would I have to pass another test?

Also - Does anybody have any experience with the above models? I read a review about the Neco which seemed positive. I'm not really interested in Vespa purism. I just like the design of it, not worried about a badge - so in that respect, I understand that neither of the models will be an actual real Vespa. Also, if there is any other alternatives similar to the Vespa design, I'd be interested in seeing them too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

alri boi,,,think you might nee to do the theory test to drive a 125 scoot but unsure aswell at the same time,,dose it have to be a italinan style scooter ur after plenty of other options out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Has to be 'vespa-ish'. If you look at the models I linked, you'll see the type of one I'm after. Don't want any of the newer looking scooters, I think they are terrible on the eyes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

It will be the full theory test, 16 hours of IBT (can be got for €290 if sharing with another person, this includes bike rental) and then you can get your learner permit and start riding. When doing your theory and applying for your learner permit, go for the full A license. After the 16 hours you will need to wait 6 months before sitting the full test but you should be at a level where you can pass it.
    You will probably save money in the long run but you will have a decent initial outlay for rider training, bike gear (€500) and the new bike. Also it's rough enough having two wheels as your only form of transport, can't carry anything bar what's on your back which is a pain for shopping and can be annoying having to spend the couple of minutes getting suited up when just going somewhere local. That said, you'll love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

as far as i kno ur full licence covers you to drive a 50cc moped ,,and since ur looking for a 125 moped ya might have to do a theory test for that catagorey A licence and if you have to do it go for the A and not a1 as your not limited in your options that way,,but in saying that there a deise lad selling a sr 50 aprilia handy money on adverts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not interested in a 50cc Scooter unfortunately, or any new models :) I'll have to work out costs of doing the lessons and all that for the license, and see if it will be more hassle than it's worth. Will have a sleep on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

You could ride any size Piaggio MP3 on your car license. 125, 250, 300, 400 and 500cc Piaggio MP3's can driven on your car license. Just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

as far as i kno ur full licence covers you to drive a 50cc moped ,,and since ur looking for a 125 moped ya might have to do a theory test for that catagorey A licence and if you have to do it go for the A and not a1 as your not limited in your options that way,,but in saying that there a deise lad selling a sr 50 aprilia handy money on adverts :)

That was changed in 2006 AFAIK
    You could ride any size Piaggio MP3 on your car license. 125, 250, 300, 400 and 500cc Piaggio MP3's can driven on your car license. Just a thought!

Are you sure of this and is insurance easily obtainable? Just look at all the quad threads floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I had an lml and it served me well enough to be fair. That said though, you can get yourself a px200 or px125 for cheap enough used. Im currently on a px200, its learner legal and the same insurance bracket as a 125. Its a fair bit quicker than the lml and is more reliable. Food for thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

dlofnep wrote: »
    Has to be 'vespa-ish'. If you look at the models I linked, you'll see the type of one I'm after. Don't want any of the newer looking scooters, I think they are terrible on the eyes :(

Why not just get the real thing? There are plenty of vespas on places like donedeal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you sure of this and is insurance easily obtainable? Just look at all the quad threads floating about.

It's taxed as a motorcycle and only motorcycle insurance companies will cover you. Saying that I had no problem getting fully comprehensive insurance from Aon/AXA.

I'm also quite confident you need a car license. I have an email from the Department of Transport to that effect and if you ring Aon they will tell you the same thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement