Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlecomer-Proposed Development

Options
  • 21-04-2011 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Am I getting cynical with old age or is Kilkenny County Council just not learning anything. They appear to have given permission for two developement in Castlecomer. On one it is to develop a hotel in a convent opposite the lovely church. A hotel in Comer :rolleyes: The Avalon inn is still empty :(
    The second is a mix of retail and residential on the site of the old creamery incorporating the fine three storey structure that fronts onto the square. Does Comer need this.

Will KK CC every learn. I mean some brave/silly soul put up a hotel, still vacant, in Ballyragget. Though I think it may have been put up with retention sought after. A hotel in Ballyragget. Nuts :mad:

Apparently the CC will pocket about 345k in fees for the two schemes. Based on report in the KK people. Will the new scheme adversely impact the visual appeal of the square in Comer which is very nice.

Now I know the jobs arguement will be put forward. But look at all the abandoned and empty schemes across the country. Sheer madness.

Actually having re read my post as a matter of interest was the Avalon Inn just a pub or had it accomodation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

holyhead wrote: »
    Am I getting cynical with old age or is Kilkenny County Council just not learning anything. They appear to have given permission for two developement in Castlecomer. On one it is to develop a hotel in a convent opposite the lovely church. A hotel in Comer :rolleyes: The Avalon inn is still empty :(
    The second is a mix of retail and residential on the site of the old creamery incorporating the fine three storey structure that fronts onto the square. Does Comer need this.

Will KK CC every learn. I mean some brave/silly soul put up a hotel, still vacant, in Ballyragget. Though I think it may have been put up with retention sought after. A hotel in Ballyragget. Nuts :mad:

Apparently the CC will pocket about 345k in fees for the two schemes. Based on report in the KK people. Will the new scheme adversely impact the visual appeal of the square in Comer which is very nice.

Now I know the jobs arguement will be put forward. But look at all the abandoned and empty schemes across the country. Sheer madness.

Actually having re read my post as a matter of interest was the Avalon Inn just a pub or had it accomodation?
    The square of comer is in no way nice.

Avalon had plenty of accom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

The square of comer is in no way nice.
    Trolling- Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think the square in Castlecomer is quite pretty, especially in summer when the lime trees are leafey.

Get rid of the skanger bangers and the skanky chip van and it would be quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Jobs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I can't see why anyone would stay in Comer and I don't mean that to say anything bad about Comer. There's a couple of events up there that might attract a couple of nights stays and you might get a bit of overspill from the Cat Laughs but what about the rest of the year? Most people would be going to Kilkenny, they can have busy centre accommodation or quiet accommodation just outside of town. I don't think there's any major business around Comer, at least Ballyragget had Glanbia as a potential client. With the new motorway, that eliminates anyone who may have stayed there to get out of Kilkenny fast the next day.

Having said all of the above, I was Food and Beverage manager in a small hotel in a place about the size of Comer in England. It was a horrible experience but the hotel did OK but then again we were close to Goodwood and picked up massive amounts of business from that. It also had a function room which brought people in. If the hotel in Comer can attract weddings and such it will automatically generate business for the rooms. I don't know if they plan on a function room but if not, they may as well forget the whole thing.

As for the jobs argument, I'd prefer to see money pumped into sustainable jobs rather than ones that last for a few months and the few that'll be there for a couple of years.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

I can't see why anyone would stay in Comer and I don't mean that to say anything bad about Comer. There's a couple of events up there that might attract a couple of nights stays and you might get a bit of overspill from the Cat Laughs but what about the rest of the year? Most people would be going to Kilkenny, they can have busy centre accommodation or quiet accommodation just outside of town. I don't think there's any major business around Comer, at least Ballyragget had Glanbia as a potential client. With the new motorway, that eliminates anyone who may have stayed there to get out of Kilkenny fast the next day.

Having said all of the above, I was Food and Beverage manager in a small hotel in a place about the size of Comer in England. It was a horrible experience but the hotel did OK but then again we were close to Goodwood and picked up massive amounts of business from that. It also had a function room which brought people in. If the hotel in Comer can attract weddings and such it will automatically generate business for the rooms. I don't know if they plan on a function room but if not, they may as well forget the whole thing.

Well let them build what they like just as long as the taxpayer doesnt end up bankrolling it if it all goes belly up. There is no market for a Hotel here as people will want to be in Kilkenny. What is needed however is an Aldi or Lidl or Tesco local to get footfall back into the town although I cant see Aldi or Lidl wanting to go into the Creamery yard development as the site entrance is a complete bottleneck. They prefer out of town sites of which there are plenty going a begging
    Strongly agree we badly need sustainable jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

t63m wrote: »
    Trolling- Pathetic!
    How's it trolling?? It's my opinion of someone who went to school in the place from second class till the end of 6th year?

I don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a lover of the square myself, or for full disclosure, 'comer itself. I can't see the problem in developing the "fine 3 storey structure", its more or less useless at the moment and not at all attractive. In fact, the only use it has, as far as I can see, is somewhere to stick the Christmas decorations, currently its a run down eyesore.

One thing I do agree with OP about though is that its a shame that no-one has been able to make a go of Avalon house, I think 3 people have owned it since I lived in the area, and its failed every time. It looks very sad now, and would imagine its slipping fairly fast into disrepair inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I like the Square in Castlecomer, Especially the approach from Athy coming over the bridge. I particularly like the Catholic Church. There are lovely red houses on the opposite side closer to the square. The discovery park is a fine amenity and nicely and tastefully developed. So Comer has its merits. I believe it might be the second biggest town in the county. I concede that my opinions are that of someone who does not live there. I certainly believe the town could support a lidl/aldi. I'm not opposed to development or progress I just want to believe that these proposed developments are sustainable and I have my doubts.

Advertisement