Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying games on teh cheap - till May 3rd

Options
  • 21-04-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

I love you guys so, I should share here rather than just mention it in the chat.

You will need:
    1x Gamestop
    1x Other retailer dealing with secondhand games.
    2 tbsp fresh ground ginger

Method:
    1. Print this pdf http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/TradeIn600Titles.pdf at gas mark A4 for 15 minutes
    2. Buy the three cheapest titles you can find in your local flea pit
    3. Go to game stop and trade along with €3
    4. That's no moon

Serves 1- 4 players.

BB, MvC3, MK9 or just portal for €24 or lower (7 quid a pop + €3 if you were wondering)

I'll finally pick up Marvel hopefully by the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Thanks for the heads up, man!

I have 3 of these titles already in my collection that I don't care about anyway;

COD:MW
    FIFA 11 ( Freebie with the new xbox to keep the brother quiet... he now has his own gaff so I'll be trading this in, thank you )
    MvC3 ( The poor netcode killed this game for me )

Heh, I only intended on renting MK9, now I can easily afford to buy it! :D
    ( as long as its one of the selected titles, that is )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You assume I have ever bought titles which were not good enough to keep for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I'm saying you should go out of your way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sound lad. Cheap MK9 is definitely worth a bit of shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i have FARCRY2 and BLACKOPS
    both i brought to trade in today for MK9

but not sure if i have anything else
    LEFT FOR DEAD 2 is on the list but not the first one, KINDA RIP OFF
    but il check for other cheap old titles

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Seems like a great offer...however when GS normally run this offer, the "new titles" they refer to are usually 2-3 weeks old. I would be stunned if the likes of MK9 and Portal are on this list. It'll probably be the likes of MVC3, Bulletstorm and Mass Effect 2 (PS3).

I won't be able to drop into GS until this evening, but if anyone can confirm the games that can be bought using this deal, it'd be great to know!

A lot of games have passed me by recently and I have a ton of games on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Crapola, I forget to bring my games in to trade for MK.
    Are gamestops or Xtravision and the like open on good friday?

dont see why not, its not a bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Right, I'm just after being burned by this, so be careful : THAT LIST IS NOT UP TO DATE
    A newer list of 500 games was released last week. Most of the game listed above no longer count towards the offer.
    Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 are covered under the new list though, so you can still work the system - just not as easilly as I tried earlier.

GAME have a deal on at the moment for a bunch of pre-owned games. FarCry 2, SOCOM Confrontation and Namco Classics Museum cost a total of €23. Plus the €3 for the deal you can grab MK9 for €26 (and a free poster :pac:)

Since I was not aware of the updated list (and Gamestop's manager neglected to tell me about it earlier when I went in to confirm that some games were on it. Asshole.) I ended up still paying €50 for MK9, plus a stack of other random games I'll probably never play :pac:

Thanks for the heads up, Sai. I say its best checking with gamestop if the games I intend trading in are still good with this offer.

• Advertisement

Sairus wrote: »
    Right, I'm just after being burned by this, so be careful : THAT LIST IS NOT UP TO DATE
    A newer list of 500 games was released last week. Most of the game listed above no longer count towards the offer.
    Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 are covered under the new list though, so you can still work the system - just not as easilly as I tried earlier.

GAME have a deal on at the moment for a bunch of pre-owned games. FarCry 2, SOCOM Confrontation and Namco Classics Museum cost a total of €23. Plus the €3 for the deal you can grab MK9 for €26 (and a free poster :pac:)

Since I was not aware of the updated list (and Gamestop's manager neglected to tell me about it earlier when I went in to confirm that some games were on it. Asshole.) I ended up still paying €50 for MK9, plus a stack of other random games I'll probably never play :pac:

Unlucy Sai, they have a habit of doing that. I'll ceck to see if they have an updated list in store. There were too many games on that list that were too good to be true (Banjo Nuts n Bolts can be picked up for less than a tenner).

Portal 2 AND MK9 released on the same day....ugh.

Damn it..
    I just found Lips,Far cry 2 and Alan wake for total of 18 bob in Smiths at lunch:(

I can confirm that COD:MW, FIFA 11 and MvC3 are all still the list. I now own MK9 for only 3 euro! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Vanquish and star ocean you can get for like 10 euro in hmv, they are on the list. also every easy to find ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I still have to buy Vanquish, poor Platinum games can't seem to get a break.

Sairus wrote: »

That is not on, it explicitly says it runs to May 3rd. What a bunch of *****.
    We should go on liveline on monday. you'd get your money back sharpish

Here is the list "valid" until May 26th http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/Trade%20in%20500%20titles%20Euro.pdf

But after sairus's experience, be careful.

Sai you should write a letter of complaint for that.

Damn it..
    I just found Lips,Far cry 2 and Alan wake for total of 18 bob in Smiths at lunch:(

all them for €18? so if i got those, i can get MK9 for €3?

Don't think they are on the new list...
    I paid 50 quid for it in xtra vision and I feel violated

print off the old list, point out the date and demand it.

• Advertisement

I just went into the store and took a list. Went to hmv next door found 3 games on it for 8-9 euro grabed 3 copys and got mk for 33 euro which is better then the 49 euro price. did the same with portal so I'm all good:D

yeah the list you posted with the games seemed way to easy to get, so i went in and got the list they had to make sure.

I can confirm that COD:MW, FIFA 11 and MvC3 are all still the list. I now own MK9 for only 3 euro! :)

:eek: why would you trade in mvc3??

OK, from what I can see, the holy grail game on the current list is LOTR: Conquest on Xbox 360. I bought in xtravision for 5 euro so keep an eye out for that one.

Got 3 games for 25 and traded them in for Portal 2 (28 euro in total). Then found 3 old games at home and got MK.

Normally, these trade in deals are console specific-e.g. if you want a new PS3 game, the games you are trading against it also have to be PS3. For this deal, it doesn't appear to be the case. I traded in a PS3 game, a 360 game and a Wii game for MK on the 360.

Not shabby at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Can you trade in 3 of the same game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

bush wrote: »
    Can you trade in 3 of the same game?

Nah, says no multiples on the PDF.

what games did u get in hmv? FutureGuy

Placebo wrote: »
    what games did u get in hmv? FutureGuy

It was xtravision, bought LOTR:Conquest, Assassins Creed II and a PS3 game I cant remember lol (was 10 euro and on the list, so didn't really matter).

Xtravision sells 3 games it might not otherwise, Gamestop gets 3 games (which they will sell for great profit) and 3 euro for the cost price of a new title and I get a cheap game if I do a little donkey work for the 2 above retailers. Win, win, win. Fatality. Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

So what count as selected new titles I can't get through to gamestop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anyone know if they'll take games without an instruction manual?

• Advertisement

They're always selling them without...but i've no idea.

Advertisement