Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too old for GE medicine??

Options
  • 21-04-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Really tempted to sit gamsat within the next year. Trouble is I'm 31 now. Is it possible for me to compete with young undergrads?? Assuming I were to achieve sufficient gamsat score of course. :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

I wouldn't say 31 is old. There are definitely people in their 40s and 50s doing medicine, although they are the minority. The majority of GEM students are in their mid-late 20's with a good number into their 30's. I know someone starting this year who is 35 and on an open day in nottingham, I met lots of people who were late 20's and early 30's . Don't worry about your age :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

I'm 2nd year at UL and I'm 30 now, so there isn't a whole pile between us. I had the same concerns when I thought about starting but now it seems trivial compared to the 30 year (maybe more) career ahead of me. If you're thinking anything like I was you may be giving far too much consideration of what other people will think. Anyone who knew me thought I was crazy but they are all supportive now.

From my point of view it seems that there are 2 distinct groups in the class, those who are young enough to really engage in the whole college social life and stuff like that, and then those (typically the older students) who spend most of their time with their partners and families and so on. I'm happy enough to fit more with the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I'm nearly 33, just finishing 1st GEM and am certainly not the oldest, but would be in the older range. I posted nearly exactly the same question as you about 2 years ago on this board, and I have no regrets about going for it.

I don't think competing in college is an issue, that is more dependent on your background tbh. If you can get the GAMSAT you will be more than capable of studying Medicine.

I still wonder about competing post-qualification, but more in regards to long shifts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ericm84

MicraBoy wrote: »
    I still wonder about competing post-qualification, but more in regards to long shifts etc.

I've kind of wondered about this myself.....currently getting myself in gear to start Gamsat studying for next march (am 29 now but would be 31 at the earliest by the time i *hopefully* get in).

With the current lack of training posts here and the GEM being relatively new (i think first cohort are graduating this year??) i find myself concerned about what I could do post-graduation (I know I should concentrate on getting in first but at this stage of life I need a clear plan and that area of competing with younger students for training places is a concern)

MicraBoy - Do you have any idea what you want to do when you finish??? Are the other more "mature" GEM students concerned about this too??

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

ericm84 wrote: »
    Are the other more "mature" GEM students concerned about this too??

Sort of. By that I mean I am curious about where my career will take me but from what I'm reading on boards a lot these days, it will be easy enough to get a job, but getting one that I'd want (i.e. on a training scheme or something with some security) without leaving the country might be difficult. At least if the worst comes to the worst I should be able to get the med loan paid. I'm sure if I hang around long enough some training scheme somewhere will accept me for something, but I'm prepared to be content with the idea that I'm unlikely to ever be a consultant because that's so competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

ericm84 wrote: »

MicraBoy - Do you have any idea what you want to do when you finish??? Are the other more "mature" GEM students concerned about this too??

I don't really know yet. I was at a seminar recently which went through the career paths in several different specialties. There is a certain appeal to the fact GP is much shorter than the others (once you get on it that is). Given at this stage I have only had experience of GP placements I could see myself doing it, but there are so many other options yet to be explored.

Advertisement