Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alton Towers - Dublin to East Midlands

Options
  • 21-04-2011 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Me and my girlfriend are going to Alton Towers on the 7th June for 2 days. Flying from Dublin to East Midlands Airport in the afternoon. Same time again on the return.

After doing a (very) thorough search of the interweb and here, I've come to 2 conclusions.
    1: It's difficult to get to Alton Towers from this particular airport
    2: Nobody has a definitive answer on HOW to do it without driving.

So I'm asking this: Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it?

I've checked buses and the most useful one only travels once a day each way; before my flight lands in England and after it takes off back to Dublin. :(

I'm 21 so hiring a car is pretty much out of the question what with young driver fees and half the places not renting to me anyway. Something about deposits put me off too..

I've been looking around and short of a £57 taxi, I don't see how to get there and back affordably/less than 3 hours.

Sorry if this has actually been posted before, no searches turned it up. :confused:

Any help on this would definitely warrant a hug or 6.

Cheers!

Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You get a train from East Midlands Parkway and connect in Derby for Stoke-on-trent which is the nearest station to Alton Towers. The theme park is still a considerable distance from the station, in fact it's out in the middle of nowhere in open countryside.

There should be some kind of shuttle service from the train station especially as you are going in June which is high season more or less. The last time I went to Alton Towers there was a coach that met the train, but I remember it being a crazy long drive (a good half hour) before we reached the park itself so without a bus transfer you'd be looking at a steep taxi ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

There are (fairly regular) bus services from EM Airport to Derby, from where you can connect to Uttoxeter and pick up a bus service to Alton Towers from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Here
    http://www.altontowers.com/events/how-to-find-us/
    Is the info on the shuttle bus from soke-on-trent train station.

And Here
    http://stokestationtaxis.com/
    is info on a Stoke-on-Trent Taxi firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Here
    http://www.altontowers.com/events/how-to-find-us/
    Is the info on the shuttle bus from soke-on-trent train station.

And Here
    http://stokestationtaxis.com/
    is info on a Stoke-on-Trent Taxi firm.

Stoke is alright if you're coming from Manchester or Birmingham, but from the East Midlands direction, Uttoxeter is the nearest rail station.
    Taxis should probably be cheaper from there too (although I've never tried).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darthvanderjon

Hey guys,

Me and my girlfriend are going to Alton Towers on the 7th June for 2 days. Flying from Dublin to East Midlands Airport in the afternoon. Same time again on the return.

After doing a (very) thorough search of the interweb and here, I've come to 2 conclusions.
    1: It's difficult to get to Alton Towers from this particular airport
    2: Nobody has a definitive answer on HOW to do it without driving.

So I'm asking this: Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it?

I've checked buses and the most useful one only travels once a day each way; before my flight lands in England and after it takes off back to Dublin. :(

I'm 21 so hiring a car is pretty much out of the question what with young driver fees and half the places not renting to me anyway. Something about deposits put me off too..

I've been looking around and short of a £57 taxi, I don't see how to get there and back affordably/less than 3 hours.

Sorry if this has actually been posted before, no searches turned it up. :confused:

Any help on this would definitely warrant a hug or 6.

Cheers!

Conor
    There are plenty of trains originating from East Midlands. There are also buses and coaches avaible at pretty decent prices, so I'm sure you'll get something. You can check here for more details. All the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement