Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do culchies hate Dubs so much?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

bamboozle wrote: »
    funny to see since dublin qualified to play kerry in the all ireland final, i find my country friends are all supporting the dubs...what's seldom is wonderful!

we'll still lose tho!
    that is because sam needs a year in dublin, i cannot emagine people saying we the country folk do not like the dublin people, i have 2 family members living in dublin, i go there now and then, and anyway, i hear alot of dublin accents around where i live, also i have a few dublin neighbours, and they love us and we love them, what is this ****e of one disliking the other, but when it come to football, i am glad dublin and kerry are in the final, and looking forward to a great game, none of that standing in a circle around the ball, just having it out field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

charlemont wrote: »
    Its easy to understand how the country is the way it is by reading these types of threads. The recession has thought this bog island nothing.:rolleyes:

Including spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I like Dublin. Loads to do and see, great facilities and the people are friendly. Most people I know don't have any problem with Dubs. Loads of people in After Hours do however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

mattjack wrote: »
    this says a lot too..
    God, you're relentless. And yes, it says you can't take a joke on the internet. Anyway, I'm sure other people are as bored reading this as I am responding to it so you'll have to find a new sparring partner I'm afraid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Has anyone mentioned joy riding yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

wild_cat wrote: »
    Ah sure we all do that, im heading out for a spot of it right now... might even try and hit and run a small child while taking heroin and drinking dutch gold at the same time :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

wild_cat wrote: »

Yore ma's called Joy isn't she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm sure they don't all hate dub. There's bound to be a few of them that like Lee 'Scratch' Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Jess16 wrote: »
    God, you're relentless. And yes, it says you can't take a joke on the internet. Anyway, I'm sure other people are as bored reading this as I am responding to it so you'll have to find a new sparring partner I'm afraid :)

I love you Jess xxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Cork > Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It works both ways...stereotypes, nothing but stereotypes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Because you're completely ignorant to everything that goes on outside your little bubble called Dublin.

Such sileage, I and many dubs like me don't even live in Dublin, I'm not ignorant about the small rural town where I reside either, plus my dad lives in Galway so I'm up and down a lot, I think you sir are the ignorant one who lives in a wee bubble....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

We should trade Dublin to the Brits for the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thebman wrote: »
    I don't hate dubs but would say that many of them are quite ignorant of everything outside Dublin.

Most people from around the rest of the country travel the country a good bit and go to Dublin fairly regularly.

Dublin is about the only place in the country where you can run into someone that has never gone more than 20-30 miles from their front door. Such people are usually the most vocal on why Dublin is better than everywhere else and why would they want to go to a bog etc... Just ignorant generalisations.

I think the above is quite bizarre. I don't like those people very much as they are generally very hard to talk to and have a rational conversation.

This has to be the most shocking display of ignorance I have seen on boards. Thebman, you need to get away from the pc and learn a bit about your own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a Corkman I like Dublin.

Lived here past few years and have to say the people are really sound out.

But have noticed that in past 1-2 years an increase in the amount of scum walking around the streets or is it just me? Recession and all that

Oh and Dublin lacks a good chipper.

Otherwise Dublin is good place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I like Dublin people. But i find it very tedious when they start going on about culchies and not being from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Oh and Dublin lacks a good chipper.

Otherwise Dublin is good place.

Dublin lacks a good chipper? What about Cork? Granted the food is grand, but this sh!te of wrapping it up in paper bugs the hell out of me. There's plenty of dodgy chipper's in Dublin, but at least they give you your food in a bag

Otherwise, I liked Cork when I lived there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Born & reared here in Dublin into a big family.Love Dublin love Ireland.

Mothers parents from fermanagh have relations there,
    Brothers wife from mayo lots of good friends from there,
    Brothers wife from cavan lots of good friends from there,
    My daughter now lives in meath,
    Another daughter with Son in law from kildare who now live in laois,

Being to every county in Ireland you get some ignorent people everywhere,most are great craic and good fun,Cant relate to this thread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Dublin lacks a good chipper? What about Cork? Granted the food is grand, but this sh!te of wrapping it up in paper bugs the hell out of me. There's plenty of dodgy chipper's in Dublin, but at least they give you your food in a bag

Otherwise, I liked Cork when I lived there

Paper or not they still taste a whole pile better then the ****e in Dublin.

Otherwise the place is one best cities I ever been t and I have been to hell of lot.

Its not too big but at same time great atmosphere and always something to do, big plus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I have nothing against Dublin or the dub's :confused:

In fact nobody I know has anything against Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Speaking as someone who summers at the family estate in Queen's County and keeps rooms in Dublin. I can assure both parties in this argument that both Dublin and the countryside are equal. In fact the labourers at my estate are quite as common, vulgar and uncouth as the servants at my townhouse despite some considerable differences in their respective vernaculars. In my monocled eye neither the city nor the countryside are superior to one another.

Rgds,

Rt. Hon. Gordon Gecko Esq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I think this is a good thing and it should be actively encouraged. If we get the culchies to hate the dub even more, there will be less of them up here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

They probably do, but it's a nightmare trying to eat them walking down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To go back to the original question of the thread, one of the reasons is the way that a lot of Dubs refuse to even contemplate the existence of any city or urban area outside of the Pale; to them, someone living in the middle of Cork City is still a "culchie" or a "bogger".

That and the ridiculous phrase "Dublin and the Provinces" - last time I looked Dublin was in Leinster.

But the capital city basically does everything it can to distance itself from the rest of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

xflyer wrote: »
    As a Dub living in Galway, I come across this crap a lot. Not so much in Galway but elsewhere. Usually the the smaller and the more boring the town. The worse it is.

In fact the problem isn't that everyone hates Dublin but that everyone hates everyone else. All the counties hate the neighbouring county, or neighbouring town or the neighouring village etc etc. It's everything that's wrong with Ireland, tribalism. My town, my village, my parish, my road. This is a tiny country, we should take pride in being Irish.

For the information of those who hate Dublin, well I speak for most Dubliners. We don't care! Dublin is a big city too big to get misty eyed about it. Half the time it's because people from smaller towns can't cope with the crowds, the traffic and an anonyminity of it. Well that's your problem not ours. There's dozens of buses and trains out of the city every day, find one and go if you don't like it. And don't come back.

When I don't like a place I don't go back and I don't go on about it.

Best post in this thread.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Listen to Joe Duffy

Haha, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Otherwise the place is one best cities I ever been t and I have been to hell of lot.

Its not too big but at same time great atmosphere and always something to do, big plus

Get yourself to Burdocks in Christchurch. Their chips could go head to head with Lennox's any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Only an immense gob****e would have a problem with anyone based on where they live/are from.

Avoid and shun these tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I've only ever experienced the ****e between Dublin v's culchie here on AH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I've only ever experienced the ****e between Dublin v's culchie here on AH....

and the GAA forum, especially now that the dubs will win sam ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    To go back to the original question of the thread, one of the reasons is the way that a lot of Dubs refuse to even contemplate the existence of any city or urban area outside of the Pale; to them, someone living in the middle of Cork City is still a "culchie" or a "bogger".

That and the ridiculous phrase "Dublin and the Provinces" - last time I looked Dublin was in Leinster.

But the capital city basically does everything it can to distance itself from the rest of Ireland.

Have never once heard this phrase in Dublin or anywhere else, unless you read it on this thread.
    How does Dublin distance itself , in what way? I have lived in Cork and Galway and got no **** off the residents of either city, this debate seems to be confined to the Internets.
    Fact is most middle-ish class dubs have one or both parents from outside 'de Pale'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement