Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do culchies hate Dubs so much?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

13 years.

happy birthday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yis are always in such a rush....I've never seen people barge through so many people just to go into a shop two doors up.

Maybe it's the ****in awful accent.

Maybe it's the sheer amount of junkies that bug the **** out of me looking for money.

Maybe it's the fact that when you come on the piss outside of dublin ye revert to neanderthal levels of behaviour.

Loads of reasons tbh.

(all that being said my womans a dub through and through)

When culchies come to Dublin they don't revert to neanderthal levels of behaviour. All supremely sophisticated

http://www.culchiefestival.com/Images/press/Culchie-Festival013-l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

*Stretches* 'Time to get back to the rodent race'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

lastlaugh wrote: »
    If fairness I think a lot of country folk do have a chip on their shoulder.

Here's a Paddy's day story. I was in an Irish bar here in Toronto (ugh, Irish bars) with the GF and a few friends. Now, the GF wanted to wear something 'Irish' for the day so, having lived in Dublin for a year and loved it, she elected to wear one of my Dublin GAA jerseys. We get to the bar and lo and behold there's a bunch of drunken 'culchies' acting like idiots. (They had to be told by the bar manager to 'smarten up.') One of them goes to the bar, sees my girlfriend's jersey and starts giving her crap because, he believes, she's from Dublin. No other reason. She points out that she's actually Canadian, not Irish - he still complains about 'Dublin.' It was pathetic rat behaviour from a rat. I didn't say anything to him as he had a bit of booze on him and I had a feeling he could cause hassle but was annoyed at his behaviour; my GF, herself from a tiny farming community in rural Ontario understands the 'them and us' mentality well enough but like me, finds it disgusting, and was upset by this clown's behaviour.

Thankfully, not all people from the country are like him. I have quite a few friends from rural Ireland who live in Dublin and I'm glad to report that they actually like Dublin; they come to Dublin and go to university; they come to Dublin and they find careers; they come to Dublin and they meet new people; they come to Dublin and enjoy the vibrant social scene; they come to Dublin and enjoy the culture; they come to Dublin and start new lives.

Dublin isn't perfect, I know that but I get sick and tired of the constant complaining from a very vocal, and I don't like to say it, but large core of begrudgers and idiots. Do you think Dublin people like it that we have a problem with junkies? Do you think we like the fact that our city is over-populated and over-priced? Of course not. I'm a proud Dubliner and I'd like to see our problems fixed and our city cleaned up.

While I acknowledge that we aren't perfect, I certainly don't feel in any way inferior to others. I don't look at Dublin's problems and view Kerry with jealousy, or Galway or Kilkenny. I have no problem with any county / place in Ireland. I've been to Cork and enjoyed my time there - admired the cleanliness and quaintness of Cobh. I've been to Sligo and stood in awe at Ben Bulbin. I've had the craic in Meath - walked on the beach in Wexford. I'm comfortable with where I'm from - I love my city despite its problems and I've never felt a need to denigrate where others come from.

Dublin is as much yours as it is ours; it is not just our city - it is also your capital - a thousand-year-old city with a rich, proud history. It is likely that every person reading this thread knows somebody who either works or studies in Dublin. It is likely that everybody who is reading this thread knows somebody who has benefitted from their time in Dublin. Stop the begrudgery please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Here's a Paddy's day story. I was in an Irish bar here in Toronto (ugh, Irish bars) with the GF and a few friends. Now, the GF wanted to wear something 'Irish' for the day so, having lived in Dublin for a year and loved it, she elected to wear one of my Dublin GAA jerseys. We get to the bar and lo and behold there's a bunch of drunken 'culchies' acting like idiots. (They had to be told by the bar manager to 'smarten up.') One of them goes to the bar, sees my girlfriend's jersey and starts giving her crap because, he believes, she's from Dublin. No other reason. She points out that she's actually Canadian, not Irish - he still complains about 'Dublin.' It was pathetic rat behaviour from a rat. I didn't say anything to him as he had a bit of booze on him and I had a feeling he could cause hassle but was annoyed at his behaviour; my GF, herself from a tiny farming community in rural Ontario understands the 'them and us' mentality well enough but like me, finds it disgusting, and was upset by this clown's behaviour.

Thankfully, not all people from the country are like him. I have quite a few friends from rural Ireland who live in Dublin and I'm glad to report that they actually like Dublin; they come to Dublin and go to university; they come to Dublin and they find careers; they come to Dublin and they meet new people; they come to Dublin and enjoy the vibrant social scene; they come to Dublin and enjoy the culture; they come to Dublin and start new lives.

Dublin isn't perfect, I know that but I get sick and tired of the constant complaining from a very vocal, and I don't like to say it, but large core of begrudgers and idiots. Do you think Dublin people like it that we have a problem with junkies? Do you think we like the fact that our city is over-populated and over-priced? Of course not. I'm a proud Dubliner and I'd like to see our problems fixed and our city cleaned up.

While I acknowledge that we aren't perfect, I certainly don't feel in any way inferior to others. I don't look at Dublin's problems and view Kerry with jealousy, or Galway or Kilkenny. I have no problem with any county / place in Ireland. I've been to Cork and enjoyed my time there - admired the cleanliness and quaintness of Cobh. I've been to Sligo and stood in awe at Ben Bulbin. I've had the craic in Meath - walked on the beach in Wexford. I'm comfortable with where I'm from - I love my city despite its problems and I've never felt a need to denigrate where others come from.

Dublin is as much yours as it is ours; it is not just our city - it is also your capital - a thousand-year-old city with a rich, proud history. It is likely that every person reading this thread knows somebody who either works or studies in Dublin. It is likely that everybody who is reading this thread knows somebody who has benefitted from their time in Dublin. Stop the begrudgery please.

A dangerous man indeed.... ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭polly78

Paracore wrote: »
    A dangerous man indeed.... ha

Or just likes to turn a random bar moment into a big lecture on irish "culchies" behaviour abroad, it didn't make much sense to me eitherway.

polly78 wrote: »
    Or just likes to turn a random bar moment into a big lecture on irish "culchies" behaviour abroad, it didn't make much sense to me eitherway.

The encounter with the 'culchie' (I used the inverted commas because I don't normally use the word) was used as an example of the type of behaviour this thread is about - how 'culchies' don't like Dublin. I gave an account of one of the many direct experiences of this I've had.

The remaining paragraphs were about Dublin, and why this behaviour is clearly asinine. It's extremely easy to understand. You only have to make one tiny little step.

If needed, come back and I'll take you through it again if you're still having difficulty understanding why what I wrote makes sense. I hope this helps - have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

walked on the beach in Wexford.

Coming down here and taking over our amenities, that's what annoys me most of all about ye dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

danniemcq wrote: »
    Its not just Culchies that hate Dubs, Dubs hate Dubs too, infact most of the country hates Dubs.

yous are like a spoilt child that gets all the gifts you want (public transport, roads, concerts, sporting events etc etc) and when you parents lost their jobs and all the money you still manage to get more than all the other kids (counties)

FFS what do you want !!! tell ya what we will put in a luas and dart system in donegal for the 100 people that live in the place , lets put the country into more debt 2 please a small number or people
    dublin is the capital , has the most people , needs more infrastructure - if you want amenity's and public transport move to somewhere that has inhabitants ... its all about the numbers
    what capital city does not have the same ?

i have never treated someone from outside Dublin ANY differently that i would treat a dub - they are all Irish
    but
    i moved from Dublin down 2 the bog and i have come across a LARGE amount of clannish gossiping begrudgers ( the town im in anyway ) the " country folk " try sell themselves as happy go lucky sort of the earth
    but in reality its the same as Dublin - some are some are not

and last off , slagging the dub accent ??? come on lads have ya never listened 2 yourselves ?? i can understand German quicker than i can understand some Irish country accents

we are all Irish , gob****es and junkies are in ALL county's , Dublin just has more because more people live there - you boggers dont do maths well do ya ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Bitterness, ignorance and a lack of understanding of what happens in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Is this thread still going... Jesus wept.

Unfollow for me

The encounter with the 'culchie' (I used the inverted commas because I don't normally use the word) was used as an example of the type of behaviour this thread is about - how 'culchies' don't like Dublin. I gave an account of one of the many direct experiences of this I've had.

The remaining paragraphs were about Dublin, and why this behaviour is clearly asinine. It's extremely easy to understand. You only have to make one tiny little step.

If needed, come back and I'll take you through it again if you're still having difficulty understanding why what I wrote makes sense. I hope this helps - have a good one.

You don't need to come from Dublin to be confronted with embarrassing countryfolk. I've come across the behaviour you've described regularly abroad and I've also witnessed guys from Dublin being a huge embarrassment. I don't think your statement given it's length made any valid point, aside from the lets not pick on each other aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

dj jarvis wrote: »
    FFS what do you want !!! tell ya what we will put in a luas and dart system in donegal for the 100 people that live in the place ,

*snip*

you boggers dont do maths well do ya ?

Basic maths tells me that there's more people than that at my school. :rolleyes: This post is a shining example of why people hate Dubs, flaring up and losin the run of themselves over stupid bollix like this thread (which, btw is pure flamebait). Think before you speak man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Am I the only one who thinks that there is little animosity between neighbouring towns or parishes in Ireland? I grew up in a rural area and I never seen much of that type of nonsense.

You don't need to come from Dublin to be confronted with embarrassing countryfolk. I've come across the behaviour you've described regularly abroad and I've also witnessed guys from Dublin being a huge embarrassment. I don't think your statement given it's length made any valid point, aside from the lets not pick on each other aspect.

Of course you have. But this thread is called 'Why do culchies hate Dubs so much?' So while I don't doubt the veracity of what you're saying - it doesn't in any way negate what I said in my first post. If the original thread was 'why does it rain in Galway all the time' and I said 'I was in Galway once and it rained' your response, according to how you've responded so far would be 'it rains in other places; you don't have a point.'

Put very, very simply, my post was a direct, anecdotal example of what the original poster was referring to; I was sharing my experience with the group, so to speak. It was relevant. I think at this point if you're having any more difficulty understanding what I'm saying you should probably consult a parent or a teacher. I understand you're trying and I think you're pretty cool for that. Take care of yourself.

Basic maths tells me that there's more people than that at my school. :rolleyes: This post is a shining example of why people hate Dubs, flaring up and losin the run of themselves over stupid bollix like this thread (which, btw is pure flamebait). Think before you speak man.

LOL :D the 100 was a " funny point " , sorry ya did not get it , but im guessing most will
    how was i flaring up ? i was answering one of you fellow county men's verbal ****es , and yes this thread is bollix but are you not reading and answering it ??

and while your "ignoring this ****e " please answer the original question put by you mensa member fellow county man
    why the **** should you county that has **** all people in it have the same public transport as dublin ??? we have it so you want it ???
    grow up.
    and for future ref buddy i was not speaking i was typing , so think before ya type ya plank

and if you had read my post i was pointing out that gob****es and **** are from all county's - well thanks for clearing that one up for the rest of us

dj jarvis wrote: »
    LOL :D the 100 was a " funny point " , sorry ya did not get it , but im guessing most will
    how was i flaring up ? i was answering one of you fellow county men's verbal ****es , and yes this thread is bollix but are you not reading and answering it ??

and while your "ignoring this ****e " please answer the original question put by you mensa member fellow county man
    why the **** should you county that has **** all people in it have the same public transport as dublin ??? we have it so you want it ???
    grow up.
    and for future ref buddy i was not speaking i was typing , so think before ya type ya plank

and if you had read my post i was pointing out that gob****es and **** are from all county's - well thanks for clearing that one up for the rest of us

Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Just before the election I was talking to my Father in law who's a dub about who we thought would get elected in certain counties and when we were discussing Wexford he said "see the important thing about Wexford is that a lot of Dubs live there!"

Are you ok?

im perfectly fine thank you , go back and read the post i was originally answering , then read my original post - you shall see that i was actually
    pointing out that country dwellers and dubs dont hate each other - its just gob****es that hate each other , they just happen 2 live in different parts of our glorious land

the trick is read it , then read it again if you dont understand
    please highlight any point you dont understand and ill gladly explain it for you

the guy i was answering was talking crap about Dublin " getting everything " , i was pointing out that if lots of people live in one spot then they need more infrastructure than places that dont , this guy did not get this simple fact

but im sure you understood this because you read the original post - didn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Am I the only one who thinks that there is little animosity between neighbouring towns or parishes in Ireland? I grew up in a rural area and I never seen much of that type of nonsense.

You're probably from one of the "weaker counties" where GAA doesn't matter much at all

Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You're probably from one of the "weaker counties" where GAA doesn't matter much at all

Am I correct?

I'm from Mayo. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

I don't give much credence to the rural v Dublin thing.

I find that Ireland is a country where people identify with their county a lot.

It doesn't matter where your from on this island 'a group of lads' will think of something to slag ya off with,
    Limerick, stab city
    Cavan, tight arse
    Kerry, eejit
    Dublin, dickheads
    Cork, pretensions bores
    Offaly, biffo

So everybody from outside those counties is gonna slag those who come from there, sorry the list isn't more exhaustive, I'm sure every county is slagged for something, add them yerselves!, but I hope ye get what I'm saying, namely, people from outside Dublin don't hate Dublin people exclusively, just like Dubliners don't hate people who are from outside Dublin, but we will all slag each others county relentlessly,

I think it has something to do with the gaa championships...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Meh, I think when ye refer to people not from Dublin as Culchies/Boggers/Muck Savages etc you're not gonna get the best reception off people in fairness.

I'm from Galway and I love Dublin, I wouldn't like to live there full time however, just not my thing, but I love comming up to meet friends working in Dublin, weekends with the bird etc.

I love Dublin people too, some of the funniest, wittiest people I've met. Met a load of dick heads from there too, but sure every county has those! I just feel great in the fact that I could act like that too but choose not to.

The only thing I hate about Dublin is that it does have a very serious Begging/Homeless people on the streets problem, I've never come across it as bad in a lot of other bigger cities around the world, and I would regard myself as being well travelled. It is very off putting, when your from Dublin, you are probably just used to it but when your not, it's very off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Most people are bastards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Every single one of them and there always has been. We're just a territorial people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Aaah! Was wondering how long it would take for a thread like this to start.
    Where did the idea that anyone who lives outside 'The Metropolitan' ****hole, just rides their cousin's, sheep, etc.etc. come from in the first place? Well apart from people in 'Cark boy' obviously. We know there worse than any nike tracksuit wearng, heroin injecting, car robbing little bolox, and that fcuking accent, fcuk sake!
    'AAWW RITE DAR BUD'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jimpump wrote: »
    nearly all my relatives and mates from down the country seem to hate everything about Dublin and its people!

not sure why, some say its an inferiority comlex....

but i just cant understand the reason why, can any country folk explain?

Phrases like "down the country" probably don't help, especially if they're meant to include the half of the country that's further north.

Then there's the fact that - I'm assuming - you're using "culchies" to include the other cities in the state, like Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Kilkenny, etc.....

And speaking of factually-incorrect inclusivity, "Dublin and the provinces" is another pet hate of mine, considering Dublin is in Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Obviously any culchie in Dublin would probably be a graduate. The people who are junkies, coke heads, dirtying the place, shooting up on the boardwalks, talking in howya accents, are all Dubliners.

That might be a bit unfair - to lump all Dubliners in the same boat - but its human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

All roads lead to Dublin.......that is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement