Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road race shoes

• 21-04-2011 7:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a light shoe for races up to 10k, I wear nimbus 12 training and racing at the moment...not to expensive..any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Joe, I'm also a Nimbus addict but for shorter races I started using Asics DS racer last year & now have a pair of Asics Hyper Speed. Much lighter than the Nimbus but far less cushioning. However, I ran the Dublin half in flats last September & suffered for days afterwards. If you invest, do try them in a few training runs before you race. I got the first pair for €40 in a bargain store in the Square(Tallaght) but paid €100 for the latter in the past few weeks. You will run faster but the magic carpet Nimbus won't ever make your soles sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Thanks AJ, I would be interested in the DS, I will search the web and see what I can find..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A couple of options for a neutral runner to consider (which is indicated by your Nimbus) would be:

Saucony Type A4
    Brooks T7
    Mizuno Ronin
    ASICS Hyper speed or Piranha

A more supportive shoe for over pronators (think ASICS GT2160 / Mizuno Inspire etc) would be:

ASICS DS Racer
    Brooks ST5
    Saucony Fastwitch 5

The Mizuno Musha while technically not classed as supportive can give some support to mild over pronators and is great for longer distances.

Another option is the minimal shoe category Brooks Green silence, Saucony Kinvara & Mirage.

Ensure that you do train in your race day shoe to allow the body to adapt to the lower level of structure and the reduced heel height which can put more strain on the lower leg muscles & ligaments.

Hope that helps

A couple of options for a neutral runner to consider (which is indicated by your Nimbus) would be:

Saucony Type A4
    Brooks T7
    Mizuno Ronin
    ASICS Hyper speed or Piranha

A more supportive shoe for over pronators (think ASICS GT2160 / Mizuno Inspire etc) would be:

ASICS DS Racer
    Brooks ST5
    Saucony Fastwitch 5

The Mizuno Musha while technically not classed as supportive can give some support to mild over pronators and is great for longer distances.

Another option is the minimal shoe category Brooks Green silence, Saucony Kinvara & Mirage.

Ensure that you do train in your race day shoe to allow the body to adapt to the lower level of structure and the reduced heel height which can put more strain on the lower leg muscles & ligaments.

Hope that helps

Thanks AK,

What is the price range for the 4 neutral options size 8 ?

As I am directly linked to a shop and don't want to upset anyone:

A rough guide would be €70 - €90 for most racing flats.

• Advertisement

As I am directly linked to a shop and don't want to upset anyone:

A rough guide would be €70 - €90 for most racing flats.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The Brook Green Silence are 70 euros. The Mizuno Ronin are 90

sauncony kinvara are very light but cushioned. coming from nimbus it will feel like you are running on air. good option for not going to flats but still going lightweigth. will also help you to go towards midfoot / forefoot running.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've never worn anything lighter than whatever my current pair of training shoes were at the time, well apart from spikes but they don't count once caked in mud. But think it's about time I invested in a pair of lighter shoes. Last couple of years I've been in the Mizuno Wave Inspire which I was perfectly happy with, but not too keen on the latest version 7 I got which just seems a lot heavier. Maybe I'm noticing the weight more these days.

Will head along to my local shop this weekend I think and see what of those models AKW mentioned above they have in.

robinph wrote: »
    Mizuno Wave Inspire

robinph, similar to you I've used the Inspire since series 3 through to 7 (skipped 6) and have recently gone into the Brooks ST5 for faster training & racing 10k to half.

Nice and light, similar heel height to Inspire and as a result I have had no issues with the change over. Both are working nicely and allow me to interchange with no issues. But that's me, they may not work as well for you so give them a test.

I am aiming for the Mizuno Musha which has a lower heel and this is fine for me over 5k but I wont risk the calf loading on longer distances, yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After a 5 mile race a few weeks back one of the other guys, who is waaay faster, handed me one of his shoes and I was surprised by how light it felt. I've just gone on a bit of a Googling though and am now surprised by how little difference the weight specs actually seems to be between the various shoes.

Mizuno Wave Inspire - 250g
    Mizuno Wave Musha - 230g
    Asics DS Racer - 219g

Now the weight obviously counts fare more against you as it is on a moving part of your body, but the difference in the weight of the shoes I'd easily be carrying in the form of gels in my shorts pockets. Not sure what model of shoe I was actually handed, but that I could so easily sense the difference of only 20g in something weighing over 200g surprised me.

Been checking the websites of a couple of the local stores and they have disappointingly rubbish sites to be able to tell what models they might have. Have a voucher I've to spend in one of them though so I'd best just head out shopping.

Mizuno Wave Inspire - 250g
    Mizuno Wave Musha - 230g

don't think that's right - wave inspire is over 11 ounces, musha about 8 - that's about 80g difference.

Ahh, seems that the Wave Inspire page on the Mizuno site I was looking at defaulted to listing the wimins version which is 250g.

The blokes version is listed at 320g.

That now makes a whole lot more sense.

Ahh, seems that the Wave Inspire page on the Mizuno site I was looking at defaulted to listing the wimins version which is 250g.

The blokes version is listed at 320g.

That now makes a whole lot more sense.

quoted weights for mens runners are usually size us 9 or 9.5 (8 or 8.5 here). so if you wear a different size it will be different. they usually use 7 (6) or something like that for the wimmens...

glasso wrote: »
    quoted weights for mens runners are usually size us 9 or 9.5 (8 or 8.5 here). so if you wear a different size it will be different. they usually use 7 (6) or something like that for the wimmens...

Mizuno use UK 8 for Men and UK 5 for Women

Went and picked up a pair of shoes today.

I tried on some very lightweight Nike, can't remember the model but the arch on them was not very comfortable at all for me, they were neutral apparently. They then tried me in a couple of different Adidas models, one pair being neutral and the other with some support. I ended up going for the adizero ace which was neutral rather than the one with support, again I can't remember what the other model was.

Could have done with the shops being open yesterday as then I'd have used them in the 5k parkrun this morning. Will probably give them their first test run next Saturday now.

Gave the new lightweight shoes a run out tonight in a 5km race, got within 8 seconds of my PB. Not sure how much of that I can directly put down to the shoes, but it did feel good in new shoes and the legs seemed to feel lighter and a bit less effort into each step.

How much of it is in the head though I couldn't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Gave the new lightweight shoes a run out tonight in a 5km race, got within 8 seconds of my PB. Not sure how much of that I can directly put down to the shoes, but it did feel good in new shoes and the legs seemed to feel lighter and a bit less effort into each step.

All in the head -or the famous Placebo. Great band too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Doesn't matter if it's in your head or not, if it makes you faster, then it's worth it, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Seems perfectly logical, lighter shoes make you faster & certainly over 5k. With the longer distances, I think, the feet can suffer with less cushioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

amphibking (or anyone ) any reccomendations on good shoes for someone that wears on the outside of the sole . supinator ?
    just to have a few to pick from, not neccesarily specific race shoes as i probably dont do enough to justify 2 seperate pairs

woody1, generally any of the higher cushioned neutral shoes will work for a supinator. Especially those with crash gel cushioning on the other edge of the shoe which allow your foot to work with the impact.

Mid line flexibility in the sole will also help the shoe to flex to your foot form, easing the contact pressure on the foot joints.

Wear is not always an indicator of the gait. I'm an over pronator but scrub the front outer edge of my shoes, so just be aware of that possibility too.

You could look at the Saucony Triumph, ASICS Nimbus, New Balance 1080 or Brooks Dyad as possibilities, if you are supinating / neutral. As always get help & try on a few pairs before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

thanks for that
    at least theres a few to pick from
    as for wearing on the outside , i dont so much wear as completely remove the sole on that side, i have boots and shoes with almost all the heel gone on the outside
    but il probably get checked out again just out of curiousity , to see if theres a difference from the last place

Advertisement