Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Waterford By Train

• 21-04-2011 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am looking for a best way to go to Waterford crystal visitor center from Cork. According the website it will open this weekend (24/04/11). I prefer to rent a car but my son ask me if we can go by train there. As far as I know there is no direct train from Cork-Waterford. We must go Cork-Dublin-Waterford instead.

Are there any alternative for example I take train from cork to nearest station then continue with bus. Any recommendation are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You can get the train from Cork to Limerick Junction, and meet a connection from there to Waterford, though I'm not sure how often they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cork to Limerick Junction then on to Waterford I suppose but getting the train doesn't make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭masadjie

Fajitas! wrote: »
    You can get the train from Cork to Limerick Junction, and meet a connection from there to Waterford, though I'm not sure how often they are!

Thank Fajitas, (I like your nickname :) ) When I tried to look at irishrail website with Cork-waterford entry, it gave me this route Cork-Dublin-Waterford. that doen not make sense. Are you sure there is a train from limerick junction to waterford? sorry to ask this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Yeah there is , its a little green and blue train, quite cute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the prob with the Limerick Junction - Waterford train is that it does not run on a Sunday (24/04) which explains how come you'll end up going to Dublin.

But hang on, why not the Cork to Waterford express bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you haven't been before its a very scenic drive. You'll pass the coast and mountains once over the border into Waterford , so I'd reconsider the car.
    masadjie wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am looking for a best way to go to Waterford crystal visitor center from Cork. According the website it will open this weekend (24/04/11). I prefer to rent a car but my son ask me if we can go by train there. As far as I know there is no direct train from Cork-Waterford. We must go Cork-Dublin-Waterford instead.

Are there any alternative for example I take train from cork to nearest station then continue with bus. Any recommendation are welcome.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I think thetake the bus its a no brainer or rent the car. Could talk forever about how its a disgrace that no train links our two cities!!! on the weekdays there is an hourly train to limerick junction from cork then a trian at 3 o clock to waterford on weekdays excluding public hols....

so the you would leave cork at 13.30 arrive at Limerick Junction at 14.30 hangin around and leave limerick at 3 and arrive in waterford at 16.40..... also they may not charge you direct, you may have to buy 2 journeys....

Its gonna be expensive and you'll treble the usual journey time....... plus irish rail travel ain't the best unfortunatly and CIE aren't the nicest people to deal with :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The worst thing they done was closing the Waterford to Dungarvan Railway, im sure if it reopened it would do well and then extend the line to Midleton as that line is reopened into Cork City.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. apparently I choose to rent a car since the time table for the train is not good for me. The bus is not our option this time :).

Btw, Where is the exact location of the visitor center? I read in the website is says The Mall, Waterford City. I know it is easy to find when I get there, but if anybody can point the exact location in Google map it will very useful for me so I can put it in my GPS.

Also are there any other point of interest nearby? Maybe park, playground for children.. etc..

regards

It's across from the Theatre Royal, on Google Maps its only showing what the place was before it was turned into the Crystal.
    There is a playground in the Peoples Park, not too far away the place.

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    It's across from the Theatre Royal, on Google Maps its only showing what the place was before it was turned into the Crystal.
    There is a playground in the Peoples Park, not too far away the place.

Ok. so this is the place based on your information. http://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=212519692319897454985.000494c8d64b4dfce2140&ll=52.259615,-7.1061&spn=0.002252,0.005681&z=18

If you look on Google maps, the building with the blue boarding in front of it, thats the crystal place now.

Although the weather is not so good I managed to bring my son to the visitor center last weekend. Finally I rent a car which is cheap I think (50 euros for 3 days). In my opinion the new visitor center is much smaller than the old one. I went in the old center in 2009 it was quiet big.

I like also the People Park. So many alternatives for both of my sons (10 and 5) to play with. It much bigger and better than park in Cork city.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You could always get the bus as far as Kilmacthomas which is on the route and about 20 mins outside Waterford, and hop on the Waterford Suir Valley railway which is another tourist activity on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

The WSVR doesnt go to Kilmac. It starts in Kilmeaden alright which is only 9 Miles or less outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

you also might want to fly to Luton and then fly into Waterford Regional Airport....lovely little airport....and grab a taxi to the visitors centre...that could take less time than the train to Dub and back down, and think of the nice frequest flyer miles to can earn on Aer Aarann!

Go away out of it FFS and rent a car and be there in an hour!

I agree. Rent a car is the best choice.

Advertisement