Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you realised God didn't exist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sandwlch wrote: »
    You may understand it as you wish. But to engage in sane discussion you kinda need to understand it as the rest of the world does:

prog·ress (prgrs, -rs, prgrs) n.
    1. Movement, as toward a goal; advance.
    2. Development or growth: students who show progress.
    3. Steady improvement, as of a society or civilization: a believer in human progress. See Synonyms at development.
    4. A ceremonial journey made by a sovereign through his or her realm.

Movement, as toward a goal - Exactly what I was arguing a few minutes ago. Progress presupposes a goal. What is the goal?

Development or growth - What is the standard of development or growth?

Steady improvement? - How do we determine what improves upon what is already present?

What makes you think that most people in the world understand progress as you do?

You need to examine them some more. Several months is nothing for this stuff. For what its worth I don't think you are even aware of many of your assumptions.

This is tripe. I see no reason for you to say this other than that my beliefs are in disagreement with yours :pac:

Let's deal with what's obvious. You think I should examine my Christianity because you believe it is false, I believe that you should examine your atheism because it is false at least as I would see it, not only this because your decision may well have consequences that will determine your eternal destiny.

We know what we already think about each others views. To have a viable and a remotely interesting discussion we need to simply acknowledge these assumptions and move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jakkass wrote: »
    This is tripe. I see no reason for you to say this other than that my beliefs are in disagreement with yours :pac:

Let's deal with what's obvious. You think I should examine my Christianity because you believe it is false, I believe that you should examine your atheism because it is false at least as I would see it, not only this because your decision may well have consequences that will determine your eternal destiny.

We know what we already think about each others views. To have a viable and a remotely interesting discussion we need to simply acknowledge these assumptions and move forward.

Did I say I was an atheist ? Again another assumption.

Did I say I was an atheist ? Again another assumption.

In that post I didn't mention atheism. I merely said that your beliefs clearly disagree with mine. I'm happy to tolerate that personally. We can both continue our lives with the understanding that we think that the other is mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

In that post I didn't mention atheism. I merely said that your beliefs clearly disagree with mine. I'm happy to tolerate that personally. We can both continue our lives with the understanding that we think that the other is mistaken?

"your atheism" isn't mentioning atheism?

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »

His tactic of debate has degraded down to ignoring the most valid points that contradict his beliefs and pick on smaller insignificant comments.

Mark200 wrote: »

My bad, I concede this one :) Apologies opinion guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

123balltv wrote: »
    I hate the church in Ireland I can go to any Catholic church in Spain,Italy, France etc now they're all Catholic Countries but their churches are so different not as stuffy as our's

The catholic church in every country is the same. They care about one thing: money. If they can do good in a country while making money, they will but the primary focus is profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I was very young, about six maybe. I never let on until I was eleven or so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Let me ask you another question: What is the ultimate goal for humanity? This question will make you think about what progress is. I personally believe the ultimate goal of mankind is to treat ones neighbour as beyond onesself, to strive to know more about Creation and to apply this knowledge to it, and to enter into a meaningful relationship with the Creator. So yes if nations truly believed in these things, and if nations committed themselves to all these things then this would produce the best nation / civilisation that has been ever known to man. The only problem is that I don't believe that this will be achieved on earth, but yet we must strive towards a better society. That's the challenge for us.

I don't see any reason to believe there is any particular ultimate goal. The future is whatever we decide it will be.

This only presumes that we don't deserve to be punished for disobeying God. Once that piece is in the puzzle things start to look a little different. Personally I recognise that I actually deserve to go to hell, but God has forgiven me and I am thankful for this and for His continued providence in my life.

I don't deserve to be punished eternally for anything I may do during the course of my relatively short life.

• Advertisement

I don't see any reason to believe there is any particular ultimate goal. The future is whatever we decide it will be.

This presupposes the idea that humans can actually determine what the future is. There are many factors that humans have absolutely no control over. Dare I say that the ability of mankind to impose a stamp on the future is severely limited.
    I don't deserve to be punished eternally for anything I may do during the course of my relatively short life.

Of course, this point follows from the first. If you don't believe that there is an ultimate purpose given to us by God to fulfill you will obviously not believe that God has the right to punish people for not living as He has decreed in His world. It is a recognition that this world isn't ours and that we are only here for a time that changes a lot I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Birroc wrote: »
    The catholic church in every country is the same. They care about one thing: money. If they can do good in a country while making money, they will but theprimary focus is profit.

I thought it was all about pedophilia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I thought it was all about pedophilia?
    No that's just want they do during their lunch breaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Lets not turn atheism into another form of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

doomed wrote: »

HEATHEN!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seriously? No really, are you 14, maybe 15? That's precisely the kind of logic found in mid adolescence. It really is. Banal teenage rebellion 101.

You haven't actually addressed the argument. People assume things all the time that aren't provable and that may differ from other people's opinions. To be offended by an assumption is just ridiculous.

I'd actually argue that offence of any kind is a mild form of insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

My bad, I concede this one :) Apologies opinion guy.

No worries. Lol - see what I mean about the assumptions ?:D

doomed wrote: »

Too late. Dawkins done that already

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You haven't actually addressed the argument. People assume things all the time that aren't provable and that may differ from other people's opinions. To be offended by an assumption is just ridiculous.

You're a mild form of insanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What god are you referring to op? I stopped believing doctrine a long time ago but I remain open to the idea of a higher power of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

This presupposes the idea that humans can actually determine what the future is. There are many factors that humans have absolutely no control over. Dare I say that the ability of mankind to impose a stamp on the future is severely limited.

Indeed we could be hit by an asteroid a witness another mass extinction event but there is a difference between accepting that some things are beyond our control and accepting an ultimate goal for our species. In the first case, we are accepting that we don't know what could happen; in the second, we are accepting that only one thing can.

Of course, this point follows from the first. If you don't believe that there is an ultimate purpose given to us by God to fulfill you will obviously not believe that God has the right to punish people for not living as He has decreed in His world. It is a recognition that this world isn't ours and that we are only here for a time that changes a lot I suspect.

First of all, I don't believe that accepting that God has a plan for us means accepting any punishment he sees fit to carry out. I may have the ability to punish my children by spanking them but this doesn't mean that I have to.

Secondly, it is not just the punishment that's the problem: it's the cruelty of it. I can't accept the notion that anything I do in my short life can be bad enough to deserve being paid back with infinite interest, for an infinite period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

k_mac wrote: »
    What god are you referring to op? I stopped believing doctrine a long time ago but I remain open to the idea of a higher power of some sort.

Whichever one you believed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Go for it, i need a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

To all you atheists out there.... QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

For me there was never a moment where it dawned on me. I just always dismissed it as fairytales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was about 15 or 16, I was debating with someone about why belief is rational and went online to read essays for and against belief. The against essays were far more convincing and the more I looked into I started agreeing with the arguments. It all happened within an hour or two I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Pardon me if I do believe that God does exist.

Judging just how wrong ye got the existence of the Celtic Tiger, it is not surprising that ye'd get God wrong too.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

About 11-12ish. I always had my doubts though. I respect the right of others to believe though, unlike some Atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

FISMA wrote: »
    Pardon me if I do believe that God does exist.

Judging just how wrong ye got the existence of the Celtic Tiger, it is not surprising that ye'd get God wrong too.
    :eek:

I notice you've put pretty much the exact same comment on two separate threads about God on this forum. The Celtic Tiger and the concept of God are not really comparable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I notice you've put pretty much the exact same comment on two separate threads about God on this forum. The Celtic Tiger and the concept of God are not really comparable..

I am questioning the wisdom of people that sell land and homes to each other with cheap money granted from abroad and believe that there is something inherent in value going on which is sustainable over generations.

If banking and finances were gotten so wrong, what hope have you in analyzing the supernatural?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

FISMA wrote: »
    If banking and finances were gotten so wrong, what hope have you in analyzing the supernatural?
    There are so many things wrong with this I might just poo myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement