Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you realised God didn't exist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What is laughable about the OP is this assumption that there is no God and the OP knows it and wants to brag about how 'clever' he/she is to have discovered the 'truth' at such a young age.

:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was also admiring the assumptions being made by the OP. The simple answer is despite our opinions on the matter, no one can know for sure until we are dead. So we'll either rot - or not, until then we can just speculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was also admiring the assumptions being made by the OP. The simple answer is despite our opinions on the matter, no one can know for sure until we are dead. So we'll either rot - or not, until then we can just speculate.
    And we cant even take bets ....shame .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I know god exists and as this is afterhours...

I know santa clause exists...That way i get what i want.

I know the tooth fairy exists because i get a euro for every tooth

I know the easter bunny is comming. I call my moth the easter bunny.

i always found it sad that priests etc felt that above the need to preach they needed to convince people that god existed. If you truly believe in god you will know why he exists.

however i find it even sadder that those who claim to know the truth ie that god does not exist feel the need to berate those who believe.

Its kinda like the pot calling the kettle black dont you think?

i have no problem with allah, jahova, hindu, buddah etc i dont think they have any problems with me.

So my question is... Why does someone of no faith see my faith as a problem to them?

Its just something that has me curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

SeaFields wrote: »
    I despise those graveyards as well. There is one by my girlfriends house where there isn't even headstones. Just a plate sized stone flat on the ground. Each stone represents the resting place of a child and there are hundreds of them. I believe for a period of time there wasnt allowed be a funeral/service/blessing either. The father alone of the child had to bury them after dark. Some backward teaching by the church.

Yes and the sad thing is Jesus would not have stood for this kind of exclusion. This kind of carry on was invented by some half cut maniac in the middle ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Latchy wrote: »
    And we cant even take bets ....shame .

Well, you can, it's just that cashing in is going to be tricky...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Well, you can, it's just that cashing in is going to be tricky...
    With no SP all bets are void ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Buceph wrote: »
    Tie the original idea about Earth having the perfect circumstances for life, which is an incredibly rare thing,

In a universe as vast as it is this is an incorrect assumption so your argument falls flat on it's face here - but I'll persist.
    to the fact that we have yet to discover any evidence of other intelligent life and it gets to a point where it's pretty reasonable to believe that there's no other intelligent life out there.

You're copying the original mistake. You are using evidence of 'intelligent' life to try to make an argument that other intelligent life doesn't exist. You are using logic and ration against itself.

The method you are using to make your argument is highly contradictory. Also, define 'intelligent' (I save you some time - you can't). Maybe aliens are 'intelligent' enough to not interfere?
    If you take how long we've existed, and how quickly our technology has advanced and predictions for the advancement of future technology. Apply that to the length of time the universe has existed of which a function would be the likelihood of another intelligent being existing during that time, developing (to a point we can't imagine) and travelling the stars.

It has yet to be proven that 'intelligence' adds to survivability. Great 'intelligent' civilisations in our own past have come and gone - why not 'out there' too.

If we passed into a cosmic dust cloud before radio signals were broadcast then there would be little evidence of our existance to be dectected.

The rest of your post is moot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Highly unlikely i would say?
    If this creator force exists, what created it and so on? Everything has to, by definition, come from nothing - if the universe was created -where did the creator live before hand? Who or what created that place? It goes on infinitely.
    So? Infinity and finity are constructs of this universe. Other realities outside this universe may exist. Infinite ones. Even finite ones like our own. It's out there but one could imagine that intelligent life is a given in a universe, because that's how universes come to be the way they are. That intelligent life becomes so advanced that they can create baby universes "in the lab" that are born from singularities in other realities. Or one could take the pantheist notion that the universe itself is "god". It gives birth to itself and there is a "plan" and consciousness built into it. That all the information needed to build the universe including everything that will ever happen and has ever happened was contained in that infinitesimally small and dense information bubble that was the big bang singularity. Well time didn't exist before the big bang and if one could stand outside the universe and outside of time you would see all that was is and will be in one "instant".
    You're actually trying to use the scientific fact that there is life on a planet in the universe to surmise that there may not be life on other planets..
    Until we find evidence of life outside of this planet then we are dealing with an example of one. This is a fact. We can suppose that as it has arisen once it's more likely it has arisen elsewhere, that the odds are in it's favour, but we simply can't be sure. Odds yes, evidence no. Just because it's more likely doesn't mean it is basically. Personallly I think it is out there, but probably rarer than we think.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

No burden lies with me.

I realized I was wrong when I was 9. My realization happened whether there was proof or not.

how?

No proof is required really though, just a bit of common sense. It's quite obvious to objective people with basic reasoning abiltiy that it is ridiculous to believe in a God.

so, 9 year olds are objective,with sound reasoning ability?
    Of course I can't prove there isn't a God, but at 9 I realized how ridiculous and astronomically unlikely a God was to exist.

Bahahahahahhahahahhaha!!!!
    I can't prove that I won't win next weeks lottery, but given the odds and the fact I never buy a ticket I think it would be a bit nonsensical to believe I will win the lottery.

So believing in something you have control over (by choosing to buy a ticket) is comparable to believing in God...how exactly?
    So I realize that believing I will win the lottery is wrong semantics aside.

thats provable---> you don't buy a ticket , ergo, you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

...and you can come to the conclusion that if there ever was intelligent life out there, they would have in some way broadcast their existence long before we came about, so we should now be able to read it, and because we can't it's unlikely they ever existed.

Given that the light from the furthest galaxy from us would take just less than three times the age of the Earth itself to reach us, signals from any older alien race might just not have reached us yet. Sure, it's possible there is intelligent life out there but I won't say there definitely is. I'm also not going to fill the gaps with a deity (the Pollyfilla argument) and even though I was an alter boy and did the whole religion thing back when I was a kid, I don't think I ever really believed in any of it - I just never gave it any significance and not much thought. When I started reading the bible and other books just for curiosity though, that's when I realised it was all just another societal way of control as opposed to anything genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ucdmike

What price will you offer me on the OP still going to mass on Sunday morning with Mammy and Daddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't really remember a time when I ever did. Religion and God weren't really a big deal in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Oh yipee, lets all read the God Delusion again

Tie the original idea about Earth having the perfect circumstances for life, which is an incredibly rare thing, to the fact that we have yet to discover any evidence of other intelligent life and it gets to a point where it's pretty reasonable to believe that there's no other intelligent life out there.

If you take how long we've existed, and how quickly our technology has advanced and predictions for the advancement of future technology. Apply that to the length of time the universe has existed of which a function would be the likelihood of another intelligent being existing during that time, developing (to a point we can't imagine) and travelling the stars. Especially if you take the consideration that one of the first things we did as a species was colonise, and now we're reaching to space, and we generally tend to make ourselves known and generally search for life. So maybe aliens wouldn't directly travel the universe with aliens on ships, but they probably would make themselves known, like pumping out a signal across the galaxies. Then realise that we've had the technology to read quite a few transmissions (forces, radiation, that kind of thing) and you can come to the conclusion that if there ever was intelligent life out there, they would have in some way broadcast their existence long before we came about, so we should now be able to read it, and because we can't it's unlikely they ever existed.

yeah but your basing your theories on Humans creations ie signals,concept of time, concept of communication,travel,physics etc... , it'd be like sending a fax to a log cabin in the Amazon....unless conditions on both ends are favourable...we'll never know..

also Time in itself is measured in human quantitys, same with size, what if all we knew, our universe, was but a blade of grass in something elses back garden?..

ucdmike wrote: »
    What price will you offer me on the OP still going to mass on Sunday morning with Mammy and Daddy?
    Hmmm....Evens

pssst ...You'll get odds of 1/50 in William Hills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

How the fcuk does anyone with even the slightest level of intelligence believe in God and all that bollix??!!:confused:

I agree it's a nice fairytale or fable or whatever, but come on..no more likely to exist than the Easter Bunny.

And to say that it's possible to say he exists simply because it can't be proven he didn't...well can't that be said about any superhuman being...and if so, why not make up a cooler character than some old grey haired guy with a beard...although the God in Family Guy is pretty cool to be fair..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c9xjodL1Gk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Oh, no he doesn't....

Oh, yes he does....

For 50 pages, /thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Wibbs wrote: »
    Odds yes, evidence no.

Evidence - yes. We are it. Life can develop on planets - we have an example - 'The Earth'.

I was pointing out the contradictory nature of your original response.

We can argue all day about the number of 'intelligent' life forms which may have developed or died out (I think someone has made an equation for earth like bodies) but that would be like arguing about shades of gray.

Which takes us full circle to my original point - we can't use the scientific method to make an argument that gods, fairys, leprechauns, moomins cannot be disproved because the method itself is used to prove the nature of reality - not to disprove some imaginary thing people have made up.

If we could detect gods they would cease to be gods - they would become detectable entities and have to conform to scientific parameters of what is real.

I'm out.

'' He's behind youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

thebullkf wrote: »
    how?

so, 9 year olds are objective,with sound reasoning ability?

Bahahahahahhahahahhaha!!!!

So believing in something you have control over (by choosing to buy a ticket) is comparable to believing in God...how exactly?

thats provable---> you don't buy a ticket , ergo, you can't win.

Someone could buy a ticket for me. I can't prove I won't win the lottery, but basic reasoning and common sense has value, not just proof, common sense has been correct for every lottery draw of my life so far, so I'll use it in other situations too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

15 or 16 I suppose although I'd been agnostic for a long time before that.

Someone could buy a ticket for me. I can't prove I won't win the lottery, but basic reasoning and common sense has value, not just proof, common sense has been correct for every lottery draw of my life so far, so I'll use it in other situations too.

how quaint . reply to the only tongue-in cheek bit of my post, whilst ignoring the others....

for that reason : i'm out .;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

how quaint . reply to the only tongue-in cheek bit of my post, whilst ignoring the others....

for that reason : i'm out .;)

See ya later, come back when you can handle my quaintness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Will gladly give you odds of 5-1

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

yeah but your basing your theories on Humans creations ie signals,concept of time, concept of communication,travel,physics etc... , it'd be like sending a fax to a log cabin in the Amazon....unless conditions on both ends are favourable...we'll never know..

also Time in itself is measured in human quantitys, same with size, what if all we knew, our universe, was but a blade of grass in something elses back garden?..

It's not my theory, it's someone else theory, and it's just a thought exercise in thought. Also, the ideas are based on maths and phsyics which are fundamentally true (given a certain value of true.)

It's not meant to prove that there is or isn't life out there, it's just way of looking at the current facts.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Will gladly give you odds of 5-1
    I'll take it ...as long as I get to keep his after mass hymm booklet as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

When Fr. X called me his special friend, age 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

jog on

Alwight Danny .. what's the story me old mucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Come to think of it, I was -9 months old when it occured. Until then, I thought that God gave us life, but it turned out it was just my parents getting naked and having sex. The next 9 months dragged on as I couldn't wait to get away from these disgusting naked 'old' people.
    I had a very difficult pre-birth period.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

When Fr. X called me his special friend, age 6
    Any relation to Malcolm?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement