Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you realised God didn't exist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was born not believing in God then everybody lied to me so I'm not counting myself as ever being a believer.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Alot of hate for OP here, if you believe in God then thats fine but Op is just saying he/she doesn't, btw the burden of proof is on those saying God exists; thats like saying 'can you prove invisable unicorns don't exist?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    scanlas i dont think the posters on this thread appreciate your obvious superiority and many related talents. wot you should do is get down on your knees and thank God that you dont have to mix with these cretins on a day-to-day basis.
    by the way, God is love. God is real. God is here.save yourself years of trying to quieten those voices at the back of your head telling you that God loves you. spare your future companions the boredom of hearing you once again droning on about the idiocy of believers.trust in Him and try to treat everybody you meet with kindness and respect, even, or especially if, they are being unkind and disrespectful to you. accept that you are no better or worse than anybody else. actually, try this for a week and see how it feels. good luck. God bless.;)
    In turn, you try not being snide and condescending? How is god real and here by the way?
    Alot of hate for OP here, if you believe in God then thats fine but Op is just saying he/she doesn't, btw the burden of proof is on those saying God exists; thats like saying 'can you prove invisable unicorns don't exist?'
    Yeah but the OP just stated "god doesn't exist" as if that's a fact. The OP may not believe in god but that doesn't make it definite god doesn't exist (I don't believe either but being absolutist and saying god definitely doesn't exist just because I don't believe, even if I think the idea is implausible, would be arrogant).

The burden of proof is on either "side" and neither has it, so it's best just to believe or not believe in what you believe or don't believe, and leave everyone else do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What age were you when you realised God didn't exist

No age, because I never though it did exist.

First time I heard the name was in Primary School when our teacher spent time each day reading one story a day from the Bible. I was always a heavy reader even from a young age... so this to me was "story time"... so I just listened to it as such.

I think I was around 11-12 when it suddenly hit me "Hang on... people BELIEVE this stuff???". I am as gob smacked today as I was then that people were and are taken in.

The same teacher also gave me the Hobbit to read. Had he told me people thought THAT was real I would have been no less or more gobsmacked. There appears to be very little reason to lend credence to one and not the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Dudess wrote: »
    In turn, you try not being snide and condescending? How is god real and here by the way?

Yeah but the OP just stated "god doesn't exist" as if that's a fact. The OP may not believe in god but that doesn't make it definite god doesn't exist (I don't believe either but being absolutist and saying god definitely doesn't exist just because I don't believe, even if I think the idea is implausible, would be arrogant).

The burden of proof is on either "side" and neither has it, so it's best just to believe or not believe in what you believe or don't believe, and leave everyone else do the same.

I don't think it's arrogant to say God doesn't exist, just like it isn't arrogant to say I'm not going to win next weeks lotto isn't arrogant. It's based on reasonable logic. For all practical purposes the two statements above are fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Either God is everything or there is no God.

If God is, God is. If God isn't, God isn't.

Your beliefs do not determine what is and isn't.

-Ron Smothermon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Buceph wrote: »
    There's a good thread on dealing with Psychosis in here somewhere.

you would diagnose advocating being kind and considerate to others as a case of psychosis?!?

i can see how my post might of appeared snide , but not condescending. you have no problem with the fact that God is love, just with him being here, and real. well hes here and hes real, your just not looking hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Richard Dawkins Generic Store Brand Cola

Athiesm debates are like soooooo 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Athiesm debates are like soooooo 2006!

Your name sounds like one of those "quirky" and "hip" indie bands.

I listen to The Richard Dawkin's Generic Store Brand Colas...........you've probably never heard of them.

• Advertisement

you would diagnose advocating being kind and considerate to others as a case of psychosis?!?
    That poster was referring to the "voices in your head" part.
    you have no problem with the fact that God is love
    I believe in love yes, but I don't believe love equates to god - I do believe people are entitled to interpret things as that though.
    just with him being here, and real. well hes here and hes real, your just not looking hard enough.
    You believe he's real and here - your prerogative - but that doesn't mean it's true. But believe, just don't tell others who don't share your belief that they're definitely wrong.
    And by the same token, I have a myriad of reasons for not believing, but I won't force those on believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ops defo a loser

mod:banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

i can see how my post might of appeared snide , but not condescending. you have no problem with the fact that God is love, just with him being here, and real. well hes here and hes real, your just not looking hard enough.

Where should we look, just wondering for the laugh!!

Yeah but the OP just stated "god doesn't exist" as if that's a fact.
    Well I think we can say without much doubt that God, as described by faiths like Christianity and Islam isn't real. Their God is too human to be God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think many of us will have seen through the bull**** religious lessons at school ( did we have any choice ?) and went along with it but thought that God (as a person ) would be a rational logical being as opposed to this mysterious one who's son performed miracles beyond human understanding or comprehension .

It might be easier for real atheists to sit comfortable with the notion of no God then somebody who believes .The former is under no illusions were as the latter has expectations .

But neither atheists or believer has the upper hand simply because neither knows the answer =simple

God... wrote: »
    Where should we look, just wondering for the laugh!!
    Science is the only way to God (if you do exist). If there is a God the only thing we can say for certain is he created everything, so the only way to understand him is to study his work.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Science is the only way to God (if you do exist). If there is a God the only thing we can say for certain is he created everything, so the only way to understand him is to study his work.

Why is he so secretive and not want to be known?

That poster was referring to the "voices in your head" part.

I believe in love yes, but I don't believe love equates to god - I do believe people are entitled to interpret things as that though.

You believe he's real and here - your prerogative - but that doesn't mean it's true. But believe, just don't tell others who don't share your belief that they're definitely wrong.
    And by the same token, I have a myriad of reasons for not believing, but I won't force those on believers.
    you dont believe that you have a conscience?those voices in your head , that whisper telling you that its not right to be cruel or unkind or put yourself first, thats your conscience. some people decide not to listen, and spend years and years trying to drown it out. this makes them very unhappy.
    of course i believe that people are entitled to interpret love however they wish. every day i thank god that i live in a country were we are free to interpret thing as we wish, up to a point.
    i dont think im forcing my beliefs on anyone. were all just anonymous posters sitting at computers. i didnt start this thread.neither did i start a thread implying that people who dont believe in god are somehow inferior and to be scoffed and scorned.

Why is he so secretive and not want to be known?
    In science he's not secretive at all. It's all in your face, just look out the window.

In science he's not secretive at all. It's all in your face, just look out the window.

Yea... but there's no scientific proof that's God's work or there is a God so that's bull****.

• Advertisement

you dont believe that you have a conscience?
    Where did I say I don't? Just because I don't believe in god, the dude who created the universe, doesn't mean I don't believe I've a conscience. I can't see how there could be a connection between the two, but you do - and that's cool, it's your personal interpretation.
    those voices in your head , that whisper telling you that its not right to be cruel or unkind or put yourself first, thats your conscience. some people decide not to listen, and spend years and years trying to drown it out. this makes them very unhappy.
    I'm sure, but you don't have to believe in god to acknowledge your conscience - unless you think these are one and the same thing. But not everyone would share that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

you dont believe that you have a conscience?those voices in your head , that whisper telling you that its not right to be cruel or unkind or put yourself first, thats your conscience. some people decide not to listen, and spend years and years trying to drown it out. this makes them very unhappy.

Very naive view imo. There are plenty of dickheads out there who aren't unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Move to Atheism please.

Yea... but there's no scientific proof that's God's work or there is a God so that's bull****.
    That's why I said if. But the bottom line is that science is the only way to find out one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

of course i believe that people are entitled to interpret love however they wish. every day i thank god that i live in a country were we are free to interpret thing as we wish, up to a point.
    i dont think im forcing my beliefs on anyone. were all just anonymous posters sitting at computers. i didnt start this thread.neither did i start a thread implying that people who dont believe in god are somehow inferior and to be scoffed and scorned.

No but you are implying that the impetus to live a moral life comes from a higher being - it is quite insulting to be told that we have no desire to live good decent lives by ourselves - that it is a man in the sky telling us to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No proof is required really though, just a bit of common sense. It's quite obvious to objective people with basic reasoning abiltiy that it is ridiculous to believe in a God.
    The typical smugness.

All Theists lack common sense, lack objectivity and lack basic reasoning ability.

"Not arrogant" indeed.
    Of course I can't prove there isn't a God, but at 9 I realized how ridiculous and astronomically unlikely a God was to exist.
    Mathematically speaking, the probability of God existing is 0.5. Objectively speaking, it is equally likely that God may exist as it is that God may not exist. It is people's personal convictions which determine to them whether or not God exists. Personally I am certain in the existence of God and you are free to think otherwise so long as you accept that your opinion does not fact make.
    Well I think we can say without much doubt that God, as described by faiths like Christianity and Islam isn't real. Their God is too human to be God.
    Who is "we"? Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

The typical smugness.

All Theists lack common sense, lack objectivity and lack basic reasoning ability.

"

somebody who doesn't agree with you is smug

Nobody said the above

i have to go out. very interesting funny thread. hope your still at it when i come back.:):)

every day i thank god that i live in a country were we are free to interpret thing as we wish, up to a point.

Why (in your opinion) did God make some born into poverty and others ok and so on?

In my opinion it's extremely arrogant to think if there is a God he selected you personally to be ok and others born into poverty, war torn countries etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Sweet Jesus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement