Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you realised God didn't exist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mrsbyrne, how is it funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Why do people have to be so **** towards others beliefs?

Not all religious people force their beliefs on others the same way the majority of atheists I come across don't force their feeling on religion on me.

People are such hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No proof is required really though, just a bit of common sense. It's quite obvious to objective people with basic reasoning abiltiy that it is ridiculous to believe in a God.

optogirl wrote: »
    somebody who doesn't agree with you is smug

Nobody said the above
    Did you even read the section of his post that I quoted or are you just trying to make it out that i'm an overly sensitive lunatic?

God... wrote: »
    Why (in your opinion) did God make some born into poverty and others ok and so on?
    ....others born into poverty, war torn countries etc.
    Humans created this huge imbalance and this conflict.
    God... wrote: »
    The ones (in my opinion) that weren't brainwashed.
    Indeed.

If that is so, then (in my opinion) all atheists are brainwashed by the media and by Richard Dawkins.

Oh wait a second, I can't say that. It's only allowed the other way around. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Humans created this huge imbalance and this conflict.

Indeed.

If that is so, then (in my opinion) all atheists are brainwashed by the media and by Richard Dawkins.

Oh wait a second, I can't say that. It's only allowed the other way around. :rolleyes:

This is simply not true- it can be and is said both ways all the time. I'm not sure whey Richard Dawkins is always held up by people who believe in god as some kind of cult leader - he's probably one of the most famous and vocal atheists but he is not a brain washer - by no stretch of the imagination. The same cannot be said for organised religions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In what way? I would
    In that atheists believe or are convinced of something for which there is no proof. They have faith in mans drastically limited understanding of science and the universe. Atheists sit in smug judgement of believers while I as an agnostic see little destination between an atheists and those American Christian sects who allow snakes to bite them and go into convulsions in order to please god.

In that atheists believe or are convinced of something for which there is no proof. They have faith in mans drastically limited understanding of science and the universe. Atheists sit in smug judgement of believers while I as an agnostic see little destination between an atheists and those American Christian sects who allow snakes to bite them and go into convulsions in order to please god.

again the old 'smug' adjective to describe millions of people. What is smug about not believing something for which there is zero proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"atheists"? Be more specific there, suicide_circus. And much of what you say could be applied to some believers. Both are insufferable. Yeah I agree it's really lazy the way Dawkins is always, always wheeled out.

This is simply not true
    I contend that supposed Religious brainwashing is not true either.

I went to a Roman Catholic school. I was supposedly "brainwashed". Yet here I am today having only seen the inside of a RC Church twice in my life.

What's even more amazing is that most of Boards.ie here was "brainwashed" by the Roman Catholic church as well. I really have to hand it to the Roman Catholic church. Their brainwashing looks to have worked excellently judging by the constant vicious criticism being lashed out at them all day here on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No but you are implying that the impetus to live a moral life comes from a higher being - it is quite insulting to be told that we have no desire to live good decent lives by ourselves - that it is a man in the sky telling us to do it
    I'm always amazed when I come across people who don't allow for individuals thinking for themselves about what is and is not relevant in their lives , like they themself's haven't allowed for any other option , which fit's into the above criteria . Those people are more bonkers than scary

• Advertisement

again the old 'smug' adjective to describe millions of people. What is smug about not believing something for which there is zero proof?
    Don't strawman.

The "smugness" is not attributed to people for not believing in God. It is attributed to them for posting things that insinuate that people who do believe in God are lacking in mental ability in some way or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I can only base my opinion on the people i've met.
    Listen there is no point in arguing this. You 'know' there is no god, believers 'know' there is one and I know that I dont know either way.
    "the only thing I know is that I know nothing" - socrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or one could take the pantheist notion that the universe itself is "god". It gives birth to itself and there is a "plan" and consciousness built into it. That all the information needed to build the universe including everything that will ever happen and has ever happened was contained in that infinitesimally small and dense information bubble that was the big bang singularity.

I was just reading a quantum mechanics paper, before logging in, which postulated that mathematics exists outside our apprehension of it, that information itself is the building block of the universe, as opposed to atoms and quarks, and that the perceivable, material universe is merely a manifestation of that seemingly unsubstantial information.

And then I got to thinking, well, where did that all primal information come from then?

Mind-bending stuff, quantum mechanics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Why do people have to be so **** towards others beliefs?

Not all religious people force their beliefs on others the same way the majority of atheists I come across don't force their feeling on religion on me.

People are such hypocrites.

I don't see why it's wrong to ridicule beliefs, just so long as you don't ridicule the person with the beliefs, but I occasionally do when I'm feeling naughty.

I contend that supposed Religious brainwashing is not true either.

I went to a Roman Catholic school. I was supposedly "brainwashed". Yet here I am today having only seen the inside of a RC Church twice in my life.

What's even more amazing is that most of Boards.ie here was "brainwashed" by the Roman Catholic church as well. I really have to hand it to the Roman Catholic church. Their brainwashing looks to have worked excellently judging by the constant vicious criticism being lashed out at them all day here on boards...

But most atheists come to the realisation by themselves - they are not told to be a certain way and they don't attend weekly meetings, schools & ceremonies which reinforce this idea.

I'm not sure what your point about the RCC brainwashing it's criticisers is...if you mean that the running of the organisation has helped to move people away from it and look at them with disgust and derision then, yep, you are probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sweet Jesus

Hey, you do believe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

why does the op feel the need to know?
    These religious threads are pathetic way of annoying people.

But most atheists come to the realisation by themselves
    Really? They aren't influenced at all by others? The media, let's say? I'm not saying that all Atheists are influenced by the media but to say that Atheists make their decisions "by themselves" without any outside influence is a bit disingenuous.
    I'm not sure what your point about the RCC brainwashing it's criticisers is...if you mean that the running of the organisation has helped to move people away from it and look at them with disgust and derision then, yep, you are probably right.
    I'm saying that the supposed "brainwashing" that everyone talks about is a moot point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

drdeadlift wrote: »

I don't feel the need to know, I couldn't care less either way. I just happen to know God ( the magical person in the sky who made everything) doesn't exist as much as I know superman doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Really? They aren't influenced at all by others? The media, let's say? I'm not saying that all Atheists are influenced by the media but to say that Atheists make their decisions "by themselves" without any outside influence is a bit disingenuous.

... as opposed to religious people whose beliefs are entirely original.

I came to that conclusion by myself. Growing up in 1980s Ireland, the only atheist I knew of was Dave Allen.

• Advertisement

I'm saying that the supposed "brainwashing" that everyone talks about is a moot point.

The media in this country had absolutely no influence on my atheism. And even believers have to concede that there is an element of brainwashing in organised religion - chanting and ritual and rules about who is going to heaven and who isn't? It's all a bit creepy to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I always thought this was funny...

I would walk out of confession and think, "Yay! I'm sin free! If I die now I'm going straight to heaven."
    Then immediately after that I'd think, "Damn pride! I guess I'm going straight to hell."

Fair play God. You trolled me good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Use of the terms 'brainwashing' and 'indoctrination' are alwats guarunteed to cause disagreement.

But if you would like to consider how the average atheist (or even agnostic) feels about such issues, consider your reaction if, tomorrow, 90% ish of Irish schools were run by Scientologists or had a Scientology ethos and if, tomorrow, our politicians, judges and others were obliged to take oaths to L Ron Hubbard.

I don't feel the need to know, I couldn't care less either way. I just happen to know God ( the magical person in the sky who made everything) doesn't exist as much as I know superman doesn't exist.
    You couldn't care less but you started a thread like this? Perhaps I may be wrong but surely not caring about something is not compatible with making a thread like this.
    ... as opposed to religious people whose beliefs are entirely original.
    As opposed to atheists whose beliefs are entirely original. There are only two possibilities, there is a God or there is not a God. It's an age-old debate, there is no originality to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

As opposed to atheists whose beliefs are entirely original. There are only two possibilities, there is a God or there is not a God. It's an age-old debate, there is no originality to be had.
    Nope; there is the third way favoured by most atheists (in my experience). Im quite surprised that you hadnt heard of this third option....:confused:

3. We have no idea whether there is a God but as there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest he does exists, lets act on the basis that he does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I agree that this thread should be moved the the Groundhog day Atheists threads but no need to pick which one ,they are all the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

drdeadlift wrote: »

What an absurd thing to say! What's wrong with posing such a question?

Perhaps some people never believed in God, maybe some stopped believing in childhood, in adulthood or whilst tripping their nuts off on mushrooms?

If he or she had posed the question on a Legion of Mary or an Ayatollah Khomeini appreciation thread, then you might have a point.

Read the title of the thread again and ask yourself - Does this thread apply to theists? Is he or she addressing theists? If you're having trouble answering that, I'll give you a hand - No, it's clearly addressed to atheists!

I don't like rap music, but I don't feel the need to go on to a Hip Hop thread saying they are starting threads to annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Rambling nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well I think we can say without much doubt that God, as described by faiths like Christianity and Islam isn't real. Their God is too human to be God.
    Oh yea the oul faiths of Abraham have a very human god alright. an egotistical vaguely psychotically human to boot. The Jewish god is killing people all over the place, the Christian God is a little less vicious, but is still happy to have people writhing in agonies for eternity for not kow towing to him, the Islamic god is described as compassionate yet a huge chunk of the writings are about fear and all that primitive crap.
    Hookah wrote: »
    I was just reading a quantum mechanics paper, before logging in, which postulated that mathematics exists outside our apprehension of it, that information itself is the building block of the universe, as opposed to atoms and quarks, and that the perceivable, material universe is merely a manifestation of that seemingly unsubstantial information.

And then I got to thinking, well, where did that all primal information come from then?

Mind-bending stuff, quantum mechanics.
    Yea that it is. It can be a bit of a magnet for the new age BS though. "The Secret" being a classic example.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Move this thread!

too many threads get closed / moved on here. Why isnt this?
    Just a thread about someone forcing their views onto people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement