Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you realised God didn't exist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

You completely took my quote out of context and only quoted the first half of it. Excellent cherry picking there!

Accusing atheists of being externally influenced (which I've no doubt some are) whilst the overwhelming majority of people in this country are raised in the same religion as their family (not too much choice there!) and attend schools run by religious orders is a remarkably feeble statement to make. When people start actually choosing their religion after studying all faiths or philosphies, then come back to me.

The point about this argument is to make the "atheist" some kind of genius for fighting the system. Nonsense, you are part of the system ( TV etc.) which makes fun of Christianity all the time. If Roman Catholic schools were so successful they would have made you a RCC bigot - but they are not madrassas, they teach the curriculum and teach science as they have always done ( even in the middle ages). In fact there was more mathematics and science in medieval universities.

There are no original thinkers in modern atheism. Hitchens may be a smart guy but parroting hitchens isnt. Neither is parroting Dawkins.

In any case there are plenty of stupid beliefs hanging around: freudianism, marxism, astrology, homeopathy, some kinds of feminism which deny any differences, most psychology. And more.

The smartest man of the 20th century was Richard Feynman - Einstein had the greater discovery but it in terms of general breadth it's Feynman by a mile. He wasnt anti-religion, nor were scientists in the 50's ( a more scientific age, in fact). He did hate psychology though.

The point about this is that it is not enough to be an atheist. This doesnt prove your intellectual ability, not in 2011 - particularly when most of the attacks on religion are group think anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are you 9 now? :confused:

No. But thanks for repeating the same "joke" from page one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Like the majority of catholics I follow a certain trend.

0 - finishing the confirmation money count: Believe.
    Money lodged into a junior saver account - 65: Dont believe*
    65- Death: Take the gamble and pray just incase. Repent daily.

* Obviously believe a little when its lashing rain and throwing a little prayer out there (God/Spongebob/Allah) to make the bus come faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

optogirl wrote: »
    No but you are implying that the impetus to live a moral life comes from a higher being - it is quite insulting to be told that we have no desire to live good decent lives by ourselves - that it is a man in the sky telling us to do it
    and im not to find it insulting that you accuse me of believing in a "man in the Sky"? implying that i am an infantile simpleton? you choose to ignore the fact that some of the most brilliant minds of our time and any other are practising catholics and not afraid to show it. or are they all infantile simpletons too, optogirl?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

how dare you say the god does not exist !!!
    hes sitting on my ****ing couch hogging the remote and picking his nose,
    but hes got the dope so swings and roundabouts

and for the record he is NOT always right - i got a higher score on who wants 2 be a millionaire than he did - now hes pissed - watch out japan :eek:

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Mrsbyrne, how is it funny?
    some of the slightly off-topic posts are very funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

What I would like to know is how many people left there faith for whatever reason but when they realised there mistake the have now returned to the faith of our fathers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    and im not to find it insulting that you accuse me of believing in a "man in the Sky"? implying that i am an infantile simpleton? you choose to ignore the fact that some of the most brilliant minds of our time and any other are practising catholics and not afraid to show it. or are they all infantile simpletons too, optogirl?

oh how i laughed :D

so do you just ignore the MORE brilliant minds and non practicing people ,
    sorry but your on a big loser with that argument

and as a interesting side note - dropping out of ALL structured religion in the western world is outpacing people joining - and tbh most people joining are 3 months old and have no choice - but then they must all be wrong also ??

RayM wrote: »
    Cretins? How very Christian of you.

I'm not sure how old I was when I stopped believing in god. Apart from the usual school rituals (of which I have nothing but good memories) and having to go to mass every week until I was around 12, religion was never really rammed down my throat. Because of that, it never really occurred to me to 'rebel' against it, or even to give the (now very obvious) non-existence of a deity an awful lot of thought.
    my attempts at sarcasm fail drastically tonite. i genuinely meant to imply that the op viewed any one believing in god, or at least not agreeing with him, as cretins. i was trying to be funny by introducing a mention of god. sorry. id forgotten that there can be no humour, or attempts at humour, when discussing the existance of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Congrats OP! :D When was that, 3 or 4 years ago? ya precocious little thing ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Have to laugh at this STUPID thread hahahhahahahahahahahaahha:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm proud to say I was 9 about 1 or 2 years after I realised santa didn't exist.

As if everyone in AH is an atheist? :pac:

I realised God did exist and indeed does exist when I was 17. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I find much more comfort reading about science and astronomy than I do reading about a petty and jealous 'creator'.

RichieC wrote: »
    I find much more comfort reading about science and astronomy than I do reading about a petty and jealous 'creator'.

Or for some of us seeing what the Creator has done through science! :)

Jakkass wrote: »
    Or for some of us seeing what the Creator has done through science! :)

Amazing work for a deity with bronze age scientific knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

My 5 year old turned to me the other day and said "I don't believe in God, Jesus, Santy or the Easter bunny"

I never suggested to him the Easter Bunny was real and we don't really have an Easter bunny tradition here in Ireland so why people feel the need to say to kids oh is the easter bunny coming to you is just confusing for them..........Off topic but it's been annoying me for the last few days!

Amazing work for a deity with bronze age scientific knowledge.

I take it you haven't heard of the concept of omniscience, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm proud to say I was 9 about 1 or 2 years after I realised santa didn't exist.

I'll tell you of an occasion I hoped he existed, because I asked for his help.

1988 in a UN base above a village named Haris in South Lebanon.

The Hezbollah started to launch rockets into Israel from behind our camp (Tech Town), Israel retaliated and started to bomb the crap out of us.

It was my first day in Lebanon, didn't know where the bunker was so I crawled under an Armoured Personnel Carrier for cover and stayed there.

I've heard it said since "There are no atheists in a fox hole", I tend to agree.

I take it you haven't heard of the concept of omniscience, no?

Yes of course.

It's a total fking cop out and horsesh*t.

Not as absurd as suggesting that a God who is claimed to have existed eternally suddenly has an bronze age mindset. Why do I bother? :pac:

It doesn't really even matter if the Bible was written during the bronze age if it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

You didn't "realise" God doesn't exist. You stopped believing.

I stopped believing in God at about age nine or ten. A few years later I started to believe there was a higher power. I'm neither proud or ashamed of either of these things. It's just something I believe.

Anyone that's proud of not believing in something is really desperate for something to have pride in.

Not as absurd as suggesting that a God who is claimed to have existed eternally suddenly has an bronze age mindset. Why do I bother? :pac:

It doesn't really even matter if the Bible was written during the bronze age if it is true.

The people who wrote the bible had a bronze age mindset, it stands to reason that their made up god would too. Surely god would have told us about bacteria to help prevent years and years of needless suffering...

I've had this back and forth with you already, and realise you're quite good at twisting arcane passages to suit your needs, so I'm sure you'll have a passage there somewhere to cover your ass. :rolleyes:

The people who wrote the bible had a bronze age mindset, it stands to reason that their made up god would too. Surely god would have told us about bacteria to help prevent years and years of needless suffering...

Yawn. This is just awful reasoning. The Bible doesn't claim to be a science book. I don't open Immanuel Kant to figure out how to upgrade the RAM in my computer either.
    I've had this back and forth with you already, and realise you're quite good at twisting arcane passages to suit your needs, so I'm sure you'll have a passage there somewhere to cover your ass. :rolleyes:

I haven't twisted anything. I don't leave my brain behind when I aim to read something that I want to guide my entire life.

I just don't think there is any good basis for being an atheist. God's existence has a profound importance in my life, so yes I will defend it to the teeth when people try to rubbish it without basis more often than not. Hopefully with the kind of respect I'd hope to receive from others.

What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

'course, by that time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

I ****ing hate people!!!

RayM wrote: »
    the (now very obvious) non-existence of a deity an awful lot of thought.

I honestly don't get how it is so "obvious" that God doesn't exist. Would you like to explain how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

God... wrote: »
    I ****ing hate people!!!

Me too, brother. Maybe we should form a cult of misanthropy? There are some(few) genuine exceptions to this rule though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I agree there are plenty of smug atheists - I certainly don't wave around my atheism, and people who say stuff like "Atheist and proud" are just embarrassing - but it seems like it's getting to the point where you only have to be an atheist alone to be derided as smug and self congratulatory. I wouldn't get too worried about believers of late - there are droves upon droves to defend them.
    major bill wrote: »
    some people look down at others that have faith but its the atheists i feel sorry for..must be horrible to think thats there nothing there atall and id love to have the same faith as some people have!!!.
    What was that about looking down on people? I don't need your pity as I am happy with the notion that there's nothing there, and no, I don't envy the faith of some people. I love how you feel you've carte blanche to say something as patronising as that - I can only imagine the uproar if someone said they felt sorry for you for being, in their opinion, deluded.
    What I would like to know is how many people left there faith for whatever reason but when they realised there mistake started to believe again and have now returned to the faith of our fathers
    I realised God did exist and indeed does exist became a believer when I was 17. True story.
    FYPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I honestly don't get how it is so "obvious" that God doesn't exist. Would you like to explain how?

Hi Jakkass.

If by "God" you mean an omniscient, benevolent and omnipotent being, then I'd be interested in your brief thoughts from a Christian perspective on the the Epicurean paradox - if there is evil in the world, such a God cannot know about it, care about it and be able to do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

o please, not another them" versus us thread" this type of bull****e is sooooo boring,
    full marks for stirring the ****e, especially with easter upon us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement