Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Off Microsoft scam

Options
  • 21-04-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Had 2 phonecalls this week alone from a 'dedicated team of Microsoft engineers'..
    Apparently my computer has been sending 'error messages' and I am infected with spyware and the kind gentlemen on the phone have offered to help by giving me a command to type into the RUN box..:D
    I quite enjoyed these calls, kept them on the phone for 25 mins first time round pretending to struggle with his instructions..
    Whats the rate for a call to Ireland from Lagos anyway..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

at the end of it, you should ask them if you should switch the computer on before carrying out their instructions :D:D and then ask them to go through it all again.

Also, make sure you give them an anglo Irish bank account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Earth Traveller

BengaLover wrote: »
    Whats the rate for a call to Ireland from Lagos anyway..

Actually very little as they are probably using VOIP based service like this:

VoipCheap offers FREE calls to Ireland landlines

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This scam has been going around a long time.
    Can anyone give me one good reasone why they think microsoft engineers would really care whether your computer was infected??
    Not to mention offering to fix it for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

KoolKid wrote: »
    This scam has been going around a long time.
    Can anyone give me one good reasone why they think microsoft engineers would really care whether your computer was infected??
    Not to mention offering to fix it for you??

'Offering to fix it for you' often means selling something to you, I guess ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Advertisement
Advertisement