Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earls/Wild Geese in WWI

Options
  • 21-04-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

In the military exhibition in Collins Barracks is mentioned that some members of the Irish noble families were involved during the WWI in the armies of Germany and Austro-Hungary.
    I am not about Casement's brigade, but about individuals tracing their line directly to the families involved in The Flight of the Earls or in the Wild Geese flight. I know it's a bit general, but I hope that you know what I am about here :confused:

There is an aircraft model of one of these an A-H Navy Flying Corps ace, but I can't remember the name and can't find anything on the web.

Thanks

PS: found a little bit after all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottfried_von_Banfield well he's got nothing to do with the events above, looks like...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This rings a bell.

There is a photograph of one guy isn't there ? A person of Irish descent who won I believe the Iron Cross 1st Class, or maybe some high Prussian award ?

From memory he was in a white uniform and may have had a connection to the flying corps. This was in the area of Collins Barracks which was not too far from the Confederate flag & Pikeman if memory serves.

__

The 'Irish at war' exhibition had biographical information about Irish people from everywhere, going back to the Flight of the Earls up to the American Confederate and Yankee civil war, napoleonic wars, franco-prussian, basically every major war. Including the first world war.

Seperate to that Casements brigade are represented in the main hall 'WW1 exhibition' with the 'Irish regiment of the German army' a very rare German WWI uniform with shamrock embroidery and insignia.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

That's it, if you look at the wiki link, he was awarded Maria Theresia Order and he has some Iron cross award on the chest too...

I got the impression, how it is presented in the exhibition, that he was descendand of an Irish noble family who left the country during one of those episodes, but what they are writing in there is, that his Grandfather was soldier in the British army married to Austrian while stationed in Bavaria... I pressume born in Ireland or into Irish family?

Anyway, if anyone have some info about some others, it would be appriciated

This might be interesting:

https://online.uni-graz.at/kfu_online/lv_tx.wbDisplaySemplanDoc?pStpSplDsNr=615

I went through the Collins barracks museum site earlier but could not find that, infact they seem reluctant to even mention the word 'military' in any of the Irish museum sites, preferring 'Decorative Arts and History'.

This :
    http://www.flieger-album.de/geschichte/portraits/banfieldgottfriedfreiherrvon.php

seems to confirm he had an Irish father, but not a whole lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

There was quite a tradition of Irish families in the service of the Austrian Empire. Indeed in 1853 there was an assassination attempt on the young Emperor Franz Josef (who was still in charge at the start of WWI) which was foiled by an officer with the magnificent handle of Maximilian Karl Lamoral Graf O’Donnell von Tyrconnell.

Sure where else would someone called O'Donnell be from if not Tyrconnell?

Morlar wrote: »
    This might be interesting:

https://online.uni-graz.at/kfu_online/lv_tx.wbDisplaySemplanDoc?pStpSplDsNr=615

I went through the Collins barracks museum site earlier but could not find that, infact they seem reluctant to even mention the word 'military' in any of the Irish museum sites, preferring 'Decorative Arts and History'.

This :
    http://www.flieger-album.de/geschichte/portraits/banfieldgottfriedfreiherrvon.php

seems to confirm he had an Irish father, but not a whole lot more than that.

The German written article is the same as on the wiki page. The Museum flyer gives the impression, again, that von Banfield was in fact descendant of the 'Wild Geese' family as the title is 'Wild Geese in the Austrian Army', yet it says that his father was born in Cork - I pressume that Banfield's grandfather returned with his Austrian wife to live there. I know that I might be fussy here, but it's kinda confusing.
    Nevertheless von Banfield is surely interesting figure and, I think, should stand side by side with Mannock, Mcelroy and other Irish aviators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

FiSe wrote: »
    Nevertheless von Banfield is surely interesting figure and, I think, should stand side by side with Mannock, Mcelroy and other Irish aviators.

A noble sentiment. Which is not diminished in the least by the fact that Mannock was not Irish. At all.

He was the son of a Scottish soldier who was posted to various locations around these islands during his career, as well as South Africa, and so young "Mick" may have spent part of his youth here. But paying an occasional visit to a stable does not make a man a horse.

A noble sentiment. Which is not diminished in the least by the fact that Mannock was not Irish. At all.

He was the son of a Scottish soldier who was posted to various locations around these islands during his career, as well as South Africa, and so young "Mick" may have spent part of his youth here. But paying an occasional visit to a stable does not make a man a horse.

I believe that his mother was Irish and he himself was born in Cork/?/ will look that up, so don't qote me on that - as yet ;)

Here, according to Bob Montgomery's article in Flying In Ireland from February 2009, Issue 2, vol 5:
    '...Edward Mannock's mother Julia O'Sullivan met his father, Corporal Mannock, while 2nd Inniskilling Dragoons were based at Ballincollig in Cork......Edward was apparently born at Preston Cavalry barracks, Brighton on May 24th 1889...'

So yes, my bad, he wasn't born in Cork and he wasn't Irish by the place of birth, but we can assume that he was at least half Irish after his mother. Furthermore from the same article:

'....Reportedly, Edward or 'Pat' as he was known in the family......and was a vocal supporter of Home Rule, believing in an 'Irish Ireland' and always supporting the assumption that he was Irish, yet he never moved 'home'. ....'

I do believe that this article is well researched. I would, nevertheless, welcome any more detailed information on this guy, which might shed a different light on his origin.

FiSe wrote: »
    Here, according to Bob Montgomery's article in Flying In Ireland from February 2009, Issue 2, vol 5:
    '...Edward Mannock's mother Julia O'Sullivan met his father, Corporal Mannock, while 2nd Inniskilling Dragoons were based at Ballincollig in Cork......Edward was apparently born at Preston Cavalry barracks, Brighton on May 24th 1889...'

So yes, my bad, he wasn't born in Cork and he wasn't Irish by the place of birth, but we can assume that he was at least half Irish after his mother. Furthermore from the same article:

'....Reportedly, Edward or 'Pat' as he was known in the family......and was a vocal supporter of Home Rule, believing in an 'Irish Ireland' and always supporting the assumption that he was Irish, yet he never moved 'home'. ....'

I do believe that this article is well researched. I would, nevertheless, welcome any more detailed information on this guy, which might shed a different light on his origin.

I believe he was born in Cork. I believe some have tried to claim he was born in brighton but I have seen documentaries on him which weighed the likely options and concluded that he was indeed born in Cork. Also that he considered himself Irish.

Advertisement