Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent paid in advance or arrears

Options
  • 21-04-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

A friend of a friend's moved into my spare room last Friday and I had given her my bank account details to pay the rent into as she wanted to pay it weekly rather than monthly. By Tuesday evening there was no deposit made to my account so I mentioned it to her that evening and she thought that she could pay it this Friday i.e. a week in arrears, I said no usually you pay a week in advance and she was embarrassed and said she'd give me the money tomorrow i.e. Wednesday - which never happened. I missed her this morning so I have sent her a text just saying sorry I missed you this morning but do you mind just depositing the money in my account sometime today.

My query is isn't rent usually paid in advance not arrears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Rent is paid in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Definitely paid in advance if paying privately. Problem is the SW pays in arrears if she is on RA, so could that be the issue? Did you get a deposit off her?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

no didn't get deposit off her but I am not worried about that I know her she is a friend of a friends and I know her sister.

I think she just didn't realise it was to be paid in advance think its her first time out of home - I am sure she will pay it today and sure if not I'll say it to again and get her to set up a stand order form. No social welfare or rent allowance aren't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

shoes34 wrote: »
    no didn't get deposit off her but I am not worried about that I know her she is a friend of a friends and I know her sister.

You're too trusting. You really, really should get a deposit.

Friends are fine, until they have problems, then they're no longer friends.

I learned this, from experience. A nasty lesson to learn, trust me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Agree with Paul. Look at it this way: one week in, and you already have a problem (seems to be more than a misunderstanding to me, as she told you it's be in Wednesday and you don't have the rent yet). Even if the friend and sister "side" with you if there is a serious problem, that is no guarantee you will be paid

Do you have a lease with her? A written contract can eliminate problems later, for both sides. Include notice period, what day rent is to be in your account, late fees and get a deposit off her- both in case of missing rent and for any damages when she moves out. As you hadn't arranged a deposit with her before, maybe let her pay it in installments over the next month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Id give her the benefit of the doubt, most likely just wasnt aware it is meant to be in advance, youd be surprised by the amount that dont know how it goes and possibly she was trying to avoid you being too embarrassed to say she didnt have the money until friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It probably is a misunderstanding, but as has been suggested above I'd look at putting her tenancy on a more formal footing with some kind of lease agreement re rent, deposit, bills, notice for termination of tenancy, etc. (and even regarding friends staying over, use of off street parking, use of communal rooms (i.e. kitchen, living room). It may seem trivial until you read previous threads in the forum). That way if problems should arise then both parties should know where they stand, esp as things can get awkward with friends of friends.

And to answer your original question: yes, rent is usually paid in advance.

Advertisement