Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Meh, sure they did the same in Clare when President Bush came over to Dromoland.

OP, you'd be having a heart attack right now if you lived in Moneygall.

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform.

Maybe he met a pregnant lady as he walked down from Fitzgibbon St. I heard if they want to use a helmet as a toilet a garda cannot refuse :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I heard if they want to use a helmet as a toilet a garda cannot refuse :rolleyes:
    Untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Of course I know it's untrue :D

You missed the rolleyes at the end of the sentance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mea culpa..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

psni wrote: »
    Untrue.

Oops..

No wonder Stores wasn't happy when I applied for a new hat. :D

On Topic: Although I haven't read the entire thread will there be repercussions for those who aren't at home/haven't answered the door? One wonders..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I hope they find her soon. I'd hate for her to miss the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

talla10 wrote: »
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You actually believe this????????

If the garda isnt wearing a hat it doesnt make a bit of difference.

Oops. Egg on my face.
    No flies on you buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform.

There are no words. Sweet jesus are we still in 1922?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

FACT: if a member of an garda siochana is not wearing his/her hat as per uniform, the specific garda will have a colder head. fact:D

sdonn wrote: »
    There are no words. Sweet jesus are we still in 1922?

nope, i make it 21:03

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

FACT: if a member of an garda siochana is not wearing his/her hat as per uniform, the specific garda will have a colder head. fact:D
    nope, i make it 21:03

If you dont post on topic you will be infracted....FACT

Also it was 21:04 when you posted......your watch is slow

NGA wrote: »
    If you dont post on topic you will be infracted....FACT

Also it was 21:04 when you posted......your watch is slow

a lot of the previous posts were about the garda wearing of uniforms hats etc so it was on topic. it was just a bit of humour on the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Back on topic

In light of the statement from the "IRA" yesterday specifically targetting the queen's visit (and by default therefore targeting venues in the 26 counties) do the people who so vehemently opposed house searches earlier in this thread still hold that opinion or are the Gardai's actions now justified in their opinions????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Back on topic

In light of the statement from the "IRA" yesterday specifically targetting the queen's visit (and by default therefore targeting venues in the 26 counties) do the people who so vehemently opposed house searches earlier in this thread still hold that opinion or are the Gardai's actions now justified in their opinions????

the opinion is even more valid - if the Gardai still wish to search houses along the route then, in the light of the upsurge on armed Republican activity, it will take them even less time to convince a judge that he/she should issue a warrant to allow them to carry out that search regardless of the views of the householder.

like another poster, i have deep scepticisim about the purpose of the request - unlike many here, i have actual experience of searching for large explosive devices both in urban and rural environments. i could not possibly say that a route had been searched/cleared if the 'search' had involved a couple of jokers mooching around a house for 3 minutes and then pissing off to the next place on their list. such a 'search' could only, imv, be veiwed as a fishing expedition to discover the awkward squad and allow the local SB to concentrate on them.

if you want to search a louse for a large explosive device or for weapons, you'd be wanting to have at least 6 blokes doing the searching - it would take 30-40 minutes at least and you'd have all the floorboards up and the water tanks opened. anything less is just makey-uppy rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

OS119 wrote: »
    i could not possibly say that a route had been searched/cleared if the 'search' had involved a couple of jokers mooching around a house for 3 minutes and then pissing off to the next place on their list. such a 'search' could only, imv, be veiwed as a fishing expedition to discover the awkward squad and allow the local SB to concentrate on them.

if you want to search a louse for a large explosive device or for weapons, you'd be wanting to have at least 6 blokes doing the searching - it would take 30-40 minutes at least and you'd have all the floorboards up and the water tanks opened. anything less is just makey-uppy rubbish...

I think you nailed it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

do AGS not have dogs that can search for explosives?
    Please tell me they do!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I had a couple of members into my office there last week.

Re-assured them that we're all west brits in the law library, nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

stimpson wrote: »
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Distrust and caution are the parents of security.
    Benjamin Franklin

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
    John F. Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

redsurfer wrote: »
    Distrust and caution are the parents of security.
    Benjamin Franklin

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
    John F. Kennedy

both of which apply to householders concerned about the potential encroachment of the state into areas not already legislated for as much as they apply to nation staes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

foinse wrote: »
    It is the state that gives the power to the Garda, not the uniform, Gardai have the exact same power out of uniform as they do when in full uniform.

As for the poster who mentioned the US, Have you seen what they do when they move their own president around? It's a lot more invasive than a local police coming around for a look. Up to and including welding manhole covers shut. Oh and my favourite, telling people not to come to work that day.....no reason given just don't be here when the president is.

Know a fella who is an aircraft mechanic at Worcester Regional Airport here in Massachusetts, when Bill Clinton came to see the site where the six Worcester Firemen perished, he landed at that airport. The Secret Service made all of them stand in the middle of the hanger while the plane landed, and the office staff were told not to look out the windows ! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

foinse wrote: »

As for the poster who mentioned the US, Have you seen what they do when they move their own president around? It's a lot more invasive than a local police coming around for a look. Up to and including welding manhole covers shut.

The only people that manhole welding shut is invasive for is sewer workers, queens and maybe ninja turtles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

An uninvited stranger is one thing. A civil servant looking to prevent a terrorist incident which throws us all back to the mid 1970s is an entirely different matter...

If theres nothing to hide, whats the problem?
    If I was unhappy with how the country is run I'd live somewhere else, rather than stay here and complain about it.
    yeah, run away, thats deffo the solution. Nah, tbh, I'd rather stay and try to change things for the better.

OP, I'm pretty shocked by this, no way would I be happy with anyone coming in searching my house for this reason. Like other posters have said too, I don't really understand it, IF I wanted to plant a bomb, I'd just do it after the checks no....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

dearg lady wrote: »
    Like other posters have said too, I don't really understand it, IF I wanted to plant a bomb, I'd just do it after the checks no....??

But they are checking to see if anything was planted in people's houses before their spy cameras were put in place. Now they will be able to see if there is any suspicious activity in which case they can search the houses that has unusual happenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

I cant believe some of the replies here, if home owners want to let AGS into look around their home in anticipation of Her Majesty's state visit fair play to them, if they they don't they are quite entitled to refuse and anybody here that criticises that choice is wrong.

Wearing my legal hat here I would safely say if a law abiding person (and by that I mean a person that has no criminal record and/or intelligence on PULSE) refused entry and AGS went off to a DC judge it would be refused and if it wasn't I would be seriously questioning its validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Had a Beangarda call to the door of the flat the other day asking for info on who lived there and what our attitudes were towards the visit. My flatmate answered the door to her and said later to me that she was nice and polite, just asked for the info, took it down and went on her way without asking to or indeed, crossing the threshold of the flat.

TBH I don't mind friendly calls like that, I can see the need for them, it is just prep afterall, it could be worse afterall, we could have had the full US Secret Service treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

pithater1 wrote: »
    Had a Beangarda call to the door of the flat the other day asking for info on who lived there and what our attitudes were towards the visit. My flatmate answered the door to her and said later to me that she was nice and polite, just asked for the info, took it down and went on her way without asking to or indeed, crossing the threshold of the flat.

TBH I don't mind friendly calls like that, I can see the need for them, it is just prep afterall, it could be worse afterall, we could have had the full US Secret Service treatment.

I have to question the thinking behind this exercise. Though I have nothing to hide, and appreciate only too well the job of those involved in such security operations, I too would be asking the police to go and obtain a warrant and would openly state that I fail to see how my views on such a visit are relevant to any security operation.

Likewise, the police have access to the census data if they wish to know who is residing at a given address. This whole exercise smacks of a fishing trip.

I would not cooperate quite simply as Billy RIRA isn't going to answer the door to AGS and isn't going to be caught out with such probing questions as: "Do you like the Queen?"

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Likewise, the police have access to the census data if they wish to know who is residing at a given address.

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

No? Are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I have to question the thinking behind this exercise. Though I have nothing to hide, and appreciate only too well the job of those involved in such security operations, I too would be asking the police to go and obtain a warrant and would openly state that I fail to see how my views on such a visit are relevant to any security operation.

Likewise, the police have access to the census data if they wish to know who is residing at a given address. This whole exercise smacks of a fishing trip.

I would not cooperate quite simply as Billy RIRA isn't going to answer the door to AGS and isn't going to be caught out with such probing questions as: "Do you like the Queen?"

Ah don't get me wrong, I think its a complete and utter waste of Garda time and resources. Dare I say it but it stinks of a way of getting some easy overtime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement