Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

seamus wrote: »
    It's not like they're going to be rifling through your underwear.
    where would they look.? if looking for explosives they would have to look through underwear as well as attic etc. Or do people with explosives display them in the hallway or in the window box?

Thoie wrote: »
    My neighbourhood is one of those that has been visited over the last few weeks. No mention was made of a search, though the gardaí did manage to get me, and a number of my neighbours out of bed. Which was probably more of a shock to them than us - though at least they're now sure I wasn't concealing anything. I answered the questions at the time (half asleep), I understand they were just doing their job. "Will you be at home while the British Queen/American President passes?" was a bit of a stumper. They couldn't tell me when that would happen, and I couldn't answer without knowing when.

I'd be pretty unenthused about having my home searched without warning. I don't even let my friends in without tidying up and would prefer the opportunity to put away the laundry on the clothes horse, file away my private papers. I'm uncomfortable with strangers looking around my house. I live my life in accordance with the laws and implement security measures precisely so that there's no reason for strangers to wander in. I'd like to say no if someone asks if they can search my home.

Sadly, if someone surprises me with the question "May we come in?" my automatic reaction is to say "Sure" before it's registered. So my only hope is to not answer the door until the whole thing has blown over.
    or think before you act

Locust wrote: »
    If they want to search your house bottom line - they'll have a warrant and it will be searched.

And they can wear a pair of shorts and t-shirts if they want while doing it.
    If you want to refuse them entry on a lawful warrant or get in their way, 'exercising your constitutional rights?' - you'll end up with your door lawfully being put in and getting lawfully arrested. Then you'll be given a nice printed out copy of your rights.

A bit ott - maybe, invasion of privacy? - yeah i suppose. Is the Queen not rich enough to fly by chopper - of course she is but they always have contingency plans. But best just let them search it, its a state visit, I wouldn't have thought they would search houses along a route without good reason to...
    no garda has any right to kick in a door without having reasonable suspicion and would not get a warrant without it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Resend wrote: »
    or think before you act
    Never going to happen in that situation. I generally think before I speak, but there are certain stock conversations that bypass thinking and head straight to the part of your brain that was knitted by your granny*

"How are you?" - grand
    "Here's your change" - thanks
    "Will you put the kettle on?" - of course
    "May I come in?" - sure... d'oh

*As yet unproven scientific theory - to date MRIs have not shown the existence of hand knitted parts of the brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bofh666ie

redsurfer wrote: »
    It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
    John F. Kennedy

And he stole it from Vegetius. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hi all, I was at home the other day when a knock on the door revealed a uniformed gardai who was looking for a list of the people living in the house. This is because the queen's route "may" be passing this way and so everyone needs to be cleared. Now I don't really have a problem with this, but she then informed me that closer to the time several gardai would be coming down to search the house for explosives. Apparently every house, along possible routes, will be searched and inspected.

Now I have nothing to hide, however I think this is a pretty big invasion of privacy. I'm not planning on having her over for tea and scones after all.
    The amount this visit is costing aside (though my own personal view is that a private visit means its nothing to do with the gardai and nothing to do with me and so they should have to pay/cover at least some of the cost).

Oh I was just informed that she'll also most likely be travelling by helicopter too which means its even more unlikely that she'll be taking any of the several roads that they are searching.

So do they gardai need a search warrent or not to enter my premises?

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Invite the Gardaí in for a cuppa tea. Go on, go on, go on, ya will, ya will, ya will...

Thoie wrote: »
    Never going to happen in that situation. I generally think before I speak, but there are certain stock conversations that bypass thinking and head straight to the part of your brain that was knitted by your granny*

"How are you?" - grand
    "Here's your change" - thanks
    "Will you put the kettle on?" - of course
    "May I come in?" - sure... d'oh

*As yet unproven scientific theory - to date MRIs have not shown the existence of hand knitted parts of the brain.
    not if you become aware of them. you can learn to think before you act

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'd get a few rocks from the garden, put them in a box.

Cover it with duct tape and write bomb on it.

Then place it on the table.

When the gards arrive just hand it to them and say, well at least you've found the bomb you don't need to invade my privacy anymore. Bring it back to your superintendent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'd get a few rocks from the garden, put them in a box.

Cover it with duct tape and write bomb on it.

Then place it on the table.

When the gards arrive just hand it to them and say, well at least you've found the bomb you don't need to invade my privacy anymore. Bring it back to your superintendent.

Thats a great way to get a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

And a great way to have a lot more of your time wasted as you will be arrested and brought in for questioning and may be held for up to a week under the offences against the state act.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Was chatting to a few local members based in rural areas in the Tipperary Division, and they were telling me how a lot of Gardai in rural areas are being moved to different divisions across the country next week including Cork City & Limerick divisions in order to free up resources for the state visit.

They were basically saying that patrols in rural areas will be severely disrupted next week as the divisions will be low on manpower, with all patrols only operating out of the district stations and mainly responding to only calls. They were inclined to hint that there could be a lot of opportunistic criminals out and about next week, so beware. Just because you are not in the Dublin region does not mean Garda resources in your area will not be redeployed.

SO that info is a bit operationally sensitive to be posting on a public forum don't you think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

foinse wrote: »
    SO that info is a bit operationally sensitive to be posting on a public forum don't you think??

Not really. It was on the radio there. Besides, he is incorrect. There will be no shortage of manpower anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Some interesting footage on the security operation HERE

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Not really. It was on the radio there. Besides, he is incorrect. There will be no shortage of manpower anywhere.

It might have been on the radio that there are members being brought up to Dublin for the visit, but the second paragraph is sensitive information, and will give information to those whose hands it should not be in. Guessing that manpower will be affected is one thing, having it confirmed is something completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Yes but the Jackeens are all locked up, so it is not a problem

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not really considering its common knowledge that Garda redeployment is occurring to cater for the event and it has been discussed within the media. Pretty common knowledge amongst my home community, and the local Gardai are advising people to be extra vigilant next week as a result - and I am advising that same vigilance here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Resend wrote: »
    where would they look.? if looking for explosives they would have to look through underwear as well as attic etc. Or do people with explosives display them in the hallway or in the window box?

Where do you keep yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

OP. Did they find her yet?

Not really considering its common knowledge that Garda redeployment is occurring to cater for the event and it has been discussed within the media. Pretty common knowledge amongst my home community, and the local Gardai are advising people to be extra vigilant next week as a result - and I am advising that same vigilance here.

Judging from your information at the side of your post, you're in Dublin, an area where the queen will be visiting. Dublin will be the most heavily policed place in the country that day (public info) Gardai will be telling people in your locality to be extra vigilant in terms of terrorism or potential terrorist threats.

A completely different case to what your second paragraph states. ( not public info). I know it might seem insignificant to you, but i'm pretty sure that the members in the Tipperary Division who told you something in confidence, would not be happy with the fact that you're putting that information on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

bubblypop wrote: »
    in 2004, ireland held the presidency of the EU for 6 months.
    dublin castle was were pretty much all events took place.

every person who worked in dublin castle ( revenue staff, tribrunial staff, events office staff etc etc) were ALL subject to security checks before they were allowed to work inside in the castle.
    everyone living within half mile radius, the same thing! including apartments, where a few brothels were uncovered!!!!

if they didnt pass, did not allow the check, they dint get in. simples.

lots of states of head, presidents and prime ministers were in the country for months around our presidency of the EU. never heard any complaints for those 6 months!!

these people aren't applying for jobs, they are not actively seeking anything. They didn't personally invite the queen, request she travels (may or may not) along their road or apply for tickets to any events involving the queen. They are living their lives quietly, minding their own business.

I can understand the need for backround checks etc, its just very excessive to ask people to search their homes on the off chance the queen might pass.

But sure no amount of bitching about it on boards.ie is going to make a difference.

Judging from your information at the side of your post, you're in Dublin, an area where the queen will be visiting. Dublin will be the most heavily policed place in the country that day (public info) Gardai will be telling people in your locality to be extra vigilant in terms of terrorism or potential terrorist threats.

A completely different case to what your second paragraph states. ( not public info). I know it might seem insignificant to you, but i'm pretty sure that the members in the Tipperary Division who told you something in confidence, would not be happy with the fact that you're putting that information on the internet.

Im actually in North Tipperary currently - and the information was not told in confidence, it is being told to everyone in my Neighbourhood Watch area. We have been told be extra vigilant next week as opportunists may be out in force, doesn't exactly take a genius to recognise the possibility of that occurring.

I am not an idiot - I certainly would not post any information that was told to me in confidence by a member serving in the force considering it could have consequences for their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

NGA wrote: »
    If you dont post on topic you will be infracted....FACT

Also it was 21:04 when you posted......your watch is slow

tut tut obviously no sense of humour and infractions for reply.....a bit childish dont you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

Did they find her yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

bigneacy wrote: »
    Did they find her yet? :D

Wondering that myself :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

IBL, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Esel wrote: »
    IBL, tbh.
    Just as well...

Thread has run its course.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement