Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't connect to internet

• 21-04-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have a Samsung N130 netbook for the last 2 years & it's perfect for work, etc. However last Thursday I downloaded a free trial of AVG anti virus software and almost immediately after the download, the computer would no longer connect to the internet. I was using my vodafone broadband 'dongle' at the time. At work I cannot even get the computer to find the wireless network. At home I have perlico broadband and again it cannot find the wireless network & when I connect directly to the router it wouldn't connect. I've removed the AVG since but still no luck.
    Help please??!!! I'm not very technical so keep the advice simple please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

it's possible that a file was infected and quarantined by AVG. what Windows platform do you have, e.g. Vista, Windows 7? could try to run a Windows update by clicking on Start and type Windows Update into the text box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sweetnuts

Sempai wrote: »
    it's possible that a file was infected and quarantined by AVG. what Windows platform do you have, e.g. Vista, Windows 7? could try to run a Windows update by clicking on Start and type Windows Update into the text box.
    I'm using Windows XP (Home Edition). When I click on start, I don't appear to have a text box to type 'Windows Update'?

my apologies, but since you can't connect to Internet you won't be able to update it from the laptop. you could also try a system restore, which means that you can reset the laptop to a date before last thursday. XP creates restore points every week or fortnight. Go to Start, Program Files, System Tools and select System Restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

You really need to check the AVG log files to see if it renamed or deleted any files. The log files may still exist, even though you removed the application.

Log file directory is here, according to below article.

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\AVG7\Log\

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/48545-avg-message-queue-log-directory-locations.html

Sempai wrote: »
    my apologies, but since you can't connect to Internet you won't be able to update it from the laptop. you could also try a system restore, which means that you can reset the laptop to a date before last thursday. XP creates restore points every week or fortnight. Go to Start, Program Files, System Tools and select System Restore.
    Did that and it keeps telling me that no changes have been made to my system and it asks me to choose a different restore point. I've tried loads of restore points and I keep getting the same message

• Advertisement

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-tools

If you have access to another computer, download avg remover, depends what version you installed, and copy it on your netbook. I'd also download malwarebytes and run it as well, may detect other viruses

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

1st we need to see if it's a network issue or could be a settings issue .

Can you connect the laptop to router.

click START -> RUN and type cmd

You'll get a black window .

type "ping 192.1681.1 or 192.168.1.254"

Hit enter.

And post the request here .

mach, did that and here's the reply:

pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
    Packets: sent=4, received=0, lost=4 (100% loss),

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

sweetnuts wrote: »
    mach, did that and here's the reply:

pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:

ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
    Packets: sent=4, received=0, lost=4 (100% loss),

Ok I'm think it's a problem with router can do the same but replace "ping "with "tracert" and post the results

mach here's the result:

Tracing route to 192.168.1.254 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 Destination host unreachable

Trace complete

Other computers at home working on this router are working perfectly. Also my netbook won't find the network at work or while on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Are you getting any errors when you start the PC?

An Error bubble down at the clock in the task bar telling you a Windows service failed to start by any chance?

Advertisement