Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips please

Options
  • 21-04-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

alright lads im trying to catch pollock spinning off the rocks. got no luck atall yesterday lol just wondering what is the best way to catch them ? tackle , bait or should i wait til later in the year? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

SHAD-JELLY-RIG3.jpg

Use this rig. Cast as far as possible. Leave it hit the bottom. Then retrieve slowly along the bottom. Bring plenty of leads, hooks and jelly worms. Be prepared to lose them. The big fish are down deep in the kelp. Using a slightly lesser breaking strain from the swivel to the worm can help save a few leads.

So in order from the mainline....a lead on a clip swivel, bead, swivel, trace of about 3 feet, jelly worm.

Tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

sound man, is this of year alright for them ?? or should i wait til next month?:confused:

Yeah, should be a few about but you'll start getting more and more as the water heats up. Still tho it wouldn't stop me going out after them this time of year.

alright man ill give it a shot today anyway , ill let ya know how i get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

SeaFields wrote: »

Use this rig. Cast as far as possible. Leave it hit the bottom. Then retrieve slowly along the bottom. Bring plenty of leads, hooks and jelly worms. Be prepared to lose them. The big fish are down deep in the kelp. Using a slightly lesser breaking strain from the swivel to the worm can help save a few leads.

So in order from the mainline....a lead on a clip swivel, bead, swivel, trace of about 3 feet, jelly worm.

Tight lines.

Have never tried using sp's/shads. What strenght link would you need for the mainline and the trace ?

thanks

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    Have never tried using sp's/shads. What strenght link would you need for the mainline and the trace ?

thanks

I use the rig i posted but i use jelly worms on the end of it rather than the shad thing shown. I have gotten big pollock on shads but the worms are far more effective. My main line is 15lbs. If i know the area and the snags there I'll fish 15lb line straight through. If its a new area and im unsure of the bottom i'll fish 15lb main and 12lb or 10lb trace. Sometimes this saves most of the rig if you get snagged - sometimes it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

SeaFields wrote: »
    I use the rig i posted but i use jelly worms on the end of it rather than the shad thing shown. I have gotten big pollock on shads but the worms are far more effective. My main line is 15lbs. If i know the area and the snags there I'll fish 15lb line straight through. If its a new area and im unsure of the bottom i'll fish 15lb main and 12lb or 10lb trace. Sometimes this saves most of the rig if you get snagged - sometimes it doesnt.

thanks, must have a look for some rock marks to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

South easterly wind doesn't help! Sink and draw or float fishing with ragworm can also prove successful.
    Tight lines.

didnt get around to buying the new gear so just went out with a spinner, decided not to go with a weight as it was sinking enough by itself. I was only out bout an hour and a half but happy enough catching one, no record breaker but still lol

Advertisement