Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will leahy

• 21-04-2011 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Why is he no longer popular ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Careful what you say, him and his family/friends* are boardsies who will defend him when something negative is said about his show (which is a lot). He has mentioned boards.ie a few times on the air.

*I am not related to, or friends with Will Leahy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Lucozade man

When he did the saturday afternoon show a few years ago he was one of the most listened to radio presentrs in the country but now all he has is a pathetic 100k listeners a shocking low figure for a drivetime show on national radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Who? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He was great on the Saturday Show but himself and Andrew O'Connor had good chemistry so that was the main reason it worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Used to enjoy his Saturday Show alright. He is quite good at what he does, just don't think it is most peoples cup of tea. Plus I think a lot of people have a bit more interest in what goes on in the world now, and may have switched away from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

He had the unbearable Laura Woods (her of the D4, marbles-in-her-mouth accent) as his sidekick for a good while. She seems to have been ditched now in favour of a more "all-music" approach, but maybe it's too late! He still does a lot of brain-dead phone-in quizzes which is definitely my cue to switch over.

Then there's the gaining popularity of the likes of i102-104 in the West/mid-west, where Leahy would have had a strong following.

And, as Elvis has said, more and more people are switching to the current affairs shows these days I reckon.

Yeah, the Saturday Show was decent, it was a "talked-about" radio show, like Foley on Today FM is now - the sort of thing 2FM can only dream about these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

I think he's past his sell by date! He's good at what he does and the Saturday Show was good because it was new and a bit of craic. Thing is though, he's just now doing 'The Saturday Show' at half 4 every evening. The whole thing doesn't seem to have evolved/moved on significantly. On a Saturday I'd be happy to hear some lad acting the eejit on the radio but after a day's work, it's a bit much really on the way home. I can't listen to him at all really. Then again I really am more of a Matt Cooper person that time of the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

saturday show used to be great , but stopped listenin to his drivetime show months ago ,he's turned into a bit of a mammy's boy and its like he terrified of saying something politically incorrect or anything that might rub someone up the wrong way, show has no edge to it at all , i like i105's chris greene theres a guy who doesnt give a **** if he offends somebody and none of the doom n gloom of current affairs programmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Again I don't think you can blame Will Leahy entirely for the poor listenership but if he's working at a law practice all day and then heading to a studio in Limerick to do his "gig" I would have to question the commitment to the show. Needless to say someone will tell us that he's fully committed but if it was me I'd be either doing one or the other. It must be a difficult task trying to balance both careers. We re only human after all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Think he should be double jobbing with 400+k unemployed? Bad for the old public relations that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I love Will, I loved his saturday show and I hope his show doesnt get axed, dont know what i'd do without my Will :o

Laura Woods has been on maternity leave for the last while, easily 6 months or more. I listen to Will's show as there's only so much talk radio I can stomach - Morning Ireland is enough for me. I've no complaints about it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i used to listen to it on a saturday, but i just cant get into a show like that at a drivetime time, but maybe i am out of the demographic. Maybe have him from 6-9 or 10??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Anyone listening to his show just now? He just played the daily song for someone called Elisabeth whose baby had just passed away. I was sure he was crying while reading out the e-mail, it was very touching but extremely sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Far prefer listening to Will than listening to Matt Cooper moaning.......

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Thats why i have stopped listening actually - the daily song seems to have turned into a daily obituary and its just so sad and depressing.. so many tragedies involving young people and babies, it was just awful..

Tomato wrote: »
    Thats why i have stopped listening actually - the daily song seems to have turned into a daily obituary and its just so sad and depressing.. so many tragedies involving young people and babies, it was just awful..

That wasn't my observation, to me it seems to be loved up couples who show up the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jaydeep

bbability wrote: »
    Again I don't think you can blame Will Leahy entirely for the poor listenership but if he's working at a law practice all day and then heading to a studio in Limerick to do his "gig" I would have to question the commitment to the show. Needless to say someone will tell us that he's fully committed but if it was me I'd be either doing one or the other. It must be a difficult task trying to balance both careers. We re only human after all..

He had all week to get a show on Saturday together, and it was good.

If you let Micheal Cahill produce your show then prepare to fail.

Rubbish dj's make rubbish producers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

jaydeep wrote: »
    He had all week to get a show on Saturday together, and it was good.

If you let Micheal Cahill produce your show then prepare to fail.

Rubbish dj's make rubbish producers.

Ah that's unfair. I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I never remember Michael Cahill being particularly bad. He always came across as a nice chirpy guy and I never had any reason to start to hate him, but then he wasn't around on a long term basis too so that may be a factor but there are/were far worse out there.

[I'm not friends with Michael Cahill or related to him in any way]

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭louise5754

Ah I like Will Leahy his wife had a baby this week too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

When he did the saturday afternoon show a few years ago he was one of the most listened to radio presentrs in the country but now all he has is a pathetic 100k listeners a shocking low figure for a drivetime show on national radio.

At one time he was the most listen to programme for 15 to 34 year old but he started back in 99 before the good days of Newstalk and Today FM and other smaller radio stations, huge competition came in after that
    He was great on the Saturday Show but himself and Andrew O'Connor had good chemistry so that was the main reason it worked well.

Used to always listen on a Saturday but never listen to his drivetime show maybe i'm getting old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

will's jokes are lame and hes such a girl in the way he goes on. but hes not the worst of them, seems a nice guy in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I like the guy and the banter with the sports guys,he used to have a great craic with eamon horan but he left the country for a while,back on the tv now but not on with will anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Who is he?

Advertisement