Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle and Irish Times

Options
  • 21-04-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I currently subscribe to the Irish Times epaper and read it on my PC.

I am checking out a Kindle at the moment. I see from the Irish Times website I can download the newspaper via a USB cable to the Kindle.

Also the website says I can access the epaper on a mobile device by entering the address http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com I assume Kindle can't handle this? (The Kindle can't handle pictures, diagrams, etc so the paper has to be formatted in a certain way. Right?)

Is there anyway of getting the Irish Times delivered to a Kindle over Wifi using the epaper subscription I already have?

PS Kindle on their website have an option to subscribe to the Irish Times but its $22/month. The subscription I already have is €9/month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You can use Calibre to download the times daily and have it e-mailed to your Kindle but it doesn't do pictures although it is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I just got an email from the Irish Times epaper customer support and they said the full Irish Times epaper can't be sent to a Kindle over Wifi - I can only get it by downloading the epaper from my PC via USB. (But for some reason if I subscribe to the Irish Times on amazon.com I can get the epaper delivered every morning to my Kindle 3.)

Reading the calibre website I think they can only send the free content of the Irish Times to a Kindle. Am I right in saying that?

From what I've seen it's the full paper but none of the supplements and no pictures.

What sort of file downloads to your computer?
    Perhaps you could schedule it to be e-mailed from your own computer and then you'd be able to access via wireless. It would still require your computer to be on but at least you wouldn't have to be plugging it in all the time.

I read the epaper each day on my PC with PressReader software - the epaper is an exact copy of the printed paper. I subscribe to it. This is the website: http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

At the moment for a Kindle the only option I have from the epaper website is to convert the epaper to Kindle format and download to a Kindle via a USB.

AFAIK, the calibre website using a 'Receipe', updates your Kindle with the free content available on www.irishtimes.com only. I want the full paper.

I don't mind downloading via USB (obviously easier with Wifi). I am in the middle of checking out whether to get an iPad or a Kindle so I just want to check out the various options. The Irish Times would be a big part of my reading each day. From I what I heard the Kindle is better for reading than the iPad so I'll probably go with that. (Plus its cheaper!)

I just downloaded the full Irish Times and the format is .mobi for Kindle. I viewed this as an ebook on the calibre software to get an idea of how it would look on Kindle. TBH, it doesn't look great and would nearly put me off getting a Kindle. Its much better reading it on a PC.

• Advertisement

I would definitely agree that the Kindle is far better than the iPad for reading but when it comes to papers the iPad has the upper hand since it can reproduce the paper almost exactly like the real thing whereas the Kindle has obvious limitations in this regard.

I've just trialled the Irish Times subscription there for the Kindle from the Amazon site. It's £15 for the month so works out at approximately €0.60 per issue. It has no pictures which is a shame but not really necessary. It also has no crossword which is strange considering the Kindle should be able to work with crosswords. Of today's supplements "The Ticket" is there but the business section isn't, no idea why. Everything else appears to be there and the menu system for navigation is very easy to use though considering the absent content I don't think I would recommend it.

I suppose the big advantage of getting the Irish Times subscription thru Amazon is it's delivered direct to your Kindle everyday over Wifi.

I have the PC subscription and the format is eactly like the print version. The only problem is it can be tiring on the eyes reading from a monitor and uncomfortable sitting on a office chair for long periods too! One advantage though with the PC sub is I can download to the kindle aswell if I want to.

Anyways in the end I toke the plunge and ordered the kindle for €138 today. I'll use it for ebooks and I'll see how I get on with the newspaper. At least in winter I can sit in front of the fire in my living room on a comfortable couch reading the kindle/paper/ebook rather than reading off the PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Have been using kindle over wifi to read The Irish Times daily, its great, no need for USB, it there ready for me to read every morning for my breakfast....:D

cailineile wrote: »
    Have been using kindle over wifi to read The Irish Times daily, its great, no need for USB, it there ready for me to read every morning for my breakfast....:D

cailineile,

* do you subscribe to the Irish Times on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

* do you get all the supplements - another poster mentioned they didn't get all the supplements with one issue?

* I subscribe directly to the Irish Times for the epaper for my PC and then download to my Kindle. I would prefer to get it via WiFi. The biggest problem I have is the "typos" on the downloaded Kindle version - there are numerous examples of words joined together where there should be spaces - especially in headings. It's annoying. Do you get "typos" in your Wifi version?

Advertisement