Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to study?

• 21-04-2011 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice. Doing English, History, Politics, Celtic Civ, in first year Arts. Just wondering whats the best way of going about them. Like for English would a general gist of the novels/plays be good enough. Same for the other subjects. If any of ye think ye might be any help please let me know. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

closeline wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice. Doing English, History, Politics, Celtic Civ, in first year Arts. Just wondering whats the best way of going about them. Like for English would a general gist of the novels/plays be good enough. Same for the other subjects. If any of ye think ye might be any help please let me know. Thanks very much.

Thread title: 'what to study?'

Study them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

For english it helps if you know the plot, but a knowledge of the themes should get you through. Like the issue of gender usually props up somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Celtic Civ: If you do nothing else, READ THE TAIN. It'll get you through a lot. Hope you went to tutorials this year - the notes from them are invaluable and can make up answers without any other reading - but use the sourcepacks from the 4 hour lending area in the library if you want high marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Study them all.

Well that's helpful.

OP lf I were you look at past exams papers on booleweb for your modules.
    http://booleweb.ucc.ie/ If you're on campus you don't need to log in, but if you're using your home connection you will need to register( Doesn't take long).

If you're panicking about study and may have left it too late you can use the past papers to give you an idea of question structure and topics and themes that come up often. Although I wouldn't recommend just doing this as lectures can( and possibly will ) completely change questions from 'patterns' that you might notice in past papers. This isn't the leaving cert at the end of the day.

Another thing might be to get in contact with your lecturer they might sometimes mention topics that would be suggested, but that does vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Celtic Civ: If you do nothing else, READ THE TAIN. It'll get you through a lot. Hope you went to tutorials this year - the notes from them are invaluable and can make up answers without any other reading - but use the sourcepacks from the 4 hour lending area in the library if you want high marks.
    What about Early Irish Myths and Sagas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Study them all.

;)

As for History, be weary of Gabriel Doherty's section. He's fair but the questions are worded in a way that means they are very precise. See last years exam for example. When I saw his questions I nearly had a heart attack but I got through it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Byron85 wrote: »
    ;)

As for History, be weary of Gabriel Doherty's section. He's fair but the questions are worded in a way that means they are very precise. See last years exam for example. When I saw his questions I nearly had a heart attack but I got through it anyway.

This is true. The first year exam for me was difficult enough and you really have to adhere to the question. I was talking to someone from his class last year who practically told them what was coming up but the exam was quite different and people were terribly confused. But like the above, he's fair and will give you the marks. I can't stress enough, and especially to 1st years, stick to the question - don't go and ramble about a different topic, focus on your immediate work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Early Irish Myths and Sagas - read the stories, use the notes from tutorials and classes. The Táin is pretty much the important one.
    Also, for Catrionas - the past papers all look the same, but she changed the paper last year which screwed lots of us (including me) over - don't stick to same patterns incase she tries to shake things up again!
    PM me if you need any other help with CC.

Advertisement