Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grub,Pub,Club

Options
  • 21-04-2011 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Organising a friends stag do at the end of May and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for 'atin' and drinkin'. He's a bit of a foodfan so I was wondering is there anywhere that does quality food :pac:but where a dozen or so lads wouldn't be seen as a pain in the arse?! Same for pubs in the town too! We're all (more or less!:rolleyes:) in our 30s
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

harmacist wrote: »
    Organising a friends stag do at the end of May and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for 'atin' and drinkin'. He's a bit of a foodfan so I was wondering is there anywhere that does quality food :pac:but where a dozen or so lads wouldn't be seen as a pain in the arse?! Same for pubs in the town too! We're all (more or less!:rolleyes:) in our 30s
    Cheers
    Bistro Bianconi in town would do good food and you wouldn't look out of place there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Where are ye staying? The Glasshouse do pretty good food and cater for large groups quite well. Plus you're in the centre of town and right beside all the pubs and clubs.

For finer dining try Coachlane at Donaghy's pub, you will need to ring in advance and book (I would recommend this for anywhere really considering the size of your group) - their number is 071 91 62417.

The Bistro is good but they mainly do pizza and pasta so the variety isn't great.

There is also Montmartre in the market yard, excellent food but a little on the pricey side - 071 91 69901

I hope those numbers work, I just got them from a quick google search!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I know one of your group you described as a bit of a food fan, but for large groups, you would not look at of place at the Belfry. Its not restrarant food but as pubgrub goes its quite good.

The whole building its self is called the Embasy Rooms, they do have a seperate resturant but never eaten there my self. If your in the bar you might be able to get a concession for the nightclub called Toffs, also part of the Embasy Rooms. They also have serveral Pool and Snooker Tables if thats your thing.

Across the river from there is the Velvet Rooms. Night club only but quite strict on groups. You may have to book a table to garantee entry for a group that size.

Also in town, along the river, there is the Garvouge. Late bar at the weekends with no cover charge most nights, and also have quite a varried menu in their resturant.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

If you are there on the Thursday night check out a band called The White Gorillas playing in Fiddler's Creek which is two minutes walk from the Glasshouse.

Saw them do a gig there recently and was blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

irish-stew wrote: »

The whole building its self is called the Embasy Rooms, they do have a seperate resturant but never eaten there my self. If your in the bar you might be able to get a concession for the nightclub called Envy, also part of the Embasy Rooms. They also have serveral Pool and Snooker Tables if thats your thing.

Across the river from there is the Velvet Rooms. Night club only but quite strict on groups. You may have to book a table to garantee entry for a group that size.

Also in town there is the Garvouge. Late bar at the weekends with no cover charge most nights, and also have quite a varried menu in their resturant.

The nightclub attached to The Embassy is Toffs, there is another nightclub up the street called Pure (it used to be called Envy but they changed the name, get with the times Stewie :pac: !!!). Both aren't up to much in my opinion but then again, I haven't been in them in ages. The Embassy restaurant is quite nice also, ate there once and had a lovely meal.

If you call ahead to the Velvet rooms they should reserve you a table and you just need to tell them who you are on the way in.

• Advertisement

The nightclub attached to The Embassy is Toffs, there is another nightclub up the street called Pure (it used to be called Envy but they changed the name, get with the times Stewie :pac: !!!). Both aren't up to much in my opinion but then again, I haven't been in them in ages. The Embassy restaurant is quite nice also, ate there once and had a lovely meal.

If you call ahead to the Velvet rooms they should reserve you a table and you just need to tell them who you are on the way in.

Opps, my bad, I was thinking that just after I typed it that it didn't look right. Yes, Toffs is part of the Embasy Rooms, Envy is where Pure is now.

:o

I'll fix that now EE.

Toffs is okay, was never in Pure, but was there twice when it was known as Envy, on both occasions I said never again. Velvet generally an older crowd, mid twentys plus, and quite strict sometimes on the ID and dress code.

If your looking for Bars, check out Fiddlers and Kennedys across from the Garvouge, and McHughs in the Town. Loads of other smaller bars in and around the place as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭harmacist

Cheers for all the replies lads. We're staying at the glasshouse in town alright. I'll probably book a table at Velvet for the Saturday night so.

Do you mind me askin which are the "trendy bars" and which are the "auld school proper pubs"?(Try and mix it up for the style **** and the committed drinkers!)

Surfing Saturday morning at strandhill so might grab a few drinks down there on Sat afternoon too?

Thanks again, really don't know the town at all so the advice is appreciated

Hargadons on O'Connell St would be proper Old Skool. Well refubished to look Old Skool. :D Full of snugs, a traditional menu, big huge Butcher Counter in the middle now a table, all the staff wear emaculate white aprons, etc.

Original Auld School would be Connollys on Markivelcz Road. Then there's trendy Auld School, some would be Shoot the Crows on Castle St, and McGarrigles back on O'Connell St, both with some Trad Sessions depending on the night.

Trendys would be McHughs also on Castle St, and Shenanigans on Bridge St around the corner from Velvet, to name a couple.

When your down at the Strand, head into the Strand Bar. Great food, and an even better Pint.

Fake old shkool it is so. Cheers

Fake old shkool it is so. Cheers

It is actully very nice in there, its like going back in time slighty, and not at all done up like an Irish Theme Pub if your familar with the O'Neils pubs in London.

They have actually made a genuine attempt at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

As your staying in the glass house I would probably eat there. Quite good and you may get it included in a package or a good deal.

When in Strandhill most definitely go to the Strand bar for a pint/lunch.

Route of drinking after meal I would suggest Connollys, (just beside the hotel across the river), then go up main st into Hargadons, around the corner into gratten st to Mc Hughs then on to Shoot the crows, down the lane to the river and into Kennnedys before heading over to the velvet rooms. I think if most of you are in your 30's this will suit best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If you're surfing Bella Vista do a cracking pizza in Strandhill.

I love Coach Lane myself. Plenty of big groups are common in there and the food is really good. Recently dropped their prices too.

niceoneted wrote: »
    As your staying in the glass house I would probably eat there. Quite good and you may get it included in a package or a good deal.

When in Strandhill most definitely go to the Strand bar for a pint/lunch.

Route of drinking after meal I would suggest Connollys, (just beside the hotel across the river), then go up main st into Hargadons, around the corner into gratten st to Mc Hughs then on to Shoot the crows, down the lane to the river and into Kennnedys before heading over to the velvet rooms. I think if most of you are in your 30's this will suit best.

Cheers for the pub route and for yourconfidence in our drinking stamina!:)

Any recommendations what pubs would be best for Rugby and Champion League Finals on May 28th? Few of the lads on the stag are Leinster and Man U fans...

(Personally speaking, not sure if I can bear to see Man u winning the European Cup in glorious 3D/technicolor:rolleyes:!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Any recommendations what pubs would be best for Rugby and Champion League Finals on May 28th? Few of the lads on the stag are Leinster and Man U fans...

(Personally speaking, not sure if I can bear to see Man u winning the European Cup in glorious 3D/technicolor:rolleyes:!)

The Belfry is the only place in town to watch the game,it the headquarters of the Man utd supporters club.Get there early as it will be busy.Mc Hughs or kennedys for the Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

The strand pub in strandhill might be your best bet for the matches.
    There are a selection of restaurants out there too if you want to eat. Tra Ban and jade garden (chinese) are above it and there is also bella vista next door.
    Not sure which pubs in town would be best for match - Fiddlers perhaps.
    Someone else may be able to advise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Heineken Cup final is this saturday (21st) mate......

Aye thats the big one alright, but I think the Magners Final Vs Munster is on the Saturday after
    Cheers though.

Wanted to say a big thanks for all the pointers,tips and advice folks... had that stag weekend and had a ball. Cheers Sligo:pac:

Where did you end up going harmacist?

• Advertisement

Ended up pretty much everywhere in the end! Went to Coach Lane for dinner and Velvet Rooms on the saturday night, watched the sports in Garavogue. Few pints in Connollys on the Friday, and wee bit of a pub crawl after that and no bother with it being a stag do.Great weekend.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Advertisement